PDA

View Full Version : unable to boot up

zagor
30-Dec-10, 22:18
Hello peoples
Iam trying to boot my pc but after the acer screen with the options of delete for set up or f12 for boot menu I get a message stating
Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key.
Iam unable to pass this screen as pressing either f12 or delete does nothing.
It worked fine yesterday and I had ran avg and mallware bytes without any problems.
My pc is running Vista home premium with ie8.
Any idea's would be great

Niall Fernie
30-Dec-10, 23:39
Sounds like your hard drive has either died or is not set up in the bios.

First thing to try is to press delete for set up and look for hard drive settings to see if its there. It will probably be listed on the opening screen, although depending on your bios you may have to look through the options to find it.

If it is listed then it may be that the boot sector on your hard drive has become corrupt and you'll need to fix that with your windows installation disk.

There are probably many other ways to fix the boot sector if you dont have a windows disk (i.e. you have a recovery disk instead) and I'm sure one of the support forum regulars will have an idea.

dx100uk
31-Dec-10, 03:53
there will be an option to set the boot device
make sure its set to the hdd
and that you have no cd in the drawer

there is a universal boot disk you can download
and burn to a cd

pop that in the CD drive andboot from that and run the HDD recovery software for the make of drive you have..

if you are slightly techy
look on the bottom of the lappy for the HDD opening/cover [ie find out physically where it is]

hold that part to your ear and powerup the lappy

can you hear a machanical noise? ie that it IS spinning up?

dx

zagor
31-Dec-10, 11:42
thanks both for the help, I can get back onto the desktop, but alot of the settings have been changed or it appears turned off,
I am unable to connect to the internet, the sound no longer appears to work and the graphics have gone back to what looks like windows classic, I can still see the graphics card,etc but nothing appears to be work as it should.
DX100uk
Its a pc that I am using and the hard drive seems to be making all the usual noises no grinding/grating noises,, I have tried to do a system restore but this also fails to resolve the issue.
I have also tried to use my recovery disks, I created when I got the pc but these do nothing as I get an error on sytem repair advising that the disk in the drive is not for the version of vista I have.
In your post you mention a universal boot disk , can you recommend a link for this

dx100uk
01-Jan-11, 00:18
http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/

you have me puzzled here
you are saying you can get to the desktop but things dont work?

if you mean windows is booting how are you8 dong this?
are you getting there via safemode [F8]??

dx

zagor
04-Jan-11, 14:36
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.
I managed to get logged back on for some strange reason the boot up drive was replaced with the cd drive so it was getting mixed up and not loading correctly, I managed to get this changed but after getting to windows alot of the sources,different sections of windows had been disabled. After re enabling or activating these parts my pc has gone back to normal,everything seems to be working again,
Sorry for the confusion but thanks for the help

dx100uk
05-Jan-11, 00:22
blimey i got one right!

dx