PDA

View Full Version : watch your home tv on your laptop abroad.

annemarie482
11-Dec-10, 01:14
a friend of mine once told me that their partner who works offshore abroad, can watch on his pc, the tv programes she is watching at home.
he has something he connects to the home tv and another thing he connects to his laptop so whatever is being watched at home is watchable on his laptop at the same time.
unfortunately i'm unable to find out more on this product.
does anyone know what it is?
or where i can buy it?
thanks.

jimbews
11-Dec-10, 15:30
a friend of mine once told me that their partner who works offshore abroad, can watch on his pc, the tv programes she is watching at home.
he has something he connects to the home tv and another thing he connects to his laptop so whatever is being watched at home is watchable on his laptop at the same time.
unfortunately i'm unable to find out more on this product.
does anyone know what it is?
or where i can buy it?
thanks.

Slingbox (or alternatives), see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slingbox

I have no personal experience of the Slingbox or any alternatives so do not take this as a recommendation. Also take due account of the amount of data you would be producing: if your broadband account at home has limits on the amount of data this could cause problems.

Other alternatives are to use services like BBC iPlayer. If your broadband is not in the UK you would need to get a UK proxy server.