PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Connection

mrsmo
09-Feb-11, 17:37
I have got a second laptop that I am trying to set up the network connection.
All I am getting is connected to the local connection??
Its ok when connected directly to the router.

Can someone give me a bit of advice before I tear my hair out.

gmcborgie
09-Feb-11, 18:48
Have you put in the password? I had a similar problem & had forgotten to put the password in! lol

EDDIE
09-Feb-11, 20:27
Well make sure your connecting up using the router password and not the internet password for your broadband?
And i had a lot hasstle setting my router up and what was if the router is set to wap security it had to be the same setting on the laptop security settings

octane
15-Feb-11, 00:06
So you can get online when your connected to the router via ethernet cable and its fine,

Are you sure the laptop has wireless built in? What make and model is it?

If it does have wireless has it been switched on? It is has then it will pick up all available routers in its range. Choose whatever your one is, enter the security encryption key for your router and that should be it.

torisdale
15-Feb-11, 15:29
I have got a second laptop that I am trying to set up the network connection.
All I am getting is connected to the local connection??
Its ok when connected directly to the router.

Can someone give me a bit of advice before I tear my hair out.

Can you try doing this...

Go to "Network" from start menu.
Go to "Network and Sharing center"
Click "View status"
Click "Wireless properties"
Click "Security", re-enter your routers password and click ok.
Now go into "properties" (Confirm UAC)
Click internet protocol Version 4 or Version 6 and go to properties
Click on "Obtain automatically" and press okay.
Check to see if problem still occurs.

So you can get online when your connected to the router via ethernet cable and its fine,

Are you sure the laptop has wireless built in? What make and model is it?

If it does have wireless has it been switched on? It is has then it will pick up all available routers in its range. Choose whatever your one is, enter the security encryption key for your router and that should be it.

As the person has said they only get a local connection so it means they have wireless as it is picking up the router which also means the device must be switched on to find it.

octane
15-Feb-11, 17:46
Torisdale--

Local Area Connection Is ethernet based and is the wired setup hence its showing connected so I assume the opening post is meaning when the cable is plugged into laptop-router it states that its connected and thats the only icon thats showing.

Wireless is on a different connection and will have a different entry in the network connections. The wireless icon may not be set to show down in the Tray beside the taskbar.

MRSMO what operating system are you running, (winXP, Vista etc) and what is the laptop.

torisdale
18-Feb-11, 14:20
Torisdale--

Local Area Connection Is ethernet based and is the wired setup hence its showing connected so I assume the opening post is meaning when the cable is plugged into laptop-router it states that its connected and thats the only icon thats showing.

Wireless is on a different connection and will have a different entry in the network connections. The wireless icon may not be set to show down in the Tray beside the taskbar.

MRSMO what operating system are you running, (winXP, Vista etc) and what is the laptop.

The user stated that it was fine when directly connected to the router but only showed local when it was using wireless which is possible if the user has the wrong password set for connecting to the router or hos/her IP isn't set right.

And sorry I had previously talked with the person via personal message.

mrsmo
22-Feb-11, 17:09
Thanks, finally got it sorted out.

dx100uk
23-Feb-11, 01:09
great helps everyone

what was the fix so's other can learn?

dx

mrsmo
24-Feb-11, 17:15
well it seems it was the passwords and the security settings, I didnt do it myself but this is what I was told?