PDA

View Full Version : Internet running slowly ?

Chrisf1961
04-Feb-11, 12:40
Might be me but this morning i find the net running megga slowly ? anyone else had this problem

Gizmo
04-Feb-11, 12:49
It's been running at a snails pace since last night. My ISP is The Post Office, which is part of the BT network, and i've gone from my usual 7 Meg connection to just over 100k.

Beat Bug
04-Feb-11, 12:58
Same here in Latheron, despite being close to the BT exchange box!

Gronnuck
04-Feb-11, 13:14
I'm glad I'm not alone in having a problem - I'm currently running at 52 Kbps, a considerable drop from my usual 315 Kbps. Little wonder the UK is getting left behind in this 'Information age.'

Chrisf1961
04-Feb-11, 13:16
so its not just me thanks everyone .......how do you find out your current speeds?

Corrie 3
04-Feb-11, 13:17
Mine is slow as well after last night, I think the lightning has something to do with it and several power cuts in the night and this morning...I am sure it will be back up to full speed very shortly!!

C3....;)

Gizmo
04-Feb-11, 13:21
so its not just me thanks everyone .......how do you find out your current speeds?

http://www.speedtest.net/

But things are running so slowly just now that i can't even get the Speedtest to work properly.

shazzap
04-Feb-11, 13:30
Mine seems to do this around 9.30 pm, after been on all day.
I swicth my router off and reset it. this seems to work.

Garnet
04-Feb-11, 13:34
Thought it was just me, mines been pretty slow these last few days to the point I was outbit on last two items on ebay and winning bids were 'lower' grrrrr.

Chrisf1961
04-Feb-11, 13:52
Same here speedtest not working ....now thats annoying Garnet ....were they items you really wanted as well?

charlie
04-Feb-11, 14:16
I tend to use this rather than Speedtest as it loads quicker.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics

Shabbychic
04-Feb-11, 14:32
I'm running a a snail's pace too. Must be more of these government cutbacks!!:Razz

Gizmo
04-Feb-11, 14:34
Those of you have speed problems, can i ask which ISP you are using and where you are located? I'm on the phone to my ISP and they have run a Speedtest between the exchange and my router, and it's coming back with a downstream of 7.6 Meg, so they can't see any problem, but when i run a speedtest i'm still only getting around 100k.

changilass
04-Feb-11, 14:36
With bt in Castletown and its only running at 28kbps (from the bbc link)

Gizmo
04-Feb-11, 14:44
With bt in Castletown and its only running at 28kbps (from the bbc link)

I got a speed of 23k using that bbc iplayer speedtest. I think everyone needs to call their ISP to report a problem, because BT are not aware of any problems. One of my friends works for BT and i text him to ask if there were any problems with the network, he checked for me, and there are no known outages.

Gizmo
04-Feb-11, 15:07
If you are going to report a problem to your ISP, make sure you tell them that there are many others in the wider local area having the same speed issues. As i said, my ISP can find no speed issues between the exchange (in Wick) and my router, but when i told them that others had posted on a community message board about having the same speed issues, they agreed to log a fault and have an engineer check things out at the exchange.

Sarah
04-Feb-11, 15:18
Mine is going snails pace too and has been since last night. I think it was possibly something to do with all the wind/weather!

changilass
04-Feb-11, 15:47
Tried my best to report the problem.

After 20 mins talking to someone in an Indian call centre I had to leave as was going to be late for an appointment, so not even sure if he logged it or not.

pmcd
04-Feb-11, 15:50
Alas - beg to report v.slow on BT Megasupercalifragilistic, etc. Pain in bum, as I was watching the Egypt saga live on BBC. Latheronwheel I think is on Latheron exchange. Am girding loins to speak to Mr Banerjee & Co with a view to remaining polite...........

Gizmo
04-Feb-11, 15:56
Alas - beg to report v.slow on BT Megasupercalifragilistic, etc. Pain in bum, as I was watching the Egypt saga live on BBC. Latheronwheel I think is on Latheron exchange. Am girding loins to speak to Mr Banerjee & Co with a view to remaining polite...........

Eh??........

Dialyser
04-Feb-11, 15:59
Yep having the same problems today (Wick) not getting much more than dialup speeds! I have emailed TalkTalk to report it.

Venture
04-Feb-11, 18:17
I was beginning to think there was something wrong with my computer. Couldn't get anything on bbci last night and today it has become even slower. Everything is taking forever to load. [disgust]

Gronnuck
04-Feb-11, 19:02
I'm glad I'm not alone in having a problem - I'm currently running at 52 Kbps, a considerable drop from my usual 315 Kbps. Little wonder the UK is getting left behind in this 'Information age.'

Now down to 42 Kbps.
I'm glad BT or BT Openworld don't claim to be at the cutting edge of communication technology,:confused :D

scorrie
04-Feb-11, 19:08
I am in Wick and my internet is normal. In fact it is better than normal, 2.5MB compared to usual 1.2MB

I am with Talk Talk but not for much longer, due to regular relatively low speed and recent price hike to £19.99 pm

Venture
04-Feb-11, 19:17
I've only now managed to get through to BT and they are aware of a problem since early this afternoon. They say they hope to have the problem solved within 24 to 48 hours. Wonderful.[disgust]

Gizmo
04-Feb-11, 19:29
I've only now managed to get through to BT and they are aware of a problem since early this afternoon. They say they hope to have the problem solved within 24 to 48 hours. Wonderful.[disgust]

Oh well, at least they are aware of a problem now.

Liz
04-Feb-11, 19:40
Mine is dead,slow or stop (BT) so here's hoping it will be sorted soon.

The Angel Of Death
04-Feb-11, 19:55
Same here wick area with BT and mines has been guff for a few days and i have replaced all my equipment bar the router

Funny thing is that after peak times and the restrictions come off the account it flies along

Normal web pages seem to bottle neck and updating programs i needn't bother a 5 mb update crashed out

The problem is i don't want to be stuck on the phone to some plank in India reading from a bit of paper blaming all my kit and computer

Gizmo
04-Feb-11, 21:31
The problem is i don't want to be stuck on the phone to some plank in India reading from a bit of paper blaming all my kit and computer

That's one of the reasons that i would never use BT directly for Broadband. The Post Office use the BT network to deliver their Broadband, but at least their customer service centre is UK based. I've generally not had that great of an experience with the level of customer service they provided, but at least they are not reading from a prompt card. Saying that though, the guy that i dealt with this afternoon couldn't have been more helpful, but it will be no surprise to find out that he wasn't British, he was American.

welsh-witch
04-Feb-11, 23:09
i thought it was my computer, its been slow for the last 24 hours or so, driving my crazy it is

Kevin Milkins
05-Feb-11, 02:20
I think the new slow speeds are great, My pooter now works at the same speed as my brain.

The Angel Of Death
05-Feb-11, 02:47
Is everyone else's speed slow for downloads or web pages or both ?

Corrie 3
05-Feb-11, 10:06
Mine is back up to 7 meg this morning, told you it woudnt be down for long. I have had this before after a storm but BT always do their best to get it back up ASAP!

C3...:);)

Venture
05-Feb-11, 10:54
You're lucky Corrie 3 mine is still the same for downloads and web pages.[disgust]

Gizmo
05-Feb-11, 11:59
You're lucky Corrie 3 mine is still the same for downloads and web pages.[disgust]

Mine is still the same as well, I currently have a speed of 39kbps

The Angel Of Death
05-Feb-11, 12:25
Snap sort of my webpages are still more or less the same but download files are shocking i have had a 5 mb file time out on me several times so i just gave up

Venture
05-Feb-11, 12:31
I have just had a callback from BT. Apparently the problem is with a "switch" within the exchange which has to be replaced and could take up to 24 hours. He warned that there could be no internet connection at all for a couple of hours tonight, after which they expect that the fault will be rectified.:)

changilass
05-Feb-11, 12:38
I was told exactly the same at 5pm yesterday, hope its my 24hrs and not yours lol.

tommy1979
05-Feb-11, 13:09
still painfully slow here :roll:

come on BT pull yer finger oot!!!! :confused

nes
05-Feb-11, 14:31
My BT broadband has been dead slow for two days and around 16 to 63k download speed so called them today, they said they arent aware of any problems in my area ( just outside castletown ) and the speed going down the line to my hub is 2500k and the usual "must be your equipment". I havent changed anything and only have a pc with wired connection so it seems strange I am experiencing the same problems as everyone else on here yet they claim the line speed is ok ?? Have tried resetting the hub and no difference, BT suggested I called their chargeable problem line ! It was a British person not Indian as usual but not too helpful.

Kevin Milkins
05-Feb-11, 14:44
It's starting to wind me up now,grrrrrrr, every time I try to do my lottery on line it bombs me out at the confirm payment stage.

RecQuery
05-Feb-11, 15:19
I had similar problems a while back (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?129193-Broadband-performance-(congestion)-opinions-and-comparisons), they were fixed for a bit but now they're back. This isn't something they're monitoring will pick up itself. I urge anyone with issues like this to report it to their ISP and to chase them up on it. If they come back saying no problem found or something similar report it again maybe they may actually do something if their stats are messed up. Plus if lots of people from the same area do it they may take it seriously.

Most ISPs are reluctant to pickup speed problems, because BT are very reluctant to acknowledge speed problems (see earlier link) so I urge everyone to just lie... and if you don't get anywhere ask to speak to a supervisor, floor walker, manager, senior analyst whatever your ISP calls them. Consider just hanging up completey and calling again sometimes depending on the person you get.

Test speed at http://speedtester.bt.com/ ISPs and BT can see the results you get there, but back this test up with tests from else as the BT speedtester lies, it tests speed between you and the exchange not you and the Internet.
Tell them you've tried connecting with another router (a standard ISP tactic is to mail you a router and hope you'll go away)
Tell them you've tested while being the only device connected to the router and while using a cable
Tell them you've tried replacing the microfilter
tell them you've plugged into the master socket (this one is complete crap I've no idea why those script monkies ask it)
Tell them you tried replacing the RJ11 cable (that's the one between the router and the micofilter)
Tell them everything connected to the phoneline goes via a microfilter but that for good measure you've tried unplugging all fax machines and Sky boxes etc.
Tell them you've tried testing speed via numerous devices and that you've ever rebooted into Safe Mode With Networking where applicable.

If you don't get anywhere with that try e-mailing them using a chat service if available, complaining etc.

One thing I notice recently actually is random disconnects or I'll be connected and traffic routing will just randomly stop.

captain chaos
05-Feb-11, 17:00
Managed to find this about the castletown exchange. Phoned my provider "SKY" and got the usual idiot who wants you to check just what RecQuery has in the above post. Eventualy got so annoyed with him asked to be put through to disconnections.

Results: Castletown Code: NSCTW
County: Highland
Enabled: 23 Jun 2004
Market: 1

Virtual paths: Red

BT is reporting that some of the virtual paths at this exchange are not operating within BT Wholesale's planning guidance, although they are still operating within the product specification.

At busy times, your ADSL connection may operate at a reduced speed, although not all customers on your exchange may be affected. You should only contact support if there is no current ETA date set.

The ETA fix time is: 03 Mar 11

Record last updated: 04 Feb 11

RecQuery
05-Feb-11, 17:41
Managed to find this about the castletown exchange. Phoned my provider "SKY" and got the usual idiot who wants you to check just what RecQuery has in the above post. Eventualy got so annoyed with him asked to be put through to disconnections.

Results: Castletown Code: NSCTW
County: Highland
Enabled: 23 Jun 2004
Market: 1

Virtual paths: Red

BT is reporting that some of the virtual paths at this exchange are not operating within BT Wholesale's planning guidance, although they are still operating within the product specification.

At busy times, your ADSL connection may operate at a reduced speed, although not all customers on your exchange may be affected. You should only contact support if there is no current ETA date set.

The ETA fix time is: 03 Mar 11

Record last updated: 04 Feb 11

The Thurso Exchange had VP issues a while back, what it basically means is that BT will massively oversubscribe the links between exchanges and their backend network (they usually come in 32MB and 64MB lines) so should everyone on the same link try to download something at the same time they'll get no where near the speed they should. It's like say fifty people in an office sharing the same toilet as long as they don't need to use it at the same time then it's not noticeable. I still think there's a deeper issue in the BT backend.

Part of the problem is most ISPs, call centres and helpdesks actually hire for 'customer service ability' instead of the ability to actually fix a problem or just hire the cheapest people they can find. They think they can train technical knowledge (whether IT knowledge, banking or whatever) into people in 2 to 4 weeks and then give them a script to follow. So you end up with people who sound like their smiling on the other end of the phone or who are really good at apologising but who can't actually help you. I seen this from the backend I've worked for a few IT helpdesks while at uni, these were business and corporate support things so you'd expect a higher quality but it was still just the same. I was convinced that they could answer the same volume of calls if not more and have happier customers with a quarter of the people if they just hired a better quality of person and paid more.

I still urge people to chase this up, call and mess up stats etc. It's the only way they take stuff seriously.

lynne duncan
05-Feb-11, 18:41
ours is playing up too and so is my dad's but we're with talktalk and dad is with bt
and trying to get a speed test is very painful
just got 180k instead of my usual 1M hmmmm!

gingernut
05-Feb-11, 20:14
Internet so slow here it's driving me mad. Can't even load the speedtest page let alone use it. I'm with Supanet isp but BT line. Is there anything can be done about this or do we just all have to wait until BT problems are fixed?

Ambassador G'Kar
05-Feb-11, 20:23
Our usual 0.4 is down to 0.09M BT unaware of any problems - that's two- three days now!

Just got transferred to BT Broadband technical who would definitely know what was going on - 1/2 hour on the phone to talk to someone in India who by his own admission does not even have a map of the UK showing where Caithness is. I tried to give some idea of the scale of the problem by comparing with the size of Calcutta but he didn't have too much of an idea about his own country. Instead he cheerfully informed me that the engineer would tell me what the Caithness wide problem is on the 10th of February in a totally unrelated visit! I can,t wait only 5 days to go!

If you telephone 0800 1690 199 you will be updated on known issues - which as of now are all in England!

RecQuery
05-Feb-11, 20:25
Internet so slow here it's driving me mad. Can't even load the speedtest page let alone use it. I'm with Supanet isp but BT line. Is there anything can be done about this or do we just all have to wait until BT problems are fixed?

Every ISP up here uses BT as the backend, they all essentially resell BT's network and that's part of the problem. As I've said before phone your ISP let them know the problem, tell them others in the area have it. If enough of them report it to BT they may actually do something.

I despise BT they never do anything right, surely by the law of averages they have to do something right at some point. They also have somehow managed to convince the general public to accept the crappy service they get.

Here's my usage graph for the day, I'm getting really crappy performance varying between 65 KB/s and 117 KB/s

http://a.gormless.aaisp.net.uk/cqm/688de8d71f9430935789e5bfc5efe28bd1d74c30/2011-02-05/BBIP16872229.png

tommy1979
05-Feb-11, 20:55
my broadband line went off for about 20 mins there, thought yay thats them fixing it...came back on and yep you guessed it...still same crappy performance [evil]

Venture
05-Feb-11, 21:04
Same here was looking forward to watching some programmes on bbci but when it came back on, there was no difference.[disgust]

Gronnuck
05-Feb-11, 21:39
I've just found my BT Broadband back to 'normal' out of the Barrock exchange. It's still ar$e but I have to live in hope that a newer, more reliable technology is just around the corner!

The Angel Of Death
05-Feb-11, 22:04
Think that's mines fixed hub went down and then back up a few mins later downloads now flying down again and tv stuff maxing out at 8 mb

Venture
05-Feb-11, 22:12
Everything back to normal for me too. If anything I'd say it's running better than before the fault. Happy browsing.:)

gingernut
06-Feb-11, 00:11
Mine's back to normal too. Even though it's not great (Barrock exchange) it's an improvement on past few days.

Serenity
06-Feb-11, 00:15
I had similar problems a while back (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?129193-Broadband-performance-%28congestion%29-opinions-and-comparisons), they were fixed for a bit but now they're back. This isn't something they're monitoring will pick up itself. I urge anyone with issues like this to report it to their ISP and to chase them up on it. If they come back saying no problem found or something similar report it again maybe they may actually do something if their stats are messed up. Plus if lots of people from the same area do it they may take it seriously.

Most ISPs are reluctant to pickup speed problems, because BT are very reluctant to acknowledge speed problems (see earlier link) so I urge everyone to just lie... and if you don't get anywhere ask to speak to a supervisor, floor walker, manager, senior analyst whatever your ISP calls them. Consider just hanging up completey and calling again sometimes depending on the person you get.

Test speed at http://speedtester.bt.com/ ISPs and BT can see the results you get there, but back this test up with tests from else as the BT speedtester lies, it tests speed between you and the exchange not you and the Internet.
Tell them you've tried connecting with another router (a standard ISP tactic is to mail you a router and hope you'll go away)
Tell them you've tested while being the only device connected to the router and while using a cable
Tell them you've tried replacing the microfilter
tell them you've plugged into the master socket (this one is complete crap I've no idea why those script monkies ask it)
Tell them you tried replacing the RJ11 cable (that's the one between the router and the micofilter)
Tell them everything connected to the phoneline goes via a microfilter but that for good measure you've tried unplugging all fax machines and Sky boxes etc.
Tell them you've tried testing speed via numerous devices and that you've ever rebooted into Safe Mode With Networking where applicable.

If you don't get anywhere with that try e-mailing them using a chat service if available, complaining etc.

One thing I notice recently actually is random disconnects or I'll be connected and traffic routing will just randomly stop.

The reason the "script monkies" ask if you are plugged into the master socket is to rule out faulty extensions. Also, it is generally better to have your router plugged into the main telephone socket and then use ethernet cables as the extensions as they are designed for internet data transfer, where as phone extensions aren't (designed for voice obv).

By all means lie to your ISP if you want but if they send a BT engineer out (or in unbundled areas, their own engineer) and find it is a faulty extension or microfilter be prepared for a nice big bill.
I have worked in tech support for 3 isps and I have seen the difference in the stats a microfilter change or plugging directly into the master socket can make. And I am no script monkey.

Obviously in this case it was a general problem in this area and RecQuery I normally find your advice spot on but in this case it is so off.

Niall Fernie
06-Feb-11, 00:22
Although strangely everyone's problem seems to be fixed. My replacement router has not arrived and the splitter that I bought last time I was told to replace it seems to have worked as well as the old one that's now connected. I actually got a decent bloke at my ISP who said basically he has to get me to go through all the hoops in case as has been suggested a faullt really exists at my end of the line (dodgy router etc) but admitted that all would probably be well, regardless of who could see what problem at his end once the "priority one" problem was dealth with at the exchange. Sure enough, here I sit, same equipment in place and broadband is back to its usual grotty self, working but still not 8 meg :)

Colin Manson
06-Feb-11, 02:57
mmm, most remember to come here first and check to see if everyone else is having bother before I rip everything apart and test it with 3 different routers. :rolleyes: Now I just need to wait for my current line speed to catch up with my estimated speed and all will be fine.

changilass
06-Feb-11, 03:02
Tut tut Colin, every one knows, if you wanna know summat, you come on the org lol

Chrisf1961
06-Feb-11, 09:39
Everything back to normal for me too. If anything I'd say it's running better than before the fault. Happy browsing.

Flying along here as well although i did run crapcleaner......my son can now run his Charlie n Lola videos on you tube now ! ...wether thats a good or bad thing who knows

veekay
06-Feb-11, 13:08
SCREAM I have just had a wonderful visit to Region 6 and have come back none the wiser. According to the gentleman the whole area is being upgraded - though he couldn't tell me which area it was he was talking about. He asked that I keep a note of my speeds - how when I can't do a speed test as it is running too slowly - and that he will telephone tomorrow to tell me he has sorted the problem. I am not going to be holding my breath. Any one out there aware of this county wide upgrade? And if we are being upgraded why when I telephone the number Ambassador G'Kar thoughtfully provided do I get information about Carlisle and no-where else? SCREAM!

RecQuery
06-Feb-11, 13:32
The reason the "script monkies" ask if you are plugged into the master socket is to rule out faulty extensions. Also, it is generally better to have your router plugged into the main telephone socket and then use ethernet cables as the extensions as they are designed for internet data transfer, where as phone extensions aren't (designed for voice obv).

By all means lie to your ISP if you want but if they send a BT engineer out (or in unbundled areas, their own engineer) and find it is a faulty extension or microfilter be prepared for a nice big bill.
I have worked in tech support for 3 isps and I have seen the difference in the stats a microfilter change or plugging directly into the master socket can make. And I am no script monkey.

Obviously in this case it was a general problem in this area and RecQuery I normally find your advice spot on but in this case it is so off.

I suppose that's what dealing with dodgy ISPs has driven me to, that's why I pay a premium for decent support now though I hardly use it. I've done phone support with non-technical and supposed technical users myself it is frustrating when they lie. I know why ISPs ask those questions in some situations, but the logic of every scripting system seems to ask it when there's no need to. I've seen having no microfilter on one device or a dodgy microfilter half speeds.

I've worked for ISPs and helpdesks also, I never followed the script. I had my own troubleshooting procedure, which anecdotally put me in the top 3 for stats on site. People find it annoying when the person they're talking to is following a script. I've had some helpdesk people ask me the same question three times because their scripting system was broken or in a loop or whatever. That's not say ISPs don't have decent people I considered myself one of them when I worked there.

I've got horror stories from both sides and BT engineer horror stories and I generally check all those things and hell for that last ongoing problem I linked to, I even checked TCP windowing and tweaked the MTU because I've seen them cause issues in the past. It's really not that difficult for ISPs and BT to automatically pick up these things especially when they affect a large amount of people. They don't officially declare it though because it means it'll screw up their SLAs.

All of those questions though, actually everything ISPs do seem to be part of delaying tactics designed to let them avoid having to pick up any problems. To quote my ISPs MD RevK/Adrian Kennard "We are working on the hot poker, but some issues need a lot of battling these days. There is a general problem with getting through layers of defences to get faults actually fixed. And that has been getting worse." I'm not sure why they do it perhaps some business BS about stats or something, I don't know why they can't just make the only stats: was it fixed properly the first time and is the customer happy but there you go.

BTW I still have my problem, I suppose people think it's back to normal now that they're getting something like 4 meg, but it's not.

maidenmania
06-Feb-11, 15:18
Bring on cable we have basic Virgin service and currently 9.94mb

Corrie 3
06-Feb-11, 15:36
Mine is up and down like a yo-yo !!

C3...:roll::eek::eek:
All results

DateDownload SpeedUpload SpeedToday 09:092408 kbps (301kB/s)374 kbps (46.8kB/s)Share (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/75602621.png)Today 09:092584 kbps (323kB/s)367 kbps (45.9kB/s)Share (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/75602541.png)Today 09:082648 kbps (331kB/s)375 kbps (46.9kB/s)Share (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/75602471.png)Today 09:082432 kbps (304kB/s)330 kbps (41.3kB/s)Share (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/75602401.png)Yesterday 19:592546 kbps (318kB/s)377 kbps (47.1kB/s)Share (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/75538651.png)Yesterday 19:582439 kbps (305kB/s)371 kbps (46.4kB/s)Share (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/75538581.png)Yesterday 09:056792 kbps (849kB/s)374 kbps (46.8kB/s)Share (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/75404591.png)Friday 19:242915 kbps (364kB/s)377 kbps (47.1kB/s)Share (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/75329661.png)Friday 19:242902 kbps (363kB/s)363 kbps (45.4kB/s)Share (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/75329531.png)Friday 14:472919 kbps (365kB/s)376 kbps (47kB/s)Share (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/75267831.png)Friday 14:462975 kbps (372kB/s)374 kbps (46.8kB/s)Share (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/75267691.png)Friday 12:112921 kbps (365kB/s)370 kbps (46.3kB/s)Share (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/75233651.png)Friday 12:112928 kbps (366kB/s)369 kbps (46.1kB/s)Share (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/75233551.png)Wednesday 21:234321 kbps (540kB/s)374 kbps (46.8kB/s)Share (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/74939421.png)Wednesday 21:223435 kbps (429kB/s)373 kbps (46.6kB/s)Share (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/74939301.png)Wednesday 19:514849 kbps (606kB/s)377 kbps (47.1kB/s)Share (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/74914691.png)Wednesday 19:504899 kbps (612kB/s)374 kbps (46.8kB/s)Share (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/74914401.png)Wednesday 19:422545 kbps (318kB/s)374 kbps (46.8kB/s)Share (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/74912291.png)Wednesday 19:30687 kbps (85.9kB/s)372 kbps (46.5kB/s)Share (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/74908891.png)Jan 26, 16:495316 kbps (665kB/s)371 kbps (46.4kB/s)Share (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/73547591.png)Jan 26, 16:485025 kbps (628kB/s)361 kbps (45.1kB/s)Share (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/73547471.png)Jan 14, 09:317058 kbps (882kB/s)375 kbps (46.9kB/s)Share (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/71615831.png)Jan 13, 14:326961 kbps (870kB/s)378 kbps (47.3kB/s)Share (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/71453151.png)Jan 12, 12:316949 kbps (869kB/s)379 kbps (47.4kB/s)Share (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/71215241.png)Jan 12, 12:314074 kbps (509kB/s)329 kbps (41.1kB/s)Share (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/71215151.png)Jan 11, 09:036942 kbps (868kB/s)366 kbps (45.8kB/s)Share (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/70973401.png)Jan 10, 12:245708 kbps (714kB/s)379 kbps (47.4kB/s)Share (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/70792271.png)Jan 9, 09:596923 kbps (865kB/s)365 kbps (45.6kB/s)Share (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/70574061.png)Jan 8, 08:486947 kbps (868kB/s)376 kbps (47kB/s)Share (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/70360211.png)Jan 6, 13:415312 kbps (664kB/s)376 kbps (47kB/s)Share (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/70004291.png)

Download this data as XML (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/export.php?type=xml), CSV (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/export.php?type=csv) or JSON (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/export.php?type=json).

Gizmo
06-Feb-11, 15:38
My speed has improved, but it's up and down like a yo-yo. A couple of hours ago it was 4.5mb, and now it's down to 1.3mb, so things are certainly not back to normal yet.

veekay
07-Feb-11, 11:42
Further to my post yesterday BT telephoned back (I know I don't believe it either) to get a status report from me - I still can't do anything slow doesn't begin to cover it - he wanted to take me through the normal procedures again, NO it isn't me it is everyone. The long and the short of it is that he (Sean/Shaun apparently) is handing it to the engineers as there might be a major problem - only might! I will let you know what happens

Kevin Milkins
07-Feb-11, 12:03
Whatever is causing the problem,:confused I think the pressure is on to get it sorted.:eek:
Full Time Customer Service Advisors (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?135108-Full-Time-Customer-Service-Advisors)

Gizmo
07-Feb-11, 12:56
My speed seems to have stabilised at 6.4mb this morning. I did get a call back from The Post Office last night, and they wanted to book a BT engineer to come to my house as they told me that BT are not aware of any problems at the exchange. It would seem that as usual, BT are as organised as a pail of worms. Surely someone in Orgerville must know a local BT engineer and can ask them if they are aware of a problem at the exchange?

Corrie 3
07-Feb-11, 13:03
Mine is struggling at 2400kbps this morning so whatever it is it aint fixed yet...I want my 7 meg back !!!!!!! Aaaaaaarrrrgh!!!

C3......:mad::mad::mad:

The Angel Of Death
07-Feb-11, 13:09
I know the BB went down again last night roughtly back of 12 ish but before and after it came back up mines has been back to normal ish speed and download wise

Shabbychic
07-Feb-11, 14:03
I can't believe the speeds some folks get up here. The max I can get is 512k, and that's on a good day. I know this is because of the distance I am from the exchange, but it's still annoying, especially since AOL have decided to raise my monthly payments from £14.99 to £19.99. Needless to say I'm leaving them as soon as my contract is up.

The Angel Of Death
07-Feb-11, 15:24
If they raised your contract price and you dont agree with the raise shouldnt that let you cancel your contract with immediate effect enableing you to move elsewhere ?

Unless of course it was one of them so much for so long contracts

veekay
07-Feb-11, 15:26
I am the same Shabbychic which is why I am so peed off I am used to slow but now it is just about stop. I wish I could get hold of a BT number for the UK it isn't region 6 fault they just don't have the information I need so I won't shout at them but boy I wish I could shout at someone!

Corrie 3
07-Feb-11, 15:28
According to BT its been fixed since Saturday...sadly no mention of Caithness!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-12383787

C3..

oldmarine
08-Feb-11, 03:27
Looks like the Internet problems have gotten better. My problem is my computer. Still trying to get it under control. I think I must be losing it at 85 years of age.

Phill
09-Feb-11, 12:08
How is the tinterweb today?

Mine is running like the proverbial crock of! It won't stay on long enough to figure out what speed I'm getting!

Gizmo
09-Feb-11, 12:16
How is the tinterweb today?

Mine is running like the proverbial crock of! It won't stay on long enough to figure out what speed I'm getting!

No problems here (Wick) since Monday, and even when there was a problem, it was always connected to the web, just running very slowly, so maybe your problem is something different.

bekisman
09-Feb-11, 12:17
I'm three miles from the exchange.. and a hundred metre section of this line, near me was aluminium - been there for 22+ years, along with numerous faults in that underground section - why, BT even 'gave' us free Total Care.
But recently the gave in, and to save money, replaced that section with proper telephone cable.. usually I can get 3500 kbps, but now regularly I get 5490 kbps, wow!

Phill
09-Feb-11, 12:26
We've been having problems here for about 2 years. It's always on and off but since last night it has been dire.

I really don't have it in me anymore to speak to Indian 'Bob'.

charlie
09-Feb-11, 12:47
I really don't have it in me anymore to speak to Indian 'Bob'.

Is this the fella - Much Quickness - Plenty Cheapness!

http://shawadiwadi.blogspot.com/

bekisman
09-Feb-11, 12:56
Is this the fella - Much Quickness - Plenty Cheapness!

http://shawadiwadi.blogspot.com/

Should be careful; he's being sued http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/46728-clientco-sueing-bob-shawadiwadi.html

RecQuery
09-Feb-11, 14:12
The amount of foreign IT guys I've dealt with or worked with who are useless, I've got enough stories to write a book. That's not to say they all are but anyone from a foreign country with good skills will demand a comparable wage to everyone else in he world. The only ones you get for cheap are the useless ones, they're either crap or just lie about abilities and education. The only reason systems keep running for so long is because the guy who set them up in the first place did it to such an extent that they could run fine for five years or so. I'm surprised people still use them, they must have the best PR in history either that or it's a positive stereotype.

veekay
09-Feb-11, 16:18
Region 6 promised me so much. I am glad I didn't hold my breath on the outcome of those promises as nothing materialised no call from an engineer nothing from region 6,ho hum such is life! I have managed to creep through a speed test 501 Kbps not good

Tugmistress
09-Feb-11, 16:53
Had problems since about friday, not a particular time of day or any particular sites, but especially one of my email addresses kept timing out while the other was fine, so got in touch with my hosts thinking it might be them, but they got me to do a ping then a tracert and i got this reply from them, so been in touch with BT and waiting on a reply

I would speak to BT as your connection is coming from them directly from their modem (that you are wired to), as this kind of connection speed would be ok, about 10 years ago, but certainly not on a broadband connection. Again, try a reset of your modem, and then run another traceroute, if it's still in the 100's of ms response, give them a call.

octane
09-Feb-11, 17:05
Im with Bt and not had one bit of bother with my connection, I never bother with speedtests tbh but done one to show that theres no probs here and im using same exchange. This was done using Wireless connection and while theres 4 active internet connections going through the hub

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1149928359.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

And to make it more unbelievably random ive just changed server to Honolulu which is thousands of miles away

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1149940434.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Tugmistress
09-Feb-11, 17:13
If i have done this right, using the same site as you
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1149945081.png

this is with 2 internet connections :(

matched your honolulu one

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1149968676.png

bekisman
09-Feb-11, 17:32
same test:
Maidenhead 5.90 mb/s Ping 73 ms UP: 0.36 mb/s no bad?

gillsbay
09-Feb-11, 18:25
have just run a test on speedtest.net, I just love it because it makes me feel I have a very good connection

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1150050584.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

hope that link works, haven't tried this before.

Oh by the way that 14.89Meg download is fairly slow I regularly get over 20meg and that on an 8meg connection through Thurso exchange, how do they do it!

Phill
09-Feb-11, 18:54
Oh by the way that 14.89Meg download is fairly slow I regularly get over 20meg and that on an 8meg connection through Thurso exchange, how do they do it!

We used to get 4 - 6mb on a 2mb contract without any drops or problems until BT changed their contention ratios, we since get about 1.5mb but it is on off off off on off off on off on off on off off off off off on etc. etc.
When on the phone you can hear a click and the BB will go off. Evening is generally favourite for it going off.
Had engineer after engineer, all done their stuff and very sympathetic and the line checks are always spot on. The engineers indicate to a fault in or beyond the exchange but until it happens when they are here there is nothing they can do.
What really peeves me are the constant ad's for 20Mb!! Get 1.5mb to work first hey!!

northener
09-Feb-11, 19:07
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1150119294.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

About average here in Keiss

The Angel Of Death
09-Feb-11, 19:15
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1150133653.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Phill
09-Feb-11, 19:23
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1150146036.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

This is when it stays on.

octane
09-Feb-11, 19:34
have just run a test on speedtest.net, I just love it because it makes me feel I have a very good connection

Someones telling porkys I reckon ;)

Speedtest is indicating your around 50miles from Maidstone ping servers so your location when you done that is not far outside London or within it....... no wonder you have half decent speeds.

Talk-talk have 24mb superfast broadband at your nearest exchange down there and will obviously drop off the further your away from it.

That was not done in Thurso!!! :Razz

Gizmo
09-Feb-11, 20:00

They DON'T do it, it's simply not possible.

gillsbay
09-Feb-11, 20:45
Someones telling porkys I reckon ;)

Speedtest is indicating your around 50miles from Maidstone ping servers so your location when you done that is not far outside London or within it....... no wonder you have half decent speeds.

Talk-talk have 24mb superfast broadband at your nearest exchange down there and will obviously drop off the further your away from it.

That was not done in Thurso!!! :Razz

It is interesting that you assume I am telling lies, I have no reason to do so.
I can assure you that I am in Thurso, looks as if speedtest are the ones telling porkies, I posted this as I have great difficulty believing speedtest results because of the fact that I have had a few sites giving me impossible speeds, I am guessing that my isp may be using a proxy server and it has a fast connection.
I do find that the thinkbroadband speedtest gives me a more realistic figure and it varies from as high as 7meg down to around 1.5meg when things are working normally.

Gizmo
09-Feb-11, 21:09
It is interesting that you assume I am telling lies, I have no reason to do so.
I can assure you that I am in Thurso, looks as if speedtest are the ones telling porkies, I posted this as I have great difficulty believing speedtest results because of the fact that I have had a few sites giving me impossible speeds, I am guessing that my isp may be using a proxy server and it has a fast connection.
I do find that the thinkbroadband speedtest gives me a more realistic figure and it varies from as high as 7meg down to around 1.5meg when things are working normally.

I get pretty much the same speed results regardless of which speedtest i use.

As for your 14mb result, i have no explanation as to why that is the result you are getting, but i can say with a good degree of certainty that it's not the actual speed you are getting. It's simply not possible to get speeds of over 8mb from any Caithness telephone exchange.

Stack Rock
09-Feb-11, 23:02
Here's my results

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1150455887.png

Not impressed !!!!

Dialyser
10-Feb-11, 00:28
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1150554346.png

This is a typical result for me. Surely it should be better given some of the readings others have?

Liz
10-Feb-11, 14:04
These are my results

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1151275561.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Doesn't seem fair that we all pay the same price yet many of us are getting much lower speeds.

Gizmo
10-Feb-11, 14:37
These are my results

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1151275561.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Doesn't seem fair that we all pay the same price yet many of us are getting much lower speeds.

I'm afraid It's just all down to how far away from the telephone exchange you are.

Liz
10-Feb-11, 14:48
Yes I appreciate that Gizmo. Just annoying.:D

Geo
10-Feb-11, 20:54
Well up until today I wasn't having any problems with BB speed, however this afternoon and tonight it is like a slug through treacle!

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1151846403.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

DeHaviLand
10-Feb-11, 21:14
Having a shocker here tonight
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1151875055.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

DeHaviLand
10-Feb-11, 21:27
Tested again in case it was just a glitch

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1151895729.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

octane
10-Feb-11, 21:44
Weird goings on round here although mines has never twitched (touch head) :confused

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1151910652.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Although the results differ these speedtest sites do fluctuate quite a bit and there is a few factors taking into consideration

1. You may have exceeded your monthly isp limit and are being bandwidth throttled during peak times

2. Your using wireless connection and maybe just running on a weak signal from the router

3. Microfilter probs

4. Lots of programs running in the background

5. Others in the house either gaming online, watching movies/clips etc on another pc/laptop

6. Someone piggybacking onto your unsecured wireless network munching up bandwidth

7. Bogged down pc specs or a pretty much unhealthy system low on resources.

8. Heavy traffic using these speedtest sites or problems with the site itself

9. Lacklustre ISP provider

10. Line Fault

Geo
10-Feb-11, 22:12
Given the different ISPS involved and that they are all using BT's infrastructure I'd say BT have a problem somewhere.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1151953942.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

DeHaviLand
10-Feb-11, 22:14
Weird goings on round here although mines has never twitched (touch head) :confused

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1151910652.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Although the results differ these speedtest sites do fluctuate quite a bit and there is a few factors taking into consideration

1. You may have exceeded your monthly isp limit and are being bandwidth throttled during peak times
No, on unlimited and never download music or films

2. Your using wireless connection and maybe just running on a weak signal from the router
No, running on cable

3. Microfilter probs
Dont think so, its 2 weeks old

4. Lots of programs running in the background
Everything shut down

5. Others in the house either gaming online, watching movies/clips etc on another pc/laptop
No one else here, ever!:(

6. Someone piggybacking onto your unsecured wireless network munching up bandwidth
I have mine secured

7. Bogged down pc specs or a pretty much unhealthy system low on resources.
New lappie, only loaded 2 progs to it

8. Heavy traffic using these speedtest sites or problems with the site itself
Possible

9. Lacklustre ISP provider
Without a doubt

10. Line Fault
Not according to Indian Bob

Gotta hate BT

luskentyre
11-Feb-11, 00:30
I've noticed my broadband speed slow right down on two occasions over the past couple of weeks. On both occasions I reset my router (a BT HomeHub) and it seemed to resolve the problem. Might be worth trying in the first instance.

veekay
11-Feb-11, 13:03
OK so today I get a download speed of 1414Kbps. I did nothing ( unless swearing at the machine makes things run quicker!)

RecQuery
11-Feb-11, 13:23
I notice that speed is particularly bad today at work. Using something called SSH it's taking me 3 to 5 seconds to send a single character. Personally I think that BT are still working on it, or didn't fix it properly. So business as usual for them then.

sms
11-Feb-11, 19:08
Im in Watten and the broadband has been really slow all day

veekay
11-Feb-11, 19:31
OOPs sorry they must have taken all your speeds and given them to me for today - I mean going from 501 t0 1414 means they must have done something:lol:

bekisman
20-Feb-11, 22:03
What's going on tonight? my download is usually 5.90. Just done speedtest.net and Ping 433 Morecambe. Download 1.28!! up 0.32 Any ideas?:confused

brandy
20-Feb-11, 22:09
could be the massive solar flairs that we are having at the moment? they said it could easily disrupt communications?