PDA

View Full Version : Mumpreneurs

bagpuss
15-Feb-11, 00:05
on the news this evening was a story about Mums running small businesses to supplement their income, like making cupcakes. Any mumpreneurs out there making fudge or cakes that want to flag up what they do?

Kevin Milkins
15-Feb-11, 00:16
I saw that and thought it comendable, however, the Britain we live in today is not geared for anyone to be an entreprenure and you can be sure someone will come out of the wood work with a reason as to why they are not supposed to do that.

gleeber
15-Feb-11, 00:23
I saw that and thought it comendable, however, the Britain we live in today is not geared for anyone to be an entreprenure and you can be sure someone will come out of the wood work with a reason as to why they are not supposed to do that.
Youve just done that Kevin lol.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
15-Feb-11, 08:25
that's what I was dong - now my business has evolved to a bonafide shop in Wick - so there's hope for EVERYONE!!

David from Stockport
15-Feb-11, 09:27
Im a bloke doing the same- work full-time + do internet business from home (site built by my son) at work about 20% have part-time jobs on the side . One of the girls in catering does the same as you ,another has a cleaning round .
My aim is to build my business so I can do the same as "Keep on Trucking" some of the girls at work want to build there sidelines as well ,its a good way to start cos you dont need to pay yourself a wage whilst you get going and you can put the profits back in the business (but keep proper accounts) others do there sidelines to pay for hols etc .
Good luck and forget the money its fun doing it and if u make money thats a plus ,and see where it takes you .

Corrie 3
15-Feb-11, 10:18
Which Brigade do you mean Kevin.....The Elf & Safety morons or the Do-Gooder Society?

C3....:roll:;)

northener
15-Feb-11, 11:23
More people ought to give it a go.

I've had a couple of sidelines (not saying that they were successful, mind) over the years and am looking round for something to amuse myself with at the mo'. Good luck to anyone who decides to go their own way.

cuddlepop
15-Feb-11, 11:48
I saw that programe too and was wondering at what level of turnover are you liable for business rates on your property.?
I know if your in a council house you have to ask permission before you use your home as a business premises.

Its just appeared to be so "easy" making money from home.

David from Stockport
15-Feb-11, 12:02
Dont think there is such thing as easy money (legit) if ur going to start a run from home business u could start off by looking on Amazon for books on running a business theres lots of titles covering most types of business so will be worth buying to do your research . My business is a run from home "hobby" at the moment as ive got a full-time job but ive still registered it as a business on the national Business register and informed HMRC - if you want to start something start with buying the books and research .

northener
15-Feb-11, 12:15
I saw that programe too and was wondering at what level of turnover are you liable for business rates on your property.?
I know if your in a council house you have to ask permission before you use your home as a business premises.

If you are merely using your house as an administrative centre (ie: desk, phone, computer) then the council aren't that bothered. Anything involving manufacture or production - then you'd be better off talking to them first. TBH I know plenty of people who have made things in their sheds, cooked at home on a small scale, ebayed on quite an extensive scale etc and who have had no problem with the council at all.

I'd say (my own opinion - not official) is that if you are not causing annoyance or nuisance to your neighbours (smells, noise, vehicles rolling in and out all day, eyesore), not interfering with the fabric of the council property and not having people traipsing in and out of your house all day, you should be OK. Speak to them first.

HTH

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
15-Feb-11, 18:05

Paying Business rates on your home as far as I am aware is not in relation to your turnover - if you have a designated area in your home that you are operating a reatil outlet from you should be apportioning that part of the home to business rates by way of change of use through council.

Beat Bug
15-Feb-11, 18:36
Paying Business rates on your home as far as I am aware is not in relation to your turnover - if you have a designated area in your home that you are operating a reatil outlet from you should be apportioning that part of the home to business rates by way of change of use through council.

Most people who run small business from home won't have a totally separate room set aside for that purpose. Any cooking business will usually use their own kitchen, knitters will use their living room etc. etc. So business rates will not apply. A neighbour years ago converted a bedroom into a hair salon (could only have a max of 2 people at a time) but as she kept her vaccuum cleaner in the room, it didn't qualify for business rates.