PDA

View Full Version : Making a raised veg bed

gardenergirl
05-Feb-11, 21:07
I want to make a raised bed for growing veg this year, like this one...

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/raised-bed-build/

Does anyone know where I can get hold of some old scaffolding planks?

Beat Bug
05-Feb-11, 22:36
I've used sarking boards and square fence posts. Also left the corner posts high, so I can cover my veg with netting to keep the birds away. Some of mine are 2 boards high, some 3. Nice and deep, especially as our soil is very stony.

henry20
05-Feb-11, 22:46
you can buy boards that slot together to make a raised bed.

muffin
06-Feb-11, 08:52
I bought my scaffold planks from Highland Industrial Supplies in Inverness, they were very helpful and delivered free. We then cut down some old fence posts to join them at the corners.

gardenergirl
06-Feb-11, 11:27
I bought my scaffold planks from Highland Industrial Supplies in Inverness, they were very helpful and delivered free. We then cut down some old fence posts to join them at the corners.

Brilliant, thanks very much! How to get them home was another problem, so free delivery is ideal! :)

SunnyChick
26-Feb-11, 21:45
We made a raised veg box last year and it's great.

We used left over fencing panels. We assembled it, six posts (with points), screwed panels together, then just hammered it into the ground and painted it! It's the biz. Ours is 3 planks high.

Then I bent poles into semi circles, stuck them in the soil and covered it with a net, to keep out birds and cats! Could also use perforated polythene to create a mini polytunnel type of thing, which helps bring on the plants in the colder weather.

george1234
27-Feb-11, 01:20
i made one for myself out of (2x2 inch) sticks. and long boards of plywood.. working great.. very cheap to make too.. :)