PDA

View Full Version : Rumours that Thurso swimming pool is to be closed by the council!

Catharnach74
05-Mar-11, 02:49
The rumour came after a document was presented to the Highland council Culture and Leisure Policy and Scrutiny Development Panel last week stated that the council was looking at potentially closing a number of Pools, libraries and community centres in the Highland region as part of the Tough Choices consultation. Councillors says the only reason Thurso swimming was named is because it is the only pool as the possibility for community ownership. These rumours are council officer proposals apparently contained in the Tough Choices document and have no political endorsement. It would be the very last thing they would support. A lot of money has been invested in the facility at Thurso pool and other pools in the Highlands it would be madness to think about closing them but due to the current Highland council budget we have to make many sacrifices.

Lets hope its just a lie circulating around Thurso like most rumours are in Caithness!

theone
05-Mar-11, 02:55
I don't use the pool or Gym, but I know a lot of people that do.

It'd be a shame for it to go, I hope it stays whether with the council or not.

Would it be possible to run it as a business/community ownership?

What sort of profit/loss does it make?

dozy
05-Mar-11, 09:18
Maybe Ignis Energy and the Council could come up with another dodgy deal to run the pool, with the idea to run a hot water pipe from Wick ..ask Councillor G Smith if he wants to sit on the board of that one ...

annemarie482
05-Mar-11, 10:09
im not really suprised saying as wicks supposed to be losing the pool and libruary when then new high school is built as folk will have to use the school facilities.

ShelleyCowie
05-Mar-11, 10:24
I hope not! I use the pool and gym. I love going, my kids love swimming too :( They use that pool for the kids school swimming, squads, ladies swimming, canoe club, lane swimming, there is loads! Its not as if its never used! :( Also the gym has always been busy when i go. Will be gutted if it closes! Thats just 1 less thing for us to do with the kids too!

Vistravi
05-Mar-11, 13:08
I hope not! I use the pool and gym. I love going, my kids love swimming too :( They use that pool for the kids school swimming, squads, ladies swimming, canoe club, lane swimming, there is loads! Its not as if its never used! :( Also the gym has always been busy when i go. Will be gutted if it closes! Thats just 1 less thing for us to do with the kids too!

I'm exactly the same. My son goes for his swimming class on thursday and i take him on a saturday and sometimes a monday. I go to the gym on a tuesday/ wednesday and whenever my partner isn't working.
We'd be gutted if it closed :(