PDA

View Full Version : What's Going On?

gleeber
17-Feb-11, 12:34
Someone asked on another thread "whats wrong with everyone I only asked a simple question" I better be careful here because it was posted by someone who calls himself Grumpy Old Git. Might get my head chowed off.
Anyway, using the evidence of the org what is wrong with everyone? How come the most innocuous of threads can bring about the most tremendous stramash amongst people who heve never met although some of them could be our next door neighbours?
I used to think the moon had a pull on us the fuller it got but I'm not so sure now. I watched a programme last week and it appears the moon may have no effect on our behaviour. Behaviour seems to be something peculiar to the indivivual although it is activated by outside influences and particularly the behaviour of others.
Whats going on?

Carole
17-Feb-11, 12:44
I've been surprised at the tone of many of the posts. It seems that some folks are very quick to criticise - and rarely is it in a manner that would be considered positive (ie helpful) or polite.

Is it possible that the relative anonimity of the org allows us to show a side of ourselves which we would normally keep hidden? Or are the nasty posters inclined to talk to people they meet in the street the same way?

theone
17-Feb-11, 12:57
It's easy to be insulting when hiding behind a user name and a monitor. I think that's the simple reason people behave differently here than they would elsewhere.

I enjoy a healthy debate, that's my main reason for posting. Whilst I wouldn't deliberately insult another poster I'm sure that over the years people may have taken exception to being challanged or have been offended by differing viewpoints.

I don't think there's much point in throwing insults around on here personally, but in answer to your question "what's going on?" I would have to say it's just human nature on display.

gleeber
17-Feb-11, 13:07
Human nature for sure and I don't doubt anonymity has a lot to do with it, but that anonymity seems to come around as a result of an unawareness of the medium we are playing with. Most people who post on here will sometimes wish they never responded in the manner they did. Sometimes just a little bit of innuendo is enough to open the floodgates because it's sure to grind with something someone else is harbouring in the depths of their socks.
I like the way politicians debate although there are many here will call their debating chambers childish I think it's fantastic. They tend to show a certain respect towards the person who disagrees with them That's the secret i think.
Sometimes though someone will post a personal gripe on here. Those are the dangerous ones.

upolian
17-Feb-11, 13:11
Read,click the back button and get on with life. My opinion behind a monitor and my opinion in person.

The Music Monster
17-Feb-11, 13:19
I like to have a decent discussion concerning local issues, and that is what I believe parts of this board are for. There will always be things that people don't agree with, but variety in beliefs and views are what makes this world such an interesting place. As someone posted on another thread, it is so easy to take words the wrong way, irrespective of how many smilies you but after a message! I always double and triple check my message to try and make sure that what I post is 100% relevant to what is being discussed, so that sometimes I am checking it for so long that it isn't relevant any more and I scrap the whole lot (example, I started writing this at 12:10)!

As for being personal, it is not hard not to be personal, since I don't know anything about people on here (with a handful of exceptions) but what they post. I would encourage everyone to consider (as I know most people on here do!) that everyone is entitled to their own view, but if that view hurts, condemns or slanders other people's, then sometimes it is best left unposted!

Corrie 3
17-Feb-11, 13:24
I think its Human Nature but I think its better for those that need it to have a good rant on here rather than in the street which would then involve the Police, ambulance, hospital and probably the courts time!!!
Just my opinion of course and no malice intended !!!!...;)

C3....:roll::)

theone
17-Feb-11, 14:11
I like the way politicians debate although there are many here will call their debating chambers childish I think it's fantastic. They tend to show a certain respect towards the person who disagrees with them That's the secret i think.
Sometimes though someone will post a personal gripe on here. Those are the dangerous ones.

The thing with (many - not all) politicians though is that they have been educated, or otherwise learned, to have good debating and reasoning skills. You're probably right, respect may be the secret, but I think those who have poor reasoning or debating skills are more likely to resort to insults and innuendo.

Passion for a subject is a sure way to exclude reason against it.

Blazing Sporrans
17-Feb-11, 14:30
I think that it's easy to be critical in a forum like this in a manner that we would never contemplate in day to day polite conversation. There are two reasons for this IMHO; firstly the relative anonymity of the org and secondly, there's an absence of tone of voice in the written word. Emphasis, tone and inflection convey a lot in speech that the written word cannot on it's own. It's different in literature, when the author can convey their own meaning, 'Arthur said helpfully'. As we sit and type our (sometimes passionate) opinions, each of us individually know what we mean and what we would wish to convey, however there are never any guarantees of how any third party reading said opinion might interpret it.

onecalledk
17-Feb-11, 14:44
Someone asked on another thread "whats wrong with everyone I only asked a simple question" I better be careful here because it was posted by someone who calls himself Grumpy Old Git. Might get my head chowed off.
Anyway, using the evidence of the org what is wrong with everyone? How come the most innocuous of threads can bring about the most tremendous stramash amongst people who heve never met although some of them could be our next door neighbours?
I used to think the moon had a pull on us the fuller it got but I'm not so sure now. I watched a programme last week and it appears the moon may have no effect on our behaviour. Behaviour seems to be something peculiar to the indivivual although it is activated by outside influences and particularly the behaviour of others.
Whats going on?

The moon DOES have an effect on behaviour, it cant not affect as us we are made up of a lot of water and as the moon affects the tides across the planet then why would it not affect us? What programme did you watch that told you otherwise?

There is evidence from many sources about the full moon, crime rates INCREASE towards a full moon, people get more irritable towards a full moon (might explain the posts on here sometimes) and the incidence of mental health problems also increase towards a moon ie people are more at risk of an episode at this time.

It may well be the state of the country in general, the price of food, gas, oil, fuel etc and the fact that we are in february. This winter has been long and hard and we have not had much sunlight or better weather to get outdoors and recharge. February feels like the hangover from the depression of january for a lot of people, ie not quite spring (its trying though!) sort of thing .....

K

Metalattakk
17-Feb-11, 14:58
The moon DOES have an effect on behaviour, it cant not affect as us we are made up of a lot of water and as the moon affects the tides across the planet then why would it not affect us? What programme did you watch that told you otherwise?

Common sense dictates that a full moon has no effect. The moon is all there all the time, regardless of how much we can see of it/how much is illuminated by the sun.

gleeber
17-Feb-11, 15:20
I would agree with you MA but you see there's an example of the type of thing that can easily happen. I say I'm not sure whether the moon effects human behaviour. K on the other hand says that the moon DOES (her emphasis) effect human behaviour.
From where I'm sitting I could take exception at that just like others will take exception at being called stupid for being tricked into shopping at Tescos.
I'm comfortable not knowing whether the moon effects me or not. I have as many difficulties when there's no moon as when theres 2 full ones and Ive seen that too, often.
So what's going on here? I'm standing on someones beliefs. Always a good reason for a stramash. But a waste of time.

The programme was called The effect The Moon Has On The Earth and was evidence based. Channel 4 I think. Believing in the phases of the moon effecting human behaviour could be just another one of those superstitious beliefs handed down from our ancestors. But that's another thread.

theone
17-Feb-11, 15:22
Common sense dictates that a full moon has no effect. The moon is all there all the time, regardless of how much we can see of it/how much is illuminated by the sun.

I think physics would agree also,

The gravitational force of the moon has an effect on the tides due to the huge scale of the oceans. It the world was a significantly different size the effects would not be the same.

Take Thurso boating pond for example. It is subjected to the gravitational pull of the moon also, but because of its size and the fact that it doesn't cover a significant proportion of the curvature of the earth, there are no tides noticed there.

As you say, the moon is always there, excerting the same pull, regardless of how well hidden it is covered by shadows.

I know a nightclub bouncer who insists that there is more trouble one night of the month than most others. He doesn't put it down to the full moon, he puts it down to pay day.

Metalattakk
17-Feb-11, 15:23
Confirmation bias (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias) is a stronger force than gravity, to some. ;)

theone
17-Feb-11, 15:28
From where I'm sitting I could take exception at that just like others will take exception at being called stupid for being tricked into shopping at Tescos.

A major problem with modern society is that we're all too worried about offending anyone.

Some things are taboo, while in other situations it is acceptable to argue.

Take religion for example, if there was a debate on here about which one is right, which one is the true religion, somebody would become offended and the general consensus would be that the debate is "out of order" or "crosses lines that shouldn't be crossed".

I doubt a debate about which political party is right would result in the same response. What's the difference. To me religious beliefs and political ones deserve the same respect and should both be open to question.

I think the problem lies with the offended, an their use of that offence as a tool in their favour.

rob murray
17-Feb-11, 17:49
It's easy to be insulting when hiding behind a user name and a monitor. I think that's the simple reason people behave differently here than they would elsewhere.

I enjoy a healthy debate, that's my main reason for posting. Whilst I wouldn't deliberately insult another poster I'm sure that over the years people may have taken exception to being challanged or have been offended by differing viewpoints.

I don't think there's much point in throwing insults around on here personally, but in answer to your question "what's going on?" I would have to say it's just human nature on display.

use your own name when posting ratther than a user name

theone
17-Feb-11, 17:53
use your own name when posting ratther than a user name

That would be one option.

But at the same time it might be counter productive. It might discourage posters to the detriment of the forum.

annemarie482
17-Feb-11, 18:11
saying as i'm one of the one's from the thread the op mentioned,
just a quick note to add i'm not a rude nor violent person, and can take a joke along with the rest of us.
just momentarily lowered myself to the petty level of cheek directed at me. ach so what!
i did not expect anyone to actually boil their head........ :lol:

ducati
17-Feb-11, 18:39
The moon DOES have an effect on behaviour, it cant not affect as us we are made up of a lot of water and as the moon affects the tides across the planet then why would it not affect us? What programme did you watch that told you otherwise? K

Tides are a side effect of the moons gravity influencing the Earth. It would not have the same effect on the water in your body.