PDA

View Full Version : Driving me crazy help!!! Mackenzies!!

brandy
03-Jan-11, 08:23
ok here we go.. i can not find anything on this!! i have William Sutherland Mackenzie born april 25th 1876 in Keiss his dad is William Mackenzie and mum is Ann Sutherland .. they were married on april 22nd 1873.
but i can not for the life of me find anything else about ann or William .. can anyone help me.. please! *grins* i will love you forever!

Skifter
03-Jan-11, 12:41
There is a gravestone in Keiss Cemetery which reads as follows "Erected by Wm Sutheland, fishcurer, Keiss in memory of his son in law William Mackenzie who died Oct 8th 1876 aged 25 years also his daughter Jean Sutherland who died April5th 1880 aged 19 years.

In the 1881 census for Caithness the only William McKenzie born in 1876 appears in the following household in Willowbank Wick,

William Jack (Head) Boat Carpenter Age 24 Born Wick Parish
Ann Jack (Wife) 27 "
Jane Alexina Jack (Dau) 7 months "
Angus McKenzie (Stepson) Scholar 7 "
William Mckenzie(stepson) Scholar 5 "
William Sutherland (Bro in Law) Apprentice Baker 16 "
Mary Ann Cormack (Cousin) Scholar 17 "

If this is the right William maybe he took the surname of Jack later on.

susan.leith
04-Jan-11, 21:47
Ann Sutherland remarried after William's death in 1876 (see Skifter's information) so any further information on Ann will be with the surname Jack. Ancestry has her re-marriage date as 23 Sep 1879, but this info isn't sourced, so can't say 100% that it's accurate. If you're on Ancestry, the info is in tree IJMOman Family Tree, user jimattwood. This tree has info on McKenzies too.

William McKenzie shows in 1891 census as a farm servant in Canisbay, and 1901 in Pulteneytown as distillery labourer.

Ann Jack with husband William and family in Keiss in 1891 and Broadhaven Wick in 1901.

Hope this helps, and you don't need to love me forever!!!!! To quote one of my dad's favourite phrases, if you're happy, I'm delighted.

brandy
04-Jan-11, 23:44
thank you guys for the info.. now im in another conundrum! mary taylor is down as mary swanson on the marriage licence.. does anyone have any details on this?
the reason i am asking.. my husbands mother was named after her.. she was her grandmother. and she was named Mary Taylor.
i thought.. ok.. as she was born illegitimate mum married later on and they changed names.. but.. ive talked to family members.. ie.. her grandchildren.. and they have no clue about the swanson bit.
in fact they had never even heard the name in association with their granny.. and the fact my MIL was named Mary Taylor Mackenzie for her granny seens strange that she would have been called a swanson.
i do know she was born mary taylor as ive seen the birth certificate.. but other than the name every thing else matches up.. so just wondering what the story is there.. and why no one knows about it.. hmmmm...

brandy
05-Jan-11, 00:08
wow, have just discovered via death certificate that William died from typhoid fever..
it was written in the notes as:
typhoid fever
15 days
Brain Congestion
3 days as certified by
_______ order ______ order
M.B. Cell

Mamie_2
10-Jan-11, 17:47
Could it be a second marriage so she might be known as Mary Swanson because she was previously married to a Swanson. Or it's just a mistake - they did happen even on marriage records where the participant should have provided the correct information lol.

Mamie

Mamie_2
10-Jan-11, 18:22
Ann's parents could be William Sutherland and Alexandrina Rugg, IGI entry member submission. Sometimes these are on ScotlandPeople but never made the INDEX/
Should look for a birth entry for 1854 on Scotlandspeople. If not Church of Scotland it won't be there since it's before 1855. Shoudl be able to confirm on the marriage certificate. I don't seem to be able to find a suitable family on Ancestry transcriptions of the census though.
Are your William's parents Angus and Jean?? IF so he was born c 1852 in Wick and the family lived at Hillhead in 1861.

Mamie

brandy
10-Jan-11, 19:25
williams parents that i know of.. his father was angus.. but not found his mother yet.. i have his death certificate so working from that.

brandy
10-Jan-11, 19:47
have looked on Scottish people but could find no birth record for William ... however i found to marriage records that are a bit strange!
one is
Angus Mackenzie -m- Janet Durham in thurso on 24/01/1851
the other is
Angus Mackenzie -m- Jessie Durham in wick on 14/02/1851
its awful close on dates and names to be a wee bit suspicious in my eyes.
so will have to try and do some more research... if anyone can find a birth record for william that would be ahuge help!
just wondering if Jean would be a nick name for Janet/Jessie?

brandy
10-Jan-11, 20:05
can anyone tell me what the mothers maiden name is? i cant quite make it out.. also, found christinas marriage cert. and has a dif mother down! so strange im gonna get to the bottom of this!

Skifter
10-Jan-11, 20:40
Think the surname is Wildridge. In the 1841 census there is a family named Wildridge living in Papigoe.
The head of the household is Christian Wildridge. It says her husband is away at sea. There is no mention of Mary in the household. But as Mary has called her daughter Christina (which is a version of Christian) it ties in with the Scottish naming pattern.

Skifter
10-Jan-11, 20:56
In the 1881 census at 44 Huddart Street there is a Mary Taylor (widow) aged 47 occupation keeps boarders also daughter Hellen aged 19 and grandaughter Mary Swanson aged 5.