PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for New York and Barcelona?

mike.mckenzie
15-Aug-06, 15:09
Hello, my hols are nigh again and the international orgers have given me some great recommendations of places to go in the past (when I went Berlin particularly!)

So....any recommendations of places to go in New York and Barcelona then?

Apart from the obvious NY ones. Something a bit different there, like insider knowledge.

canuck
15-Aug-06, 15:22
Every square inch of New York City is worth exploring.
Macy's is a must, but Bloomingdales you can avoid.
Central Park is a haven.
The tour bus trips are excellent. They will give you an overview and you can go back to places to explore in greater depth.
The museum of Natural History is good. The Darwin exhibit may still be on. It is pricey, but well done. The Metropolitan Museum of Art is also a treasure.
You must take in a Broadway Show. We saw "Rent" in May. It was fabulous.

Good luck.

unicorn
15-Aug-06, 15:57
try here for ideas and inside info http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/index.php

willowbankbear
15-Aug-06, 16:14
Mulberry Street in Little Italy worth a look in NYC & Barcelona`s Camp Nou Stadium is 1 of the best in the world. Theres plenty other things to do or see there too, have ye got room for 1 more?;)

Rheghead
15-Aug-06, 16:44
So....any recommendations of places to go in New York.

Go and see the Yankees baseball.

Guggenheim museum

Empire state building is a must.

Any of the museums and galleries, especially the MOMA.

Central park is nice

The free ferry to Statten island is well worth the time as it gives the best views of the financial district.

An open top bus ride is great but the charismas of the guides are hit and miss.

Ground zero:~(

There is a monastry in the north manhattan that is very peaceful, it has a magnificent tapestry collection and it is great to get away from the hustle and bustle for a wee bit.

A boat ride around manhattan is excellent.

Go to a show, they are brilliant

The madame tussauds is very good

I could go on and on.:Razz

MGB1979
15-Aug-06, 17:44
There's a bar on 2nd Ave between 48th & 49th called the Manchester Pub, it was the best bar I was in (and I was in a few), cheap prices, lots of Ales and Spirits, excellent food, great crack and friendly staff.

DrSzin
15-Aug-06, 18:28
Greenwich Village in NYC is well worth a visit. There are lots of bars, cafes & restaurants in "the Village", and the whole area has a nice arty feel. Last time I was there, my mate took me to Grandpa's restaurant. This was owned by Al Lewis who played Grandpa in the Munsters and he used to wander around the restaurant and talk to his customers. Unfortunately, he wasn't there that night, and, even more unfortunately, he died earlier this year (http://www.theage.com.au/news/people/grandpa-munster-dies-aged-95/2006/02/05/1139074093350.html).

Rheghead is right about the Staten Island ferrry - it's a bargain. Actually, I didn't know it was free nowadays - it cost the princely sum of 50 cents in the early 90s. You get fabulous views of the south end of Manhattan, and the ferry passes Liberty Island so you get a good view of the Statue of Liberty too.

It's worth taking a drive down to Atlantic City, a sort of Las Vegas on the Jersey Coast.

Best of all was the top of the WTC, but no more. :(

nicnak
15-Aug-06, 19:08
Hi in Barcelona its a must to visit Las Ramblas its smack bang in the centre and is full of street artists and entertainment also from there you see fantastic architecture and out of this world designer shops!
The only thing I would say is do not take a bag and keep your money close to your heart as it wont be safe in your pockets! Also watch out for burger king there as it is a complete rip off but on the whole Barcelona is a fantastic city !
Ps the footie stadium is well worth a visit too!

rainbow
16-Aug-06, 08:26
WTC was the best -1/4mile up, obviously tragedy will prevent a further visit.
Recommend Ellis Island - get the ferry to Statue of Liberty, and after the Statue get off the ferry at Ellis Island - it was the place where immigrants came in to the USA. There is metal plagues outside with all the names of the immigrants - see if you can spot any relations? It was very interesting and educational.
Loved Times Square, Grand Central Station, Central Park (and Strawberry fields), Rockerfeller Centre, 5th Avenue, Broadway (saw Cabaret), Wall St etc - in fact the place is great. I felt so safe even on the metro. I have been twice and canna wait to go again - I have been to Barcelona too - although Barcelona is nice, NY beats it hands down.

Kingetter
16-Aug-06, 08:54
In N Y, would Madison Square Garden be on the 'yes' list? I was there as a kid but have no memories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madison_Square_Garden

MGB1979
16-Aug-06, 09:34
I'd go if the Knicks were playing, otherwise I don't think it's worth it.

foxygold1
16-Aug-06, 19:59
You'll love Barcelona, I was there a fortnight ago and it was fab! You should take the bus touristic which will take you to all the major sights, Parc Guell is definately worth stopping at and the marina is really beautiful. All in all you really can't go wrong whatever you do, there's so many things to see. Not far from la Pedrera there is a place called tapas tapas, you can't miss it, we were there most nights and the food was really good, and the atmosphere and banter even better.

rich
16-Aug-06, 20:08
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Transit_Museum

The New York Subway Museum is pretty good!