PDA

View Full Version : Facebook

John Little
22-Dec-10, 16:44
On another thread a remark was made which seemed to play down something I am involved in because it has a Facebook site.

Yet it seems to me that Facebook is something which is opening up whole new ways of people forming communities of the web and even extending involvement in democracy. It focuses opinion and makes for initiatives.

It is something to be encouraged and embraced, rather than disparaged.

Certainly I am not the only one to think so.

http://www.facebook.com/TheBritishMonarchy

http://www.facebook.com/DonaldTrump

http://www.facebook.com/DavidCameron?v=wall

http://www.facebook.com/barackobama

To name but a few.

My wife does not do Facebook - and a number of my friends do not either. She does not like mobile phones either.

But it does seem to me that this is the 21st century and that I am not the only person to see it as a force for good.

Many other Facebookers out there? And how do they see it? Kid's playtime or social networking tool with a potential for many good uses?

Tugmistress
22-Dec-10, 16:46
I like it, i only started using it this year, i have a page for me, a page for the garage and a page for the weather lol

Venture
22-Dec-10, 17:04
I'm a fan too. It gives me the chance to catch up and "talk" with friends and family at home and abroad. I've also manged to find a few old friends that I haven't heard from for years.

Word of warning though if you are the parent of a teenager, never look at their facebook. You might be in for a shock at some of the posts and your eyes will be well and truly opened.[lol]

Kodiak
22-Dec-10, 17:09
I like it, i only started using it this year, i have a page for me, a page for the garage and a page for the weather lol

What is your FaceBook page for your Garage. I have looked and can only find five under Viking Motors and all are in America.

ShelleyCowie
22-Dec-10, 17:42
Everyone that knows me will know im a solid facebook fan!! [lol]

divanp75
22-Dec-10, 17:45
Yep facebooker here, use it to keep up with everyone i know and share photos with my family, part of whom are in Singapore

We also have a facebook for the soap (far north soap)

Diane

sandyr1
22-Dec-10, 17:54
I am the person that commented on Facebook, to which J.L. referred. Of course..... it was taken out of context........or in higher terms, it was not Disparaged.
FYI...I am also on Facebook and like other posters find it of benefit. A force for good!

Beat Bug
22-Dec-10, 17:59
Me too. Keeps me in touch with friends and family all over the world. And all at a time to suit me!

lindsaymcc
22-Dec-10, 18:08
facebook addict here!

ShelleyCowie
22-Dec-10, 18:12
facebook addict here!

Me 2!
Me 2!
Me 2!
Me 2!
Me 2!
Me 2!
Me 2!
Me 2!
Me 2!
Me 2!

lol

pretty green eyes
22-Dec-10, 19:09
Love facebook :) and i follow tugs weather page on there 2:)

shazzap
22-Dec-10, 19:41
I use FB. I think most who use the internet do.
But if you know different.

Fluff
22-Dec-10, 20:57
I do like having FB, I have got in touch with family I have not seen since I was knee high to a grasshopper! Downside is it is far too easy to spend a stupid amount of time doing nothing

Tugmistress
22-Dec-10, 21:00
What is your FaceBook page for your Garage. I have looked and can only find five under Viking Motors and all are in America.

Here ya go Kodiak, follow this link (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Viking-Motors-Thurso/144472522241209) :D

Kodiak
22-Dec-10, 21:08
I found you on FaceBook, thanks for the link :Razz

Saveman
22-Dec-10, 21:25
Facebook is HUUUUUUGGGGGGGEEEEEEE!

http://bit.ly/gA1KrO

gleeber
22-Dec-10, 22:02
Although Im a member on FB I rarely use it unless someone knocks on my door. Facebook's a fantastic outlet for emotions and thoughts that originally went nowhere but back inside our own heads. In fact the internet in general is an amazing outlet for what were once hidden emotions. That's probably why there's so much snarling about the most innocent of things, develops into a monumental stramash from time to time on the org. It takes a while for the power of this new medium to sink in.
It's good entertainment though. :)

ducati
22-Dec-10, 22:09
Bucking the trend, I'd rather poke my eyes out with a blunt stick. I can imagine it being a useful business tool but that rather ruins the point I should think. And there are plenty of other tools that do a similar job.

Probably just old I guess. :lol:

steeko
22-Dec-10, 22:42
If you enjoy making friends with people you know, but have no desire to speak to, or vice versa, but you know their "friendship" will boost your "friend" count so you dont feel like the sad and lonely person you really are, then facebook is superb. Or is that just me?

shazzap
22-Dec-10, 22:57
If you enjoy making friends with people you know, but have no desire to speak to, or vice versa, but you know their "friendship" will boost your "friend" count so you dont feel like the sad and lonely person you really are, then facebook is superb. Or is that just me?

That might be the case for some. But i only accept people who i know or have some connection to me.

welsh-witch
22-Dec-10, 23:22
im a big fan of facebook, my family and friends live all over the world, and we all use facebook just to keep in regular contact, with messages, photos and chat, makes me feel a lot closer to them, i love it :Razz:Razz:Razz

Blarney
23-Dec-10, 01:22
Bucking the trend, I'd rather poke my eyes out with a blunt stick. I can imagine it being a useful business tool but that rather ruins the point I should think. And there are plenty of other tools that do a similar job.

Probably just old I guess.
That must make two of us then. It's an intrusion of privacy when people post pictures of holidays, nights out etc. including those of folk whose permission has not been sought. I expect that some sort of legislation will be forthcoming soon to regulate the privacy factor.
It's great for rooting out inappropriate candidates for a post too so be warned that employers see what you're REALLY like and can judge you on your drunken shenanigans...........

If you enjoy making friends with people you know, but have no desire to speak to, or vice versa, but you know their "friendship" will boost your "friend" count so you dont feel like the sad and lonely person you really are, then facebook is superb. Or is that just me? Yes the sad geeks are usually the ones with the biggest 'friend' count!

im a big fan of facebook, my family and friends live all over the world, and we all use facebook just to keep in regular contact, with messages, photos and chat, makes me feel a lot closer to them, i love it :Razz:Razz:Razz.....errrr I thought that's what email, Skype etc. was for, so you could have private chats with your family and friends.

Torvaig
23-Dec-10, 03:25
I tried "facebook" for a few weeks and apart from looking at the photographs of friends and relations, I don't have a use for it. Yes I became "friends" with people I am friendly with anyway but I can't say I got to know them better or kept up with their lives any more than I do through email, telephone, text etc.

Neither do I want to know "what's on your mind" as I have plenty information and thoughts crowding my own!

Scary some of the information one could glean from it; a wonderful invention for marketing......and it works!

greener
23-Dec-10, 04:34
I go on it from time to time , think it great would not condone it.

orkneycadian
23-Dec-10, 13:03
That must make two of us then.

Yes the sad geeks are usually the ones with the biggest 'friend' count!

.....errrr I thought that's what email, Skype etc. was for, so you could have private chats with your family and friends.

Aww, Blarney's already done the multiquote I was planning when going through the thread....

I know some folk that use Facebook that say they are not friends with their friends. Just they were asked to be a friend so clicked OK. Seems pointless.

I have looked at some profiles on Facebook, but keeping in touch seems to be all about writing messages no more than about 10 words long? Heck, even texting is more communicative!

With free phone calls within the UK (Post Office phones), free calls worldwide (Skype), unlimited typed communication with attachments (e-mail) I don't really see what hole Facebook fills, apart from "Friend Collecting", and being a good way to jeopardise your privacy.

A few years ago it was Bebo. That seems to have fallen out of Favour. Guess Facebook will be the next to fall from grace!

SunnyChick
23-Dec-10, 15:13
:DAm on facebook too, and am a fan of many local businesses, charities and stuff. A good way to connect and keep folks up to date!

onecalledk
23-Dec-10, 15:22
hi, I am on facebook personally and my business also has a facebook page. I agree with a lot of the comments so far about intrusions of privacy so tend to limit the amount of personal information that I put on there.Photos are the same, privacy settings to high.

Facebook is a marketing tool that is being used more and more and is more than a social networking tool. A lot of people using facebook really need to work out what they are doing, have seen some scary profiles giving too much info and this is especially so with younger people. Please note that if you post a picture of your house and point to where you live in that house the WHOLE WORLD sees this unless you have privacy settings on.

Likewise with the adding of friends, if I dont know them they dont get added, too many out there pretending to be something they are not. Really concerned about the age of some children on facebook, there is an age restriction of 14 on facebook for a reason yet some parents allow younger children to have pages by inputting of an appropriate date of birth.

Used sensibly and with awareness facebook is great fun but can be used for far far more than most people realise ..

K

Leanne
23-Dec-10, 15:40
Love facebook :) and i follow tugs weather page on there 2:)

Ooo off to search!

I use FB as a way of sharing photos with friends and family. It's lovely to see people's updates and to share your own. I only have people I actually 'know' too...

I have 390 friends - guess I'm a geek. In fact I know I'm a geek - it is something I am actually proud of. Why do people use is in derigation?

pretty green eyes
23-Dec-10, 15:52
Ooo off to search!

I use FB as a way of sharing photos with friends and family. It's lovely to see people's updates and to share your own. I only have people I actually 'know' too...

I have 390 friends - guess I'm a geek. In fact I know I'm a geek - it is something I am actually proud of. Why do people use is in derigation?

Caithness weather :D im another proud geek :lol:

Vistravi
23-Dec-10, 16:08
I use facebook to keep in touch with friends and family who all live elsewhere. One very good friend in particular. She can't make it up often to see her little godson so facebook provides her with a great way of seeing how he's changing.
I agree with the problem of privacy but you just have to have very high privacy settings. Only a select group of people can see my photos.
But in some ways facebook is good for making aqquantaices with people in differetn countries. When i played farmville i accepted some people to help them out with neighbour counts. Now 5 of them have become somewhat like friends as we write to each other quite a bit. There is a lassie who lives in the states i "met" this way and now if we ever go to the states i'd defintly meet up with her.

orkneycadian
23-Dec-10, 18:31
I agree with the problem of privacy but you just have to have very high privacy settings. Only a select group of people can see my photos.

Me too - The ones on the email recipient list. [lol]

Still makes me wonder whats the advantage in posting information on what is effectively a public webpage, then having to tighten in the security so that the only ones that see it are Granny in New Zealand and uncle Bertie in Inverness!

I send a lot of photos by e-mail to various folk all over the world, and am glad that the security of sending them to a select email recipient list, whilst not perfect, is a lot better than posting them on a website and hoping I have the right level of security set up!

sandyr1
06-Jan-11, 18:32
Facebook
Warning here and I suppose all over, that there people pretending to be 'friends' who are conning people into doing 'Untoward' things, including money scams.
Seems people have tooooooo much info on their profiles.........and people accept 'friends' without really knowing them, or people assuming other's identities.
A Wee Wordie o' caution...................

spaceddaisy
06-Jan-11, 18:40
I like Facebook as it helps me to keep in touch with people I don't live close to. I'm a fair distance from my family and have friends all over the country, it's much easier to keep up to date with them using Facebook than it would be to individually call or text each and every one of them every couple of days or so.

Hoida
06-Jan-11, 19:25
I am another addicted to facebook. I use it for keeping in touch with family and friends who are scattered all over the country.

ShelleyCowie
06-Jan-11, 19:44
Got hacked today! :( Luckily....got it sorted within about 15 minutes!

Was sending a mail to a friend, went to click send and it said to log in to Facebook, so i entered all my details and for some reason it came up with alot of changed information. Tried to view it and i was logged out again. tried to log in but wouldnt work!

Got an email saying about a password change (wasnt me changing it) so immediately i clicked the link saying that it wasnt me that requested it.

After several attempts i then had my account suspended due to suspicious activity.

Eventually managed to get my account back, came up with a list of log-ins over 24h and one wasnt me, not within the UK actually. So bobs yer uncle...they got it.

Now all passwords to email and my facebook changed! phew.....

Thumper
06-Jan-11, 19:59
I use facebook and have a few friends,some are orgers as well as friends,some were added at their request but I then deleted them when they turned out not to be the kind of people I wanted posting on my page,or indeed I wanted to see their posts so I simply deleted them(shame its not so easy in real life at times lol) its a good way of keeping intouch and also sometimes can be useful,I was called away suddenly and didnt have any mobile coverage and everytime I did get coverage I had texts asking if I was ok,so I got my son to post on my page telling everyone where I was and what i was doing and not to worry,sabed a lot of hassle that way! x

billmoseley
06-Jan-11, 20:16
facebook is great fun as long as you use it properly and view it as a bit of fun and commuication. as is the whole internet

Tatbabe
06-Jan-11, 20:21
I also use it to stay in touch with friends that I cannot see as often as I would like due to distance.
So as far as this Facebook is ok.

Wouldn't use it for playing games as you have to add friends to achieve a game's goals. You'd end up with 100s of friends which actually aren't friends.

sandyr1
06-Jan-11, 21:05
[QUOTE=ShelleyCowie;805944]Got hacked today! :( Luckily....got it sorted within about 15 minutes!

Was sending a mail to a friend, went to click send and it said to log in to Facebook, so i entered all my details and for some reason it came up with alot of changed information. Tried to view it and i was logged out again. tried to log in but wouldnt work!

Got an email saying about a password change (wasnt me changing it) so immediately i clicked the link saying that it wasnt me that requested it.

Good example SC.....
A recent situation with a close friend here// Rec'd a call from his Credit Card Company asking him to check to see if he had his Credit Card in his possession. He did and after answering a few Q's he was told that his card was being used for several thousands on Dollars worth of transactions at a local shopping Centre~!
It had been cancelled by the card company after approx $4,500, and then later ascertained that the card had been duplicated at a gas station....simple proceess/ also goes on in the UK.
So the moral is....be careful with your personal info.....never let your credit card out of you sight. Mind you even then it can be copied......

dafi
06-Jan-11, 21:45
I have been on facebook for a while and it is a good crack!!

I have a page supporting my blog which is working realy well.

On the whole friends requests are treated catusiously and i only accept frends or frends of frends that can be accounted for. Its different on the orkneybirding page ofcourse. I dont ever accept apps that want to look at my private info tho as i regard them as just so meny fishing exercises and best avoided.

brandy
06-Jan-11, 21:58
i use facebook all the time.. most of my family is on there.. and any news from back home usually comes straight from facebook.. in fact i get very important msgs from back home.. for example my cousin msged me on facebook to call home asap as my mum was very ill and they had no way to call me at the time. she did it on her mobile and i knew within a few hours of her falling ill.. they were still at the hospital..
with the time dif. its a great way to communicate.. and share pics.. i get to see all the kids back home, and can send pics of the boys.
i have mine set to private.. so unless your on my list you do not get any info on me.

crashbandicoot1979
07-Jan-11, 10:42
I'm definitely in the minority here but I never use facebook (and I'm an avid net user!). I did try Bebo but I didn't like it and I did set up a facebook page but never once posted anything on it, and I have no desire to. I wouldn't condemn it because its clearly very popular, but its just not my thing. I don't really understand the point of it - ok its a good way of keeping touch with family/friends that live far away, and its useful as a marketing tool but other than that? Not that my life is mundane or anything but I just don't feel the need to share my every move with people, regardless of whether I know them in real life or not.

Each to their own, and all that

porshiepoo
07-Jan-11, 12:54
On another thread a remark was made which seemed to play down something I am involved in because it has a Facebook site.

Yet it seems to me that Facebook is something which is opening up whole new ways of people forming communities of the web and even extending involvement in democracy. It focuses opinion and makes for initiatives.

It is something to be encouraged and embraced, rather than disparaged.

Certainly I am not the only one to think so.

http://www.facebook.com/TheBritishMonarchy

http://www.facebook.com/DonaldTrump

http://www.facebook.com/DavidCameron?v=wall

http://www.facebook.com/barackobama

To name but a few.

My wife does not do Facebook - and a number of my friends do not either. She does not like mobile phones either.

But it does seem to me that this is the 21st century and that I am not the only person to see it as a force for good.

Many other Facebookers out there? And how do they see it? Kid's playtime or social networking tool with a potential for many good uses?

Facebook seems to be the way to go nowadays. I use it regularly as do my kids and in fact if there was something I needed to get out there FB would be a first port of call.

Take the save Lennox FB page for example. If it hadn't been for that I doubt Lennox would have got the publicity he needed and the help he needed and while he may not be free yet, there's a high chance he will be. Fingers crossed.