PDA

View Full Version : Wet electric Heating

Fran
08-Jan-11, 00:07
Does anyone have this kind of heating system/
Is it expensive to install and does it cost much to run?

ywindythesecond
08-Jan-11, 23:54
Fran, have a look at this thread.
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=501447

I had an off-peak electric storage heater boiler system which ran radiators and hot water in a house I had built in 1990, because there was a low bridge which tankers could not get under. Can't remember the name of the system, but it was quite new at the time. I had previously had off-peak warm air heating and that was much more expensive. I liked the wet system apart from one aspect which was that the electricity heated bricks like in a central storage unit, and when heat was required for the radiators, a fan blew air through the bricks and the super hot air warmed the water for the radiators. The fan was not noisy as such, but it was intrusive.

ywindythesecond
08-Jan-11, 23:58
Is it expensive to install? Well the pipework and radiators are the same as for any other heat source. The boiler cost would need to be compared with other types, but you wouldn't need an oil or gas tank. You would need to have a big enough incoming electricity supply and the chances are that if it is an existing house your supply might not be adequate and upgrading can be VERY expensive.