PDA

View Full Version : Facebook....Your thoughts!

sandyr1
06-Feb-11, 20:09
Facebook...............

Just perusing the Facebook thing again......Is there any Merit in having a 'Support' something or other on there and what effect/realistic benefit can be taken, when Heidi the Cross Eyed Possum has several sites, with over 302,000 hits..

_Ju_
06-Feb-11, 21:37
Heidi's support page will only work if alot of people has peoplefeel merit in supporting Heidi. Facebook allowed people to communicate almost immediately with a huge number of others directly. More than you could know face to face. And you do not need to have them all listed as friends, as you end up communicating with friends of friends of friends, in an exponential way. The world-wide protest against FARC was an early example of how people were galavanized through facebook communication. A single Columbian created a facebook page "Un million de vozes contra la FARC" ( A million voices agianst FARC- a guerilla group funded by drugs, who loved holding people hostage- were infact holding Columbia hostage) in the new year of 2007/2008. In the begining February08 through the facebook page a world-wide rally against FARC was organized, with the participation of millions of ordinary people. That is pretty impressive. Not every cause would garner the same support, but this type of communication has huge possibilities. I lived on an Island in the atlantic run by a corrupt autonomous governement who could and would do whatever they wanted. The only TV station was the local one. We did not get the same TV as the rest of the country. When unfavourable articles were printed in the national press, the newspapers never left the airport and it was easier to keep people in ignorance. Now buying up the newspapers before they hit the stands serves no purpose and you are only kept ignorant of the news if you want to.

Walter Ego
06-Feb-11, 22:09
It can be useful and a good way of digging out old colleagues and friends.

Unfortunately it becomes quickly awash with banality the makes a dull day on the .Org look like cutting edge reportage.

Think: "My child has just had a poo LOL" posts followed by "Aww, Hun X LOL" type responses......

But it can also be incredibly funny.

upolian
06-Feb-11, 23:03
Facebook is ok :)

The Music Monster
06-Feb-11, 23:24
I approve of Facebook, but I know how annoying and potentially dangerous (if it's not used properly) it can be. I only use it to keep in touch with friends and family and don't join many groups. Some of my friends seem to join 100s and I don't see the point because they won't remember or bother checking what's on them after they've initially joined!

wicker8
07-Feb-11, 15:43
found a few old and new friends on fb its ok as music monster says it has to be used properly

brandy
07-Feb-11, 16:03
i use fb a lot but mainly to keep up with my family back home.. not on a lot of groups or anything.. and quit playing the games on there.. but on facebook most days.

Commore
07-Feb-11, 16:16
I've just joined Facebook, more to enable me to communicate with my family in different areas of the country instantly as it were,
as for Facebook itself, I find it confusing and I am still trying to find my way around it,
I don't think I will be using it for anything other than chatting with my sister or the odd old friend.

orkneycadian
07-Feb-11, 16:24
I've just joined Facebook, more to enable me to communicate with my family in different areas of the country instantly as it were,

Yeah, I find that delay when using the phone a real annoyance too! You'd think in this day and age, it would be possible to say something into a phone at one of the country and for it to appear out at the other end nearly instantly!

And as for that interminable delay between sending an e-mail, and it being received at the other end! ;)

sandyr1
07-Feb-11, 16:37
Yes Ju..... I agree.....I suppose it takes this type of thing(facebook) to rally people together...
Interesting tho'....In Egypt recently, we in North America were hearing that the US and other Govt's were telling people to go to the social networking sites to obtain info, but the Internet and other electronic systemss were closed down....so it was a bit useless.
Was looking at it recently and it seems more and more people are hiding their private info...very smart!

Commore
07-Feb-11, 17:29
Yeah, I find that delay when using the phone a real annoyance too! You'd think in this day and age, it would be possible to say something into a phone at one of the country and for it to appear out at the other end nearly instantly!

And as for that interminable delay between sending an e-mail, and it being received at the other end! ;)

I don't think there is any need for sacasm, it was an innocent enough comment.
Also, I have nephews in the Army and their mother is here in Scotland and I find that chatting with the three of them quite good whereas with a phone I'd have to call them one at a time.
FC, has it's uses.

sandyr1
07-Feb-11, 17:53
How appropriate.....

Warning with us...Do not post your Holiday details on a social network...Vacant houses are vulnerable to Breakins....
AND......a further warning that Predators posing as the Vacationer can use this info to extort money from family and friends, stating that they are in trouble in foreign lands.
Would even apply to Caithness.org....
Mr. G.....Info from 680news.com

squidge
07-Feb-11, 20:23
I like facebook. I found catching up with friends from down south that I had lost touch with has been fun. Posting pics is useful as my parents can see them and share them with their friends. I don't chat an awful lot and I don't play the games but I do enjoy the updates now and again.

golach
07-Feb-11, 23:49
Beware Canadian men on Facebook Sandyr1

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/west-central/226491-mother-warns-of-social-network-dangers-after-sex-offender-targets-daughter-15/

sandyr1
07-Feb-11, 23:59
A Great example of what can happen....

joxville
08-Feb-11, 00:45
There's a lot of crap on facebook; I should know, I contribute 25% of it. :)

oldmarine
08-Feb-11, 03:45
Facebook is okay, but it can cause problems if not handled correctly. While using my wife's computer and using Facebook it appeared that the messages were coming from her instead of me. Wow! that really caused confusion. I really caught it from my wife.

rs 2k
08-Feb-11, 19:44
I think FB is brilliant :D

Last weekend i had a friends request from a man and i knew the name (my long lost uncle) he left me a note saying he needed to talk to me urgently so he gave me his number and i rang him,(I was shaking, nervous, but all excited at the same time) it was my uncle :D my mum and dad split up when i was 11 and we moved to scotland, lost touch with all family members in england, anyway i have all my family members on my dads side as friends and i have my dads phone number and we talk on the phone quite alot, i even have a wee brother i never knew about he is 17 and lives in Fraserburgh, if it wasn't for FB they would never of found me, it was however sad circumstances, both my granny and grandad on dads side have both passed away :~(

oldmarine
09-Feb-11, 00:46
I think FB is brilliant :D

Last weekend i had a friends request from a man and i knew the name (my long lost uncle) he left me a note saying he needed to talk to me urgently so he gave me his number and i rang him,(I was shaking, nervous, but all excited at the same time) it was my uncle :D my mum and dad split up when i was 11 and we moved to scotland, lost touch with all family members in england, anyway i have all my family members on my dads side as friends and i have my dads phone number and we talk on the phone quite alot, i even have a wee brother i never knew about he is 17 and lives in Fraserburgh, if it wasn't for FB they would never of found me, it was however sad circumstances, both my granny and grandad on dads side have both passed away :~(

Facebook turned out to be a blessing for you. Happy to learn that it turned out so well for you finding lost members of your family that you may never have known to exist. Proves that Facebook can be a good thing.

orkneycadian
09-Feb-11, 11:32
A lot of folk seem to think that Facebook is the only means for many things!

I find that chatting with the three of them quite good whereas with a phone I'd have to call them one at a time.

Never a bit. Skype has had free worldwide conference calls for years, and there are umpteen other free VOIP applications that allows you to get a group of folk together for worldwide voice chat.

if it wasn't for FB they would never of found me,

Never a bit again. Theres a huge wealth of information out there on the web there for the taking. Ask the geneology enthusiasts. They have been able to find folk and track down information long before Facebook was invented. The difference between Facebook and these websites is that the latter can find details on everyone, whilst Facebook can only find details of folk that are on it.

dafi
10-Feb-11, 03:39
Something i dont understand is the feedback you recieve for posts on your pages. Below is a picture of a post on my orkney birding page. It says there are over six hundred impressions for this post. Given that all the posts seem to be recieving between 400 and 600 impressions and there have only been just over a hundred folks click the page like button i cant imagine this is a hit rate per post, so what the hell is 'impressions' all about cos its clear as mud if you ask facebook!!?

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee174/dafiduck/IMG_0415-1.jpg

David from Stockport
11-Feb-11, 01:28
I like facebook its a great idea but you do have to be careful what you put on there ,most people at work are on it (hundreds),also my niece was in Oz all last year and posted lots of photos and info my elderly parents loved coming round and seeing what she was up to . Bear in mind if you go for a job interview most employers will also look you up on facebook to see the real you ! Ive just set up my own Online card shop www.theweecardshop.co.uk and have also put it on facebook and in the next day or so will start advertising it thru facebook . When you place adverts you state how much you wish to spend each day
(pay per click) and a rate per click say 25p and then choose the demographic you are chasing sex/age/intrests etc so you aim directly at who you want , The company I work for full-time are on facebook and when someone clicks " like" they are basicaly on there mailing list for info ,its a great way of getting info to intrested people rather than flyers etc littering up the place .
Long life facebook ,but be careful and dont let it rule your life .

sandyr1
14-Feb-11, 01:56
Was just in Facebook and inadvertantly went into the 'Friend Finder' area, and received a Virus Warning that it was Corrupted!!!!
Be careful out there!

oldmarine
14-Feb-11, 21:28
Was just in Facebook and inadvertantly went into the 'Friend Finder' area, and received a Virus Warning that it was Corrupted!!!!
Be careful out there!

Virus'es come from many different sources and messages. It helps to have a virus protector on-line at all times. The problem does not exist with Facebook alone.

Commore
14-Feb-11, 21:40
A lot of folk seem to think that Facebook is the only means for many things!

Never a bit. Skype has had free worldwide conference calls for years, and there are umpteen other free VOIP applications that allows you to get a group of folk together for worldwide voice chat.

Never a bit again. Theres a huge wealth of information out there on the web there for the taking. Ask the geneology enthusiasts. They have been able to find folk and track down information long before Facebook was invented. The difference between Facebook and these websites is that the latter can find details on everyone, whilst Facebook can only find details of folk that are on it.

Skype, aye, I have heard of it but never used it, likewise, I had never used facebook before either,

sandyr1
15-Feb-11, 02:06
Yes I have an excellent Anti Virus system, thus the Warning!
And Skype is very good.. Excellent video and audio/ have also used it for some time!

The Music Monster
15-Feb-11, 14:10
Skype is great, especially now you can communicate with more than one person at once, a bit like video conferencing!! It's like having the family all together again despite the hundreds of miles we are apart!

theone
15-Feb-11, 14:20
For those who use Facebook and are applying for jobs, it's worth keeping your page "clean" or at least have the privacy settings set high.

I know for a fact that the HR girls at our company use facebook and bebo etc to have a look at the people applying for jobs.

I doubt pictures from drunken nights out are likely to be beneficial in gaining employment!

Invisible
15-Feb-11, 14:22

thats modest I would have said 50%

oldmarine
15-Feb-11, 23:56

Thanks for the warning. I try to be very careful on Facebook for that reason. lol.