PDA

View Full Version : royal wedding

katarina
24-Feb-11, 14:51
I've nothing against the royal family, but why oh why, whith all those cuts, especially in the health service can they not pay for their own weddings?

rob1
24-Feb-11, 15:06
They are!

As far as I am aware the ceremony and receptrion are being paid for by the Windors and Middletons.

lindsaymcc
24-Feb-11, 17:48
It will be the extra security that the state will be paying for.

At least we have confirmation from the school today that Highland Council are NOT giving it as a day off! Someone in this country has sense!

theone
24-Feb-11, 17:54
The wedding is being paid for by the families.

But there will be a cost to the nation in terms of policing etc.

I'm quite indifferent on most subjects regarding the royal family, to be honest I just don't care, but I'd rather see money spent policing a royal wedding than the millions spent when the pope came across.

redeyedtreefrog
25-Feb-11, 18:03
I just hope there's something vaguely entertaining on telly at the same time. It'd be brilliant if Channel 4 ran it, but with Charlie Brooker providing sarcastic commentary.

Or take Brooker's idea form Ten O'Clock Live last night, and "when the glorified vicar asks 'is there any reason why these two should not be wed', open it up to the whole country X-Factor style".

Sage
25-Feb-11, 18:05
personally Im sad that the Council arent giving kids the day off.
Anyone remember the last royal wedding?? We had street parties that lasted into the night and there was a real sense of Pride in our Country.

Shame it doesnt seem like its going to happen this time. Personally I think its a very sad reflection of the times we live in.

porthos
25-Feb-11, 18:25
Shame it doesnt seem like its going to happen this time. Personally I think its a very sad reflection of the times we live in.
Absolutely. There was a time when happy occasions such as Royal Weddings could bring the country (and the world) together, but now it seems many people have lost interest :(

Phill
25-Feb-11, 18:41
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzz.......hmm...what? Yes dear that'll be nice dear.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzz

lindsaymcc
25-Feb-11, 20:04
Dont you think the children have lost enough school days this year because of the weather? To add another day off seems excessive to me. In this day and age, plenty of people have the facility to record the event for their children to watch later - or the schools may broadcast it in school.

Sage
25-Feb-11, 23:42
nope.

It joining in with the occasion, being part of that historic moment and sense of community that's important. These events are rare and are history in the making.
The sense of bringing a country together in celebration for a day is far more important IMHO

I think we need more of these type of celebrations, not the chance to record and watch later.

Vistravi
25-Feb-11, 23:50
To be honest who cares. Its great they've found each other and they want to make that commintment. But just because the groom is of royal blood we are supposed to stop our lives to see them of?

In this day and age marriage isn't a big deal anymore.

I wish the bride and groom good luck and i hope they have a happy life together but for it stopping my day? Nah.

Tis only my opinion though so don't shoot me too fast ;)

Duncansby
26-Feb-11, 00:00
there was a real sense of Pride in our Country.

I don't need to watch two folk get merried to feel pride in my country. Heck, folk manage to get hitched every day and I'd much rather attend a wedding of folk I knew than watch all that pomp and ceremony surrounding two strangers on the box. Those that enjoy that kind of thing, hash on enjoy it, get a nice warm glow about the lovely prince and princess but please don't force me to pretend to be interested. The lack of interest and cynicism is undoubably a sign of the times but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. I, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this, have a lot more important and interesting things I could be doing than watching (to my mind) numbing television for hours and hours and hours....

redeyedtreefrog
26-Feb-11, 01:34
I don't understand the fuss, it's just an unelected sponger making an attempt at distracting the populace from spending cuts by partaking in an anachronism.

oldmarine
26-Feb-11, 03:59
The Royal Family doesn't seem to attract the attention that they did in the past. We are living in new times.

Dadie
27-Feb-11, 01:53
Maybe im a romantic type..
But I would love the fuss over a street party etc.. making it something to remember for the young ones.....as well as the oohing and ahhing over the dress.
It would be lovely to have something to look forward too amongst the doom and gloom predicted by the financial know it alls!

rogermellie
27-Feb-11, 02:06
Anyone remember the last royal wedding?? We had street parties that lasted into the night and there was a real sense of Pride in our Country.

which last one are you meaning ? Edward's or Charles' 2nd wedding

i don't remember street parties for either of them, did we even get a day off school for Charles and Diana ?

Dadie
27-Feb-11, 02:13
I dont know about school, but i got a much needed break from work to watch the precedings as it was on a weekend!

For the Charles and Diana wedding!

As far as I remember!....
And a happy event for all
Wish we would make a day of celebrating the event of the next royal wedding (as the polls go William is the more popular choice as king)

Sage
27-Feb-11, 12:21
I meant Charles & Di...the last wedding that had lots of pomp and ceremony.

Im with you Dadie....celebrations are a rare thing these days when people are too caught up in being miserable. It would be nice to give the kids something to remember.

Anfield
28-Feb-11, 13:10
The wedding is being paid for by the families.

They are! As far as I am aware the ceremony and receptrion are being paid for by the Windors and Middletons.

You have fallen in the trap believing that we are not paying for this wedding.
As Lenin said "A lie told often enough becomes truth"
(Q) Where do the Windsor mob get their money from?
(A) From us i.e. the British Taxpayers.

How many SAR helicoptor pilots and unemployed Fashion buyers/photographers can afford to have a big wedding ceremony followed by a wedding bash for 2000+ people

".. but I'd rather see money spent policing a royal wedding than the millions spent when the pope came across.."
The Pope was invited over by the the Government for a state visit, and like all foreign state visits, costs were met by the Government

Absolutely. There was a time when happy occasions such as Royal Weddings could bring the country (and the world) together, but now it seems many people have lost interest :(
Maybe people have lost interest because of the repetitiveness of it all i.e. Royal Wedding, couple of sprogs to keep bloodline going, and then a divorce

I don't understand the fuss, it's just an unelected sponger making an attempt at distracting the populace from spending cuts by partaking in an anachronism.
Could not have put it better myself

rob1
28-Feb-11, 13:24
You have fallen in the trap believing that we are not paying for this wedding.
As Lenin said "A lie told often enough becomes truth"
(Q) Where do the Windsor mob get their money from?
(A) From us i.e. the British Taxpayers.

Under that logic you would have a problem with my wedding then! My parents too get thier money from the tax payer to - they both work in the NHS.

andrew.bowles30
28-Feb-11, 21:26
your correct its costing the tax payer too much london will earn millions in tourisiam becouse the other countrys love our royals and the country needs somthing to enjoy this year as its going to be the hardest year yet i think, petrol up - bills up - wages down and yes intrests will go up soon
so we need cheering up a little

John Little
28-Feb-11, 21:32
"As of the time of the bid, projections for the cost of the 2012 Olympics were low. The bid team believed that London could end the Games with a surplus of more than £100 million. The organising committee laid out the following figures:
£560 million for new venues, including £250 million for the Olympic Stadium.
£650 million for the Olympic village.
£1.5 billion to run the Games.
£200 million on security.

A royal wedding?

Peanuts..........

"So conservative estimates put the starting cost at around £50 million. Top-end estimates have come in closer to £100 million."

So that's the outlay.

"Estimates are that an income of £900million will be generated next summer as a combined result of Royals and a royal wedding. '

Hm - with that kind of profit margin, maybe we should have a few more royal weddings.

gingernut
28-Feb-11, 21:51
Under that logic you would have a problem with my wedding then! My parents too get thier money from the tax payer to - they both work in the NHS.

The difference being of course that your parents do an honest days work for their money from the tax payer!!

John Little
28-Feb-11, 21:52
The difference being of course that your parents do an honest days work for their money from the tax payer!!

That's quite an assumption. I think Rob1 needs to have an opinion on this...

Of course you may know his parents...

Sage
28-Feb-11, 21:53
The Royals work extremely hard for this country. They just dont advertise it all. AND they dont get to retire.

Alba.gu.brath
28-Feb-11, 23:22
Why do we need the royals ??

golach
28-Feb-11, 23:24
Why do we need the royals ??

Why not, better a royal than president salmond [disgust][lol]

theone
01-Mar-11, 00:29

I always smirk when I see a nationalist waving the Lion Rampant.

Anfield
01-Mar-11, 13:12
Don't you mean President Trump?
The next national emblem will be a yellow flag with a blood red dollar on it

mi16
01-Mar-11, 13:38
surely if it is all for tradition etc etc the Middeltons will foot the bill.