PDA

View Full Version : Tenement living in Wick 1910-1925

daphne.van
07-Feb-11, 01:56
My grandparents, mother and siblings lived in a tenement 39 Huddart Street. Does anyone have family who may have also lived there? I understand someone with surname Oag may have. My uncle wrote a 26 page letter describing living in Wick in those days. It is written in 'very broad Scotch'. How many families would live in such a building?
Daphne

domino
07-Feb-11, 15:28
Would have liked to have read that description. I remember some people who lived in that building, but, would have to guess at the total number of families

daphne.van
07-Feb-11, 21:56
My grandparents were Alexander and Lilias Clyne and they had 8 children. Left for New Zealand in 1925 on the HMS Rotorua

trinkie
08-Feb-11, 14:40
http://www.caithness.org/atoz/wick/photogallery/index.php?gallery=6&image=0
I hope this link works. You will see a block of 'flats' in Huddart Street.
There weren't Tenements as big as you'd find in cities.
In Huddart Street I remember a block on the corner which I think were no more than
three storey high. Each 'flat' would have about three rooms . The front door would lead
upstairs with a flat on either side of the landing . On the street corner was a Sweetie Shop
run by a nice lady called Emma. That's where the children spent their weekly pennies.
I remember a very good community of hard working honest folk. The bairns played happily
together, some ending up in different parts of the country several having been very
successful in their chosen field.
Good luck and best wishes,
Trinkie

Tricia
09-Feb-11, 10:33
The 1911 census will be available to search from Tue 5th April online scotlandspeople.gov.uk
- it will show other families at same address.
You can view a sample page at http://ww1.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Help/index.aspx?r=546&2066

Peterd500
12-Feb-11, 21:08
I have 12 issue to Alexander & Lillias not 8. Can't list them all here because there are births up to 1922 and some might be alive.

I haven't viewed it but this might be Alexander's probate.

http://archway.archives.govt.nz/
Archives New Zealand reference (Christchurch regional office)
title, years
CLYNE Alexander - Christchurch - Pensioner, 1961 - 1961
agency, series, accession box / item, record no.
CAHX, 2989, CH171, 599 /, CH1472/1961.

1950 City of Christchurch Electors Roll
Alexander S. CLYNE, Labourer, 2 Coleridge Street, res, own
Lillias J. C. CLYNE, Married, 2 Coleridge Street, res, own

1959 City of Christchurch Electors Roll
Lillias J. C. CLYNE, Married, 2 Coleridge Street, res
- not sure why Alexander is missing unless he passed away well before the possible 1961 probate. Or why Lillias is Lillias J. C. CLYNE when I think she might have been born Lillias Janet Thomson CLASS, not sure. His daughter Lillias was Lillias Jessie Class CLYNE 1912-1979 so it could be her instead I suppose, but she married Alfred Thomas CARLYLE whose probate is in 1987 registered Christchurch.

There are other CLYNE descendants probated in Christchurch if you search the ARCHWAY link above for CLYNE. Can't see Lillias but maybe she didn't leave a will in which case an admin needs to be located instead.

Peter.