PDA

View Full Version : gritter

Doreen
13-Jan-11, 22:40
Cant believe it on my way to work tonight going past de shoe shop and the gritter passed me spreading grit not a bit of snow to be seen yet when the snow was thick on the road their was no gritter to be seen:eek:

DeHaviLand
14-Jan-11, 00:17
So you're objecting to them spreading as a precaution against ice? I bet you'd be the first to complain if you wrecked your car after skidding on black ice in the morning :roll:

Gronnuck
14-Jan-11, 00:35
Cant believe it on my way to work tonight going past de shoe shop and the gritter passed me spreading grit not a bit of snow to be seen yet when the snow was thick on the road their was no gritter to be seen:eek:

Those responsible are possibly aware that in view of recent rain and the possibility of the temperature dropping below 0C overnight there might be a danger of ice in the morning.
Did it not occur to you that, "when the snow was thick on the road their was no gritter to be seen," they might have been deployed elsewhere in the county?
Grit serves no purpose if it is spread on top of snow - snow has to be cleared first - and this slows the process down.

.D.
14-Jan-11, 02:33
So what's the logical/practical thing to do here then? I can hear Doreen's point. Even though it's perfectly logical that the gritters were out to prevent ice today, what do the council do when the ice is thick & treturous out there, NOTHING! I think they expect us to just tip toe & pray that we don't fall & break our legs.

At xmas, a lad slipped outside of my house & broke his ankle, you couldn't even see the road markings because the ice was so thick. It's not acceptable!

theone
14-Jan-11, 03:07
what do the council do when the ice is thick & treturous out there, NOTHING!

I think you'll find the council workers were VERY busy during the ice and snow.

The council policy gritting and ploughing strategy can be found here:

http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourenvironment/roadsandtransport/wintermaintenance/winterservices.htm

I have to admit that I had to park a couple of hundred yards away from my house onto a bus route as I couldn't get up the hill!

The amount of snow we had over such a period, it's little surprise to me that the road (low priority) was untreated for so long.

.D.
14-Jan-11, 03:13
I think you'll find the council workers were VERY busy during the ice and snow.

So, howcome we never seen a gritter from our house? Considering we live in the heart of Thurso. & how come all of the roads, other than Traill St. weren't gritted?

As I said, a lad broke his ankle outside on the ice, that number could quiet easily have been much more.

theone
14-Jan-11, 03:20
So, howcome we never seen a gritter from our house? Considering we live in the heart of Thurso. & how come all of the roads, other than Traill St. weren't gritted?

As I said, a lad broke his ankle outside on the ice, that number could quiet easily have been much more.

Read the link from the council website.

I assume you live on a "priority 4" road the same as me.

Low priority.

*EDIT*

Here's a map of the road in Caithness that all have to be treated and clear before the priority 4 roads in town are done.

http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/ACED1C06-DD14-446E-B72E-9C87775576A7/0/WSCaithnessNthSuthMaps.pdf

That's a lot of road.

.D.
14-Jan-11, 03:43
I apoligise, but I'm having problems opening this link up. I'll try again in the morning.

Okay. So, what you're saying is, because we live in a "low priority" area, basically, tough? Accept the fact & move on?

I know you haven't set the rules, & I understand you're accepting what the council have outlined, but I think it's terrible. In this society that is run by health & safety, they neglect what is arguably the greatest risk of the lot, ice.

I understand that the Government have had to make cutbacks, & that the council have been afftected gravely by these cutbacks, but to cut the cost on road safety is an accident waiting to happen.

theone
14-Jan-11, 03:55
I'm not asking you to accept anything. It is entirely up to you what you want to do.

All I've said is that the council roads teams were very busy as opposed to doing "nothing".

Once you see the map of the higher priority roads you'll see how big a job it was, especially as Caithness hasn't seen a cold snap like that in a generation.

The priorities are set out to keep the maximum number of roads open for the maximum amount of people possible. I'm pretty sure that if somebody in Halkirk or Castletown died because an ambulance couldn't get through when the snowplough was clearing the backstreets of Thurso there would be an outcry.

northener
14-Jan-11, 08:31
So what's the logical/practical thing to do here then? I can hear Doreen's point. Even though it's perfectly logical that the gritters were out to prevent ice today, what do the council do when the ice is thick & treturous out there, NOTHING! I think they expect us to just tip toe & pray that we don't fall & break our legs.

At xmas, a lad slipped outside of my house & broke his ankle, you couldn't even see the road markings because the ice was so thick. It's not acceptable!

Nothing?

My arse.

Burnside
14-Jan-11, 08:47
I think this nation is becoming a bit soft and always looking for someone else to blame. What happened 30 years ago? Did you complain about the council because they never cleared the paths? I don't think so. I bet people just went and got a shovel and cleared it themselves and probably helped their neighbour too. What is wrong is that we have not had a bad winter like this for ages and people tend to forget that hey it is January this is the time of year to expect snow. Would rather clear my own path than have to pay more taxes because we have hundreds of staff on the council just waiting for ice and snow.

_Ju_
14-Jan-11, 09:12
In this society that is run by health & safety, they neglect what is arguably the greatest risk of the lot, ice.

Even though, as you put it, society is run health and safety, that does not exempt people for taking responsibility for their own safety and adapting what they do to the circumstances. It is impossible for the kind of weather we have been having, to guarantee clear roads for anyone. Even if you had a never ending bucket of money to throw at the problem, which the council doesn't. That major routes/bus routes were kept as open as they were was pretty good.
You know how people tend to say that Britain grinds to a halt at the sight of a snow flake while Canada and the USA just get on with it? Well, I know someone in North Carolina where they have had exptionally heavy snow fall recently ( From the photo it looked pretty much like what fell here). Yet there was a grind to a halt and rushed the supermarkets for basics. Risk assesments cannot prepare for every eventuality.

Moonboots
14-Jan-11, 10:12
I think thats what everyone think this forum is for... everyone moaning....lol

Anyway my opinion is ... good work to the guys. however it could have been better especially my street through the bad spell. about 5 inches of ice lying on the road and only seen the gritter once until someone complained and they were soon up lol

Doreen
14-Jan-11, 10:21
My godness its all out war on the org because i mentioned a gritter was out spreading grit when the roads were clear yet last week most cars were all over the road because they were no sight of any gritters but as i can see some orgers like to have a good moan if they dont like or agree with what you have to say best thing is to keep your mouth shut their was no intention to upset anyone i was only stating my opinion:roll:

Walter Ego
14-Jan-11, 10:30
My godness its all out war on the org because i mentioned a gritter was out spreading grit when the roads were clear yet last week most cars were all over the road because they were no sight of any gritters but as i can see some orgers like to have a good moan if they dont like or agree with what you have to say best thing is to keep your mouth shut their was no intention to upset anyone i was only stating my opinion:roll:

You stated your opinion and others have stated theirs. That's how forums should work.

Doreen
14-Jan-11, 11:01
You stated your opinion and others have stated theirs. That's how forums should work.Ats fine by me totally agree it would be a sad world if we all agreed with each other

Doreen
14-Jan-11, 11:16
So you're objecting to them spreading as a precaution against ice? I bet you'd be the first to complain if you wrecked your car after skidding on black ice in the morning :roll:And yes i have skidded on my street several times since the snow has been because their have been no gritters and actully got stuck several times in my street.

bekisman
14-Jan-11, 11:24

Total nonsense - nothing but praise for them. We might live out in the sticks in Sutherland, but they were out every day - it must be comforting living a few yards from the shops, but when your nearest store is miles away, having the roads gritted is a necessity..

Doreen
14-Jan-11, 11:31
Total nonsense - nothing but praise for them. We might live out in the sticks in Sutherland, but they were out every day - it must be comforting living a few yards from the shops, but when your nearest store is miles away, having the roads gritted is a necessity.. Were talking about caithness not sutherland

Vistravi
14-Jan-11, 12:14
Were talking about caithness not sutherland

No we are talking about the gritters.

They have done a good job all things considered. Our street was very bad with the snow and ice and at one point to get parked my partner had to perform lots of handbrake turns to get parked in our space. Just down from our street was a bus route that was always gritted and rightfully so. Our street wasn't a high priority street. Thats the way it should be anyway. Low priority should be done when requested or when there is time.

Considering that out in the country the roads are alot worse you can understand why thurso back roads weren't done. Other people who live out in the country rely on the roads to be ok so they can get groceries. When you live in town its called your legs if you are able bodied.

Eilanboy
14-Jan-11, 12:29
Some people need to get a life (.D.).The council and Transerv can only do what their resources allow and like most fairminded people I thinjk they do a very good job.Gritters are sent out on the forecast the council receive each afternoon and like last night although there was no frost in the towns there was a good deal of it out in the country areas.Would,t it be wonderful if the council had the resources to clear the roads and pavements everywhere 24/7.The simple answer is to adapt to the conditions like most people do.

cherokee
14-Jan-11, 15:14
I'm completely behind Doreen !

Where there's a job to be done....then it should be done and done properly !!!! [evil]

I'm sure all the guys out and about trying to keep our roads clear (whilst I may add sitting in warm and comfortable conditions - I know this as a family member drives such machines ! ;)) would never complain about their wages at the end of week!! :eek:

Doreen is a very kind and considerate person and has only "tried" to leave her house in adverse conditions to help others!

Walter Ego
14-Jan-11, 15:57
I'm completely behind Doreen !

Where there's a job to be done....then it should be done and done properly !!!! [evil]

I'm sure all the guys out and about trying to keep our roads clear (whilst I may add sitting in warm and comfortable conditions - I know this as a family member drives such machines ! ;)) would never complain about their wages at the end of week!! :eek:

Doreen is a very kind and considerate person and has only "tried" to leave her house in adverse conditions to help others!

Yes, how dare those gritter drivers sit in warm and comfortable conditions. And earn money as well!

How lucky we are to have people like you, Cherokee. If it wasn't for your obvious knowledge of road clearing in adverse weather - where would we all be?

Get a grip.

Doreen
14-Jan-11, 16:03
No we are talking about the gritters.

They have done a good job all things considered. Our street was very bad with the snow and ice and at one point to get parked my partner had to perform lots of handbrake turns to get parked in our space. Just down from our street was a bus route that was always gritted and rightfully so. Our street wasn't a high priority street. Thats the way it should be anyway. Low priority should be done when requested or when there is time.

Considering that out in the country the roads are alot worse you can understand why thurso back roads weren't done. Other people who live out in the country rely on the roads to be ok so they can get groceries. When you live in town its called your legs if you are able bodied.Oh right well tell me this i forgot to mention the gritter was in our street this morning about 9 o clock spreading grit when it was 5 degrees and yes i have got legs but as i work in the public sector i have to drive to the country to get their an the roads i can assure you had no grit on them and that was a main road.