PDA

View Full Version : Mot

connieb19
16-Aug-06, 19:09
I heard today that there are no garages now, who do free MOT retests if you fail first time and for a retest it costs another £25. Is this true? Are all the garages now doing this? :(

gleeber
16-Aug-06, 19:17
The governemt are planning de regulating MOT prices so garages will be able to charge what they like. At the moment its £37.50 and if it fails itll cost you another £37.50. and if it fails again itll cost you another £37.50 and...........

footie chick
16-Aug-06, 19:26
Got MOT last week cost £44.00 and £20.00 for re-test:(

sam
16-Aug-06, 19:37
my M.O.T cost £44.00 and would of cost me another £20.00 if it had needed a re - test

willowbankbear
16-Aug-06, 19:48
Buy another car Connie

Billy Boy
16-Aug-06, 20:00
Buy another car Connie

lol i take it you have more money than sense:roll:

willowbankbear
16-Aug-06, 20:04
Well thats another matter entirely[lol] ;)

connieb19
16-Aug-06, 20:08
lol i take it you have more money than sense:roll:And that would be, erm about a fiver..lol :lol: Willowbankbear, do you suggest I buy a new car every year, once the MOT is due?

willowbankbear
16-Aug-06, 20:11
why not, spend yer secret lottery winnings,oops its no secret now!!!

connieb19
16-Aug-06, 20:17
I'm sure I saw in a recent Groat or Courier, somewhere that does free retests. Or did I imagine it? :( I don't even have a Groat lying about to look.

willowbankbear
16-Aug-06, 20:21
Sorry neither do I Connie:(

Billy Boy
16-Aug-06, 20:23
I'm sure I saw in a recent Groat or Courier, somewhere that does free retests. Or did I imagine it? :( I don't even have a Groat lying about to look.

nothing in this week's paper's lol

stekar
16-Aug-06, 20:47
Our car failed its first MOT last month! Because it stayed at the garage and they fixed the problem we didn't have to pay a re-test fee. But if it had left the premises it would have been another £44.00.

Billy Boy
16-Aug-06, 20:53
Our car failed its first MOT last month! Because it stayed at the garage and they fixed the problem we didn't have to pay a re-test fee. But if it had left the premises it would have been another £44.00.

the only thing then, they charge you £44 a hour to fix it, they have you by the short and curlies each way you turn[evil]

connieb19
16-Aug-06, 21:06
Our car failed its first MOT last month! Because it stayed at the garage and they fixed the problem we didn't have to pay a re-test fee. But if it had left the premises it would have been another £44.00.Willowbankbear was just joking about me winning the Lottery. :eek:

willowbankbear
16-Aug-06, 21:17
Was I........?:eek:

Spirit
16-Aug-06, 21:58
Cost me £44 for MOT. Car failed but they did the repairs for just short of £40 and gave me a free re-test.
If the garage who does the MOT does the repairs, it should be a free re-test. It's not like they have to spend another hour doing the test again. They just repaired what they told you was wrong in the MOT anyway.
When I was there I was reading some of the notices which says that a free MOT would be done if the vehicle did not leave the premises and was dependant on what area it failed.

Naefearjustbeer
16-Aug-06, 23:19
the only thing then, they charge you £44 a hour to fix it, they have you by the short and curlies each way you turn[evil]

If my garage tryed charging £44 an hour that I would be going elsewhere [evil] . Whats to stop you putting the car in for a pre mot check first if its ok get them to do the test. If it isnt take it away and fix it or get them to fix it and then do the test. My car before last I put in for a pre MOT check and when he listed the bits it needed I decided it would be better to put it to speedy skip and get it scrapped. They charged me £20 to give it a check over instead of £37.50 for a mot which it would of failed big time.

Naefearjustbeer
16-Aug-06, 23:26
Cost me £44 for MOT. Car failed but they did the repairs for just short of £40 and gave me a free re-test.
If the garage who does the MOT does the repairs, it should be a free re-test. It's not like they have to spend another hour doing the test again. They just repaired what they told you was wrong in the MOT anyway.
When I was there I was reading some of the notices which says that a free MOT would be done if the vehicle did not leave the premises and was dependant on what area it failed.

The mot tester showed me a list of things such as blown bulbs wiper blades etc that did not incur a retest fee. However most things incur a retest fee if you take the car away from the garage. I think the idea is to discourage you from driving your car away after a fail cert has been issued.