PDA

View Full Version : Oh dear....

northener
22-Dec-10, 09:19
Some people shouldn't be allowed out.......

ducati
22-Dec-10, 09:23
Ha took me ages to suss that! :lol:

annemarie482
22-Dec-10, 09:28
Ha took me ages to suss that! :lol:

still working on that one ducati lol

bmw drivers that use snow chains when there's hardly any snow?! :confused:lol:

northener
22-Dec-10, 09:30
still working on that one ducati lol

bmw drivers that use snow chains when there's hardly any snow?! :confused:lol:

How do snowchains work, Annemarie?;)

(edit) another clue: What problems do BMW's have in snow?

ducati
22-Dec-10, 09:36
And I've just realised it's not the same car. Bit relieved really, I thought 'someone' had been stalking her all over town ;)

annemarie482
22-Dec-10, 09:39
is it that they are on the wrong wheels?
being rear wheel drive? :lol:

northener
22-Dec-10, 09:42
is it that they are on the wrong wheels?
being rear wheel drive? :lol:

...................:cool:

lindsaymcc
22-Dec-10, 09:43
[lol][lol][lol] love it!

Even Chance
22-Dec-10, 09:56
Thats just pure class that is!!:lol:

mums angels
22-Dec-10, 11:50
LOL ... i would put them on my front wheels too my back ones have good grip but my front ones wont budge .. oppss

Kodiak
22-Dec-10, 11:55
I would put them on my front wheels as well.............but then my car is a front wheel drive :Razz

Green_not_greed
22-Dec-10, 13:07
What model of beemer is in the first photo? (ie the one with the snow chains?)

annemarie482
22-Dec-10, 13:10
What model of beemer is in the first photo? (ie the one with the snow chains?)

i could be wrong but i think it looks like the bmw X1

http://www.sacarfan.co.za/2009/07/full-details-of-the-new-bmw-x1/

Gronnuck
22-Dec-10, 13:18
Could it be that this beemer driver doesn't have a problem with traction (traction control) but feels the need for assistance with braking and/or steering control, :confused?

You'll never know unless you ask the driver,;).

Green_not_greed
22-Dec-10, 13:30
i could be wrong but i think it looks like the bmw X1

http://www.sacarfan.co.za/2009/07/full-details-of-the-new-bmw-x1/

Thanks. I've never seen one but thought it looked a bit X-series. Most of them are 4 wheel drive and so it won't make much difference what tyres have the chains.

FYI I did chuckle coming north on Saturday when a BMW M5 was severely struggling trying to get up the A9 at Dunbeath. The sitution wasn't really funny - but what made me chuckle was the amount of rubber being turned into black smoke from the rear tyres. The driver was obviously very frustrated indeed. Not good for other road users or his bank balance.

Managed to get from Thurso to Perth on friday then to Dundee and back home on saturday with no trouble at all. I don't know what all the fuss is about!

skaterboy
22-Dec-10, 13:50
They are both the same model of car, a 1 series and yes, the 1 series is rear wheel drive.

Fair point, the owner may be looking for a bit more traction from the front end but for what reason, I do not know.

I suspect that this has been a bit of an "oversight".

northener
22-Dec-10, 14:30
I've got the first one a a Series 1 (rwd), the second one can't be the X1 4x4 as it's on an 08 plate.

Vistravi
22-Dec-10, 15:20
It does make sense to me why the car in the first picture put the snow chains on the front. Rear tyres have the power but you're going nowhere if the front ones keep slipping. We've had two rear wheel heavy vehicles twice in a row the last two winters so i can see the sense in it.

Ricco
22-Dec-10, 15:25
The ones on the first piccie look like those snow socks for cars. Don't know whether to get a pair of those or some of the winter tyres with high silicone content.

northener
22-Dec-10, 15:56
It does make sense to me why the car in the first picture put the snow chains on the front. Rear tyres have the power but you're going nowhere if the front ones keep slipping. We've had two rear wheel heavy vehicles twice in a row the last two winters so i can see the sense in it.

Front wheels control direction, but in rear wheel drive cars it is the rear wheels that cause the problem in snow, the car slews about (fishtailing) when it loses grip. I've seen a lot of Beemers struggling (and one Lexus getting it spectacularly wrong) because they couldn't get traction/drive. Lack of grip on front wheels gives you understeer...which isn't a problem as your car isn't going anywhere if your rear wheels are just spinning uselessly.

RWD bigger vehicles don't seem to suffer much - such as laden Tranny vans etc - more weight over the drive wheels.

Chains or socks should go on driving wheels primarily.

(Edit): Just lifted this off the AutoSock website:

Q5: Is there anything else I should know about?
A5: Nothing to be concerned about, although certain users may wish to note that

you can use them with your vehicle's electronic aids left on, unlike snow chains which should NOT be used with traction control and anti skid devices (e.g. ESP / ASC+T / ASR / ABS).
they are breathable so there's no adverse effect on brake cooling.
it's recommended that users of rear wheel drive cars should also fit a set to the front wheels to provide better directional stability, especially under braking.
So, in other words, rear wheels (drive) first, then preferably front. Not just front......:Razz

http://www.autosock.co.uk/

northener
22-Dec-10, 15:57
Ricco - the snow socks appear to be getting a lot of good press.

I suppose it's down to how much mileage you intend to do in the white stuff.

Dadie
22-Dec-10, 16:50
I am tempted to get socks for our car...after getting a wee bit stuck at my parents house last night!
Finally got out with a bit of "help" from my mum....
She was telling me where I should be planting the car...but it didnt want to go .....
What do you reckon one pair or 2?
And I suppose I had better read all the small print on the insurance documents before commiting to buy them!
Well I have now found out snow socks dont affect my insurance....but putting on winter tyres would put my insurance price up...:eek:

orkneycadian
23-Dec-10, 12:52
Probably from the same family as folk who put wings on the back of front wheel drive cars! :roll:

http://www.ridelust.com/wp-content/uploads/CivicWing.jpg