PDA

View Full Version : Humphreys Photo Studio - Wick

Mamie_2
12-Mar-11, 00:00
Can anyone tell what years Humphreys operated in Wick? I particulary want to know if they were in operation before 1890?
I am trying to help identify a person in a photo that was probably taken 1880-1900. I can eliminate one person if they weren't in operation before 1890 as he died Oct 9 1890 at age 20.

Mamie

Mosser
13-Mar-11, 15:35
He occupied the studio at 4 River Street from 1895 to 1942 although he retired in 1938. John Adams, photographer, took over the studio in 1946
Mosser

Mamie_2
14-Mar-11, 16:28
Thanks very much Mosser.

Mamie

Tricia
15-Mar-11, 17:26
Mamie, I am not too sure without checking back but believe they may have been in Wick prior to 1895.
They came from Kilmarnock Ayrshire.
John Humphrey sometimes post on here. Cousin John if watching can you confirm dates?
Tricia

Mosser
16-Mar-11, 17:03
Quite right Tricia, 1881 census shows the family in Kilmarnock but by 1891 he was in Wick. 1891 census J G Humphrey is a Photo Artist aged 22 and living in Bridge Street Wick 1901 census Photographer aged 32 lodged with Emelia Sutherland at 6 Union Street, so he was in Wick before 1895, I was fixated on the River Street Studio.
Mosser

humphreyjohn
16-Mar-11, 23:23
Hello Mamie (and Hi Tricia)

The John O’Groat Photographic Studio at 4 River Street Wick was opened in 1887-8 by Weydale native Peter Swanson, whose main premises were in Thurso. Swanson had spent a couple of years as a photographer in Irvine, Ayrshire, which is where he probably met John Humphrey’s father – also named John Humphrey, also a photographer - and then talked his son into moving to Caithness after his father died (March 1889). Young John, 20, became Swanson's Wick assistant in 1889, and, when Swanson himself suddenly died (March 1890) he took over the Wick business. He operated the studio single-handed for over 50 years.

He never lived on River Street. After several years on Union Street, he bought a house on Kenneth Street, married in 1906, started his family and died there in 1949.

Anyway, the short answer to your query is that the photo you mention, presumably with JG Humphrey’s plate on it, could (just) have been of someone who died in October 1890 – but only if taken during the prior six months.

Best regards from Bonnie Ontario

John Humphrey

Mosser
17-Mar-11, 17:34
Oh, just great, the definitive answer, thank you very much

Masser

Mamie_2
21-Apr-11, 22:30
So then would pictures with Swanson's imprint, saying Thurso and Wick, be before Mar 1890? I have access to one of those too lol.
I would say the young man in the picture is much too healthy looking to have had his picture taken within a few month of his death. He had cancer of the hip(sacrum) so I doubt it would be Thomas Matheson. Now I just need to think who else it could be. Lots of candidates in the ol' family tree but had to have a connection to the Mathesons of Gills, Canisbay.