PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Sky Lanterns

Mr_Me19
31-Dec-10, 01:29
Does anyone know where about I can find one of these in Caithness? I have been looking everywhere for them after hearing that they are available somewhere.

Thanks.

unicorn
31-Dec-10, 01:43
Thingies or wotsits or whatever it's called in the arcade in Thurso had them.

Mr_Me19
31-Dec-10, 02:13
....*facepalm*

That must have been about the only place I didn't check. I'll have a look in there first thing tomorrow. Thanks!

Metalattakk
31-Dec-10, 02:26
They're stupid, dangerous and hazardous to wildlife. I'd support a ban on their sale.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/sussex/hi/people_and_places/newsid_8828000/8828026.stm

Night Owl
31-Dec-10, 02:48
Temptations in Thurso.

Geo
31-Dec-10, 04:33
The Original Factory Shop in Wick has them. Thought about trying them but chickened out.

Given the possible danger to wildlife and livestock mentioned in the above article, surely they could be made of biodegradable materials that break down very quickly.

Gronnuck
31-Dec-10, 10:05
They're stupid, dangerous and hazardous to wildlife. I'd support a ban on their sale.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/sussex/hi/people_and_places/newsid_8828000/8828026.stm

I'll second that!

orkneycadian
31-Dec-10, 10:10
You could try asking Shetland Coastguard.

After 2 call outs here in Orkney on Christmas Day, thanks to Chinese lanterns, I am sure they can tell you all you want to know about them!

Tatbabe
31-Dec-10, 10:18

I agree, they shouldn't be sold at all.
I understand it's nice to see them but it's a waste of resources and dangerous as mentioned above.
But hey ... nobody seems to care about our environment, not to mention our planet ... very sad!

northener
31-Dec-10, 11:00
It's a pity, really.

I like chinese lanterns, but the consequences of a lantern landing in a field of arable or anywhere containing combustable materiel are too much of a risk to take IMO. Plus there's a lot of concern from farmers who end up baling the metal remains in animal feed.

When we were down in the Cotswolds during the Summer, we set off a load from my friends house. We got round to talking about the potential dangers surrounding them and came up with this list of dangerous places they could land:

Arable fields, hay fields, silage feilds, barns, any area with dry stored combustible materiel, thatched cottages (lots of those around there:eek:)....you get the picture.

We won't be doing it again.

philupmaboug
31-Dec-10, 11:01
Don't you need permission to launch these now? or at least to notify the authorities!

orkneycadian
31-Dec-10, 11:13
How would notifying the authorities stop one drifting into a dutch barn and setting fire to all the bales?

Personally, I would put these into the category of wilful fire raising.

Weegie Wonder
31-Dec-10, 11:16
If you are going to launch these, please, please, please phone The Coastguard to save an unnecessary call out for any or all of our local lifeboats

kas
31-Dec-10, 11:19
You could try asking Shetland Coastguard.

After 2 call outs here in Orkney on Christmas Day, thanks to Chinese lanterns, I am sure they can tell you all you want to know about them!

The Thurso Lifeboat Crew had to spend their Christmas evening 2009 out searching Thurso Bay because of these. If anyone does set them off near the sea could they please contact the coastguard in advance. Cheers

kas
31-Dec-10, 11:20
If you are going to launch these, please, please, please phone The Coastguard to save an unnecessary call out for any or all of our local lifeboats

I must have hit reply the same time as you but taken far longer to type. LOL

orkneycadian
31-Dec-10, 11:26

What happens if someone phones the coastguard to say they are setting these off, then shortly afterwards, someone sets off a distress flare genuinely needing help?

Feelings in Orkney remains strong about this, as a fatal accident inquiry is still in progress for someone who's distress flares took longer than anticipated to respond to, because, in the words of the coastguard, most flare sightings turn out to be false.

Geo
31-Dec-10, 11:29
So are the false flare sighting always Chinese lanterns or include fireworks, ships lights, shooting stars, prank calls etc?

orkneycadian
31-Dec-10, 11:40
Ships lights are unliekly to be the source of false reports, as one of the first things the coastguard do is contact all known shipping in the area. With AIS on all ships of >300 tonnage/12 PAX, this greatly simplifies getting touch with shipping in the area.

Shooting stars are outwith our control so we have to live with it, although again, I would be surprised if too many folk confuse them with a flare

Prank calls are also difficult to eradicate, until the birch is brought back in again! ;)

That leaves Chinese lanterns, and fireworks. Both things that can be controlled, and both which, from a distance, can readily be mistaken for a parachute flare.

silverlady
31-Dec-10, 11:46
My daughter got some for her birthday, but it said on pack, not to use within 5 miles of the sea or an airport! Also if you live outwith these limits, you still have to check with coastguard and airport. We just didn't bother driving inland and away from Wick airport....more trouble than worth I reckon!

sids
31-Dec-10, 12:01
There was a craze for similar miniature hot air balloons about 100 years ago and I think they were somehow banned.

Personally, I would put these into the category of wilful fire raising.

Even if they're not "illegal," starting a fire with one would be pretty seriously negligent. And "wilful negligence" can get people convicted of murder. Then there's civil liability (getting sued).

orkneycadian
31-Dec-10, 12:02
We just didn't bother driving inland and away from Wick airport....more trouble than worth I reckon!

Farmers more than 5 miles away from Wick Airport will be eternally grateful, I am sure!

orkneycadian
31-Dec-10, 20:46
Should be largely self regulating tonight! Anyone with a notion to set a Chinese lantern off into the sky, might as well take some fivers, soak them under the tap, shred them and then hang them on the nearest barbed wire fence. That is what will happen to any bits of paper set aloft in Orkney on a night like this anyway!

EDDIE
01-Jan-11, 09:43
My daughter got some for her birthday, but it said on pack, not to use within 5 miles of the sea or an airport! Also if you live outwith these limits, you still have to check with coastguard and airport. We just didn't bother driving inland and away from Wick airport....more trouble than worth I reckon!

If your going to let them off just be sensible about it let them go out to sea is the most sensible idea a lot better than letting them of in the land?
Just make sure you buy the chinese lanterns that are 100% biodegradable
Its not any more unsafe than letting a firework rocket go off

DeHaviLand
01-Jan-11, 11:39
If your going to let them off just be sensible about it let them go out to sea is the most sensible idea a lot better than letting them of in the land?
Just make sure you buy the chinese lanterns that are 100% biodegradable
Its not any more unsafe than letting a firework rocket go off

You just didnt bother reading any of this thread, did you?

EDDIE
01-Jan-11, 11:50
You just didnt bother reading any of this thread, did you?
I did and i did read the bit were it said above "said on pack, not to use within 5 miles of the sea or an airport!" but like most things in life you should apply common sense and be able work out were the safest area to use is going to be what advice comes on a label is reccommended guidline doesnt mean you have to obey it.
The way some people are going on about how unsafe a chinese lantern its the same as saying why not band planes from flying incase a plane malfunctions and crashes into someone why take chances you cant live your life like that or why sell ciggarettes to people when there bad for your health ciggarettes have killed more people than a chinese lattern i could go on and on i just think people are making a big deal over nothing.
Yes it would be a good idea to notify the coast guard and tell them an aproximate time your going to be letting one off but the sea is the most safest place to do it

Fisherbigin
01-Jan-11, 12:20
Go an bile yer hied ya lot o' numties,and take a grip o' yersels

Kevin Milkins
01-Jan-11, 12:47

The voice of the enlightned one.;)

lasher
01-Jan-11, 13:05
Well said!

Walter Ego
01-Jan-11, 13:10

I hear banjos.........

Kirdon
01-Jan-11, 14:07
I did and i did read the bit were it said above "said on pack, not to use within 5 miles of the sea or an airport!" but like most things in life you should apply common sense and be able work out were the safest area to use is going to be what advice comes on a label is reccommended guidline doesnt mean you have to obey it.
The way some people are going on about how unsafe a chinese lantern its the same as saying why not band planes from flying incase a plane malfunctions and crashes into someone why take chances you cant live your life like that or why sell ciggarettes to people when there bad for your health ciggarettes have killed more people than a chinese lattern i could go on and on i just think people are making a big deal over nothing.
Yes it would be a good idea to notify the coast guard and tell them an aproximate time your going to be letting one off but the sea is the most safest place to do it

yes, let common sense prevail, do we stop the RAF using signal flares? as they cause a most false calls to the RNLI.

crayola
01-Jan-11, 19:17
I set one off engraved with a love poem for Metalattakk last night.

Let me know when it arrives xxx

Metalattakk
01-Jan-11, 19:23
*Eeep!*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geHLdg_VNww

orkneycadian
03-Jan-11, 11:05
As posted in another thread, the alleged cost to Scotland in 2009 due to Chinese lanterns was £300,000, as a result of false call outs for lifeboats and helicopters. Thats an awful lot of our donations to RNLI being wasted on cheap entertainment!

EDDIE
03-Jan-11, 11:26
As posted in another thread, the alleged cost to Scotland in 2009 due to Chinese lanterns was £300,000, as a result of false call outs for lifeboats and helicopters. Thats an awful lot of our donations to RNLI being wasted on cheap entertainment!

Thats nothing compared to what smoking is costing the nhs 5 billion a year thats an awful lot of our nhs contrubutions getting wasted on smokers?
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/06/09/smoking-costs-nhs-5billion-a-year-115875-21425869/

orkneycadian
03-Jan-11, 11:37
Simples. Ban smoking and Chinese Lanterns then, and as a nation, we'd have a lot more money all round!

sids
03-Jan-11, 12:14
Simples. Ban smoking and Chinese Lanterns then, and as a nation, we'd have a lot more money all round!

Except when the wind is blowing towards Orkney. It's worth the money then.

Ricco
03-Jan-11, 14:27
While you're about it - lets have a ban on humans - they are the most dangerous thing to wildlife.

Ricco
20-Jan-13, 11:01
Hi, its me again. Been extremely busy. I would ban sky lanterns (pretty but dangerous), smoking (or maybe tax them to the hilt) and those dreadful outdoor heaters - you know, the ones that go on the patio. Why on Earth would any sane person try to warm up the planet?

Ricco
20-Jan-13, 11:05
While you're about it - lets have a ban on humans - they are the most dangerous thing to wildlife.

Very interesting - this post is not from me... I have only just returned to the Org at 10.00am this morning.

Torvaig
20-Jan-13, 12:33
The post you are referring to was made two years ago on the 3rd of Jan 2011........ maybe you have forgotten?

P.S. I agree with the sentiments in the post!

Flynn
20-Jan-13, 13:21
You can buy Chinese lanterns online: http://bit.ly/SlOM7h

Ricco
20-Jan-13, 16:55
Doh!! Thanks for pointing that out, Torvaig.

The post you are referring to was made two years ago on the 3rd of Jan 2011........ maybe you have forgotten?

P.S. I agree with the sentiments in the post!

telfordstar
22-Jan-13, 13:22
Blah Blah Blah Blah, that's all I see written on this org nowadays, cant have any fun but there's always a problem somewhere with it, I have used these lanterns with my kids and would and will do it again.

mi16
22-Jan-13, 14:01
Blah Blah Blah Blah, that's all I see written on this org nowadays, cant have any fun but there's always a problem somewhere with it, I have used these lanterns with my kids and would and will do it again.

Care to explain where and when you have used these lanterns, and was it strong enough to fly a whole kid away?

telfordstar
22-Jan-13, 14:11
Tbh for your catty comment I really cant be bothered to reply to the question.

mi16
22-Jan-13, 17:41
why reply then?

ducati
22-Jan-13, 20:30

Yeah to hell with everyone else, that's the spirit!

mi16
01-Jul-13, 16:23

Sorry to dig up an old thread but with the blaze in Smethwick which is currenly burning, causing £6,000,000 of damage and injuries to 11 fire fighters caused by a Chinese lantern I thought it was pertinant. Rather than starting a brand new thread.
These things should be banned full stop.

orkneycadian
01-Jul-13, 17:38
Oh stop being a killjoy MI16. Whats £6m worth of damage, 11 injured firefighters, and a load of peoples livelihoods, compared to the fun for setting fire to some paper and a candle and sending it skywards, completely out of control? Next, you'll be telling me that 10 year old kids, setting off skyrockets horizontally along the streets in the 2 weeks before and after bonfire night are posing a hazard to themselves and others, instead of just having some harmless fun. Us farmers just love the thought that a Chinese lantern could land on a stack of bales, ideally next to some buildings, setting fire to both. It brings an element of fun and challenge to the whole thing.