PDA

View Full Version : Calor gas V Oil heating

porshiepoo
08-Jan-11, 10:16
Just wondered what the pro's and cons were of using Calor gas as central heating as opposed Oil?

Anyone know what the local prices are for Calor gas at the moment and am I right in thinking gas price is price is regulated whereas Oil isn't?
What's the cost of a Calor gas tank (not installation just the tank and connection) as opposed to the Oil tanks?

Also does anyone on Calor gas know what the usage for a 4 bed house (well insulated) is? (obviously I know every property varies for different reasons I'm just trying to do a rough comparison of the two).

ducati
08-Jan-11, 11:49
I've been looking into this. I am all electric with electric convector heaters (not the latest or most efficient type apparently) I leave the imersion heater on all the time and the electric heaters all have their own thermostat.

I pay at most £200 per month for electricity, that does cooking, heating, dryer etc (everything) I also buy a couple of bags of coal a month for a multi burner (£30 ish).

I recon I am £100s a quarter better off than if I had Calorgas or Oil central heating.:D

The whole house is toasty warm even in the worst weather.

bagpuss
08-Jan-11, 23:43
Older houses with less insulation can be very costly to heat

Billy Boy
09-Jan-11, 10:54
I've been looking into this. I am all electric with electric convector heaters (not the latest or most efficient type apparently) I leave the imersion heater on all the time and the electric heaters all have their own thermostat.

I pay at most £200 per month for electricity, that does cooking, heating, dryer etc (everything) I also buy a couple of bags of coal a month for a multi burner (£30 ish).

I recon I am £100s a quarter better off than if I had Calorgas or Oil central heating.:D

The whole house is toasty warm even in the worst weather.

How do you work out your £100s better off than using gas or oil paying close to £250 a month to heat your house?

I have calor gas heating using a 25 year old boiler! Combined with electric we pay £175 a month, And i think this is still to much.
From what i have read, If i got a new condensing boiler i could save up to 25% from what i am using now.

ducati
09-Jan-11, 11:26
How do you work out your £100s better off than using gas or oil paying close to £250 a month to heat your house?

I have calor gas heating using a 25 year old boiler! Combined with electric we pay £175 a month, And i think this is still to much.
From what i have read, If i got a new condensing boiler i could save up to 25% from what i am using now.

I'm not sure how you are managing that. Others are paying £900 for a tank of oil that lasts 2 months.

Billy Boy
09-Jan-11, 11:44
I'm not sure how you are managing that. Others are paying £900 for a tank of oil that lasts 2 months.
Not to sure how oil works as am using calor gas, If someone using that amount of oil in 2 months, Then surely there must be something wrong with the boiler? Or they have a big house.
One of our friends has a 600 litre oil tank and they have to fill there one twice a year and like us,They have a small family so the heating is on a good few hours of the day.

Stargazer
09-Jan-11, 12:00

Do these 'others' live in a draughty castle? I pay about £900 a year at current oil prices. (Central heating and hot water)

One piece of advice would be to buy a tank that will last a whole year. That way you can fill up in the summer when prices are cheap. I've got a tank that lasts us about 8 months so sometimes filling up occurs at peak seasonal prices, like now.:(

ducati
09-Jan-11, 14:27
oops! I can't find the thread now. I think it was before Xmas, about Heating oil. Someone specifically mentioned that amount

porshiepoo
09-Jan-11, 16:35
I can't even find out the info i need on the tinternet.

Who is the local supplier for Calor gas for heating up here?

Anyone know what the cost of gas is?

Whitewater
09-Jan-11, 22:40
I priced this out several years ago, I was on solid fuel but did not really have much control on it, a certain wind direction would almost put you out of the house it was so hot. However, after pricing all the different options I settled on oil, it cost much less than gas, and I think still is. After two years, I had recouped the installation cost with the saving I had made, so it was'nt a bad investment.
If you are in a position to have town gas installed go for that, but otherwise oil is the most cost effective.

silversurfer
10-Jan-11, 20:36
I can't even find out the info i need on the tinternet.

Who is the local supplier for Calor gas for heating up here?

Anyone know what the cost of gas is?

I am on tank Calor Gas which comes from Grangemouth I think - but website is Calor.co.uk

My last bill was for gas and standing charge for rent of 1000 litre tank.
Tank rental 16.9p per day
Gas cost 47.9p per litre.

Expect there will be a rise in the gas price given demand and VAT increase!

Hope that helps