PDA

View Full Version : Royal Wedding

bagpuss
17-Feb-11, 22:52
No- we didn't get invited- but there are plans for a street party near us, and some of the neighbours are planning camping out in the Mall. There was lots of fuss over the 1981 event, and just a bit less for the cosier little ceremony when two true loves were joined at Windsor (I refer of course to Elton and David's civil ceremony- in the same location as Charles and Camilla (wasn't it nice to see two pensioners getting a day to dress up?)

How will you celebrate your day off? Watching it on TV? Ignoring it and spending the day doing other things? Working as normal?

Should children be sat down in front of a TV or computer screen to watch what will possibly be a major day in their memories?

wickscorrie
17-Feb-11, 22:58
its a working day for us, (no public holiday) so sky plus will come in handy

neepnipper
17-Feb-11, 22:58
I've booked the day off work and will watch it with a nice cup of tea! Fabulous, something positive in this gloomy old world!

golach
17-Feb-11, 23:00
I will not be making any effort to have anything to do with the wedding, was playing golf with my mates at his mother and fathers wedding [lol]

I am also a Senior Citizen, we do not get Bank Holidays

Kodiak
17-Feb-11, 23:25
Here is the list for Bank Holidays for April and May, Scotland is included. The Royal Wedding is an official Bank Holiday but not everyone get Bank Holiday's. If you do get Bank Holday's the the week of the Royal Wedding will be a Short Week. Monday 25th is Easter Monday and Friday 29th is the Royal Wedding. So for many people this will mean a 3 day working week. Not bad for some.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2d7j2xf.jpg

baggie boy
17-Feb-11, 23:40
According to Highland Council website,

Royal Wedding: Given the financial plight facing them, Highland Councillors have decided that it is not appropriate for them to sanction an additional day off for staff to celebrate the Royal wedding on Friday 29 April between Prince William and Kate Middleton

annemarie482
17-Feb-11, 23:58
just another day to me............
(and an excuse for folk to skive work)

Duncansby
18-Feb-11, 00:03
I shall be avoiding every form of media for the duration of the hysteria surrounding this wedding - I realise this might mean hidding away in a cave until the autumn but I am prepared to suffer this hardship to avoid endless, inane analysis of the dress, the flowers, the guests and the inevitable comparisons that are going to be drawn between this wedding and the wedding in 1981.

annemarie482
18-Feb-11, 00:04
I shall be avoiding every form of media for the duration of the hysteria surrounding this wedding - I realise this might mean hidding away in a cave until the autumn but I am prepared to suffer this hardship to avoid endless, inane analysis of the dress, the flowers, the guests and the inevitable comparisons that are going to be drawn between this wedding and the wedding in 1981.

agree 100% !!

orkneycadian
18-Feb-11, 01:19
Estimates of cost to the UK economy range from £3.2 billion to £7.9 billion (source = Google (http://www.google.co.uk))

Nice to see we're taking the financial predicament we are in seriously!

Moira
18-Feb-11, 01:32
Estimates of cost to the UK economy range from £3.2 billion to £7.9 billion (source = Google (http://www.google.co.uk))

Nice to see we're taking the financial predicament we are in seriously!

What's happening in Orkney then?

It would appear that Highland Council has dealt with the matter very seriously indeed.
http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/news/newsreleases/2011/February/2011-02-16-06.htm

Shabbychic
18-Feb-11, 01:44

What cave are you heading for? I might just join you.

Gronnuck
18-Feb-11, 02:04

What cave are you heading for? I might just join you.

I'll bring the beer and the sarnies

Shabbychic
18-Feb-11, 02:29

I'll bring the sleeping bags. I think we might be there for a few days.

Aaldtimer
18-Feb-11, 04:53
I'll bring the sleeping bags. I think we might be there for a few days.

Eh'll bring the red tinnies AND the Johnston's Pehs if ye let me jine ye!:lol:

theone
18-Feb-11, 07:35
I'll be working the wedding day offshore.

With any luck we'll get a special meal out of it, but apart from that it will be work as normal.

For all the people getting an extra days leave out of it - good on them. Enjoy it as you chose.

Should children be sat down in front of a TV or computer screen to watch what will possibly be a major day in their memories?

I would say so.

Regardless of your views on the monarchy this is a day of national significance and should be absorbed by their young minds!

ducati
18-Feb-11, 09:16

I'll bring the portable telly :lol:

Doreen
18-Feb-11, 09:26
I would rather work than have a day off .

The Music Monster
18-Feb-11, 11:36
I'm really excited about it - of course, the benefit of my job is that I will be able to see it! I love the fact that it will bring so many people together, not just from this country but all the other countries that love our monarchy. It is a day that we should all be happy about - irrespective of your view on the royal family - it is two people celebrating love where they found it. For that reason, drop the comparison to Charles and Diana, and let William and Kate have their day!

And incidentally... I am a big Camilla fan and think that Prince Charles is much better off with her because he actually loves her. I'm just a romantic at heart!!!!

billmoseley
18-Feb-11, 17:00
lets hope the sun is shining and it's a warm spring day so as i can pack up some sandwiches head off away from pull on the walking boots grab the dogs and the wife and head off away from any media coverage i might even see if i can spot any drunken cavers

Vistravi
18-Feb-11, 18:37

Do what i do. Don't read newspapers, watch tv or partake in celebrity things.

Good luck i say to the couple who are getting married but i certainly won't make time to do anything about it on the day or after.

Blazing Sporrans
18-Feb-11, 20:01
I'll bring the portable telly :lol:

Only if you bring a DVD player too. What's the post code of the cave so I can have my mail forwarded?

DrChin
18-Feb-11, 20:11
I, for one, will be sitting down in front of the TV and I will watch The Wedding right to the end.

I cant wait for this event as I am sure it will be the event of the Decade. :D

shamrock2007
18-Feb-11, 21:58
I'm planning to mark the occassion with something special in the shop, will keep you posted

piratelassie
19-Feb-11, 01:58
Roll on the Republic.

brandy
19-Feb-11, 01:59
i plan on watching it.. will be a big part of UK history.. even if a lot of people do not want to believe it. *Grins*
i dont remember Diana's wedding very well.. but i have seen the videos.. so look forwards to this one..

Corrie 3
19-Feb-11, 09:21
Roll on the Republic.
I'll wait.... and celebrate the divorce in about 5 years time !!

C3....:roll:;):lol:

Blarney
20-Feb-11, 01:40
Roll on the Republic.
I think you would find that would be the worst case scenario. At least we know what we have with the royal family. I'm also sure that we've done this subject to death on a previous thread.