PDA

View Full Version : Laptops

porshiepoo
07-Dec-10, 15:57
My daughter has a Siemens laptop that's not quite 2 years old but she's having problems with it.
It seems that it breaks every charger that is used with it ( her 3rd has just stopped working) and even the good chargers aren't charging it anymore.
It looks like it's something to do with where the charger connects into the laptop, I think the thing it connects to in the laptop may be at fault as it just doesn't seem to fit the way her sisters identical laptop does.
Don't know whether such a thing would cause the chargers to stop working though.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be or of anywhere up here that is capable of fixing such things?

pugoff
07-Dec-10, 16:01
i would say if the connection from laptop to charger is iffy, they it could well cause the charger to break, its either the chatger or laptop.

and as for fixing it, is it not still under and sort of warante/gaurantee??

if not, maybe Jet-Tech in Thurso could help??

mrlennie
07-Dec-10, 16:06
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=119469

Ed campbell other good recommendations for him on here somewhere
01955 621384

porshiepoo
07-Dec-10, 16:37
Thanks for both the replies.
Gonna have to get this fixed.

Pugoff, it could very well still be under warranty as they're not 2 years old till March but can I find any warranties or even receipts - nope.
Though we did get them from Argos and paid by debit card Hmmmmmmmm, think I'll have another look before phoning repair guy.

debs
08-Dec-10, 00:15
if you buy a new laptop and its only 3 months old are u entitled to a replacement or they allowed to take it away and repair it?????

Geo
08-Dec-10, 01:32
They are allowed to offer a repair at no cost to you and without adding significant inconvenience to you. Inconvenience could be for example saying the repair will take x amount of time, where x is excessive.

greener
08-Dec-10, 01:37
Is this the right place for this ?????????

_Ju_
08-Dec-10, 09:03
Is this the right place for this ?????????

Does it matter|????????????????

upolian
08-Dec-10, 10:45
Does it matter|????????????????

It usually does yeah...

squidge
08-Dec-10, 11:09
My son has had his laptop 5 weeks, his dad bought it for him from tesco. The power adapter no longer clicks into the hole on the side. It just fell out. I had to phone to arrange a repair. I was told that ups would pick it up, toshiba would then phone with a quote because it was unlikely to be a manufacturing fault as hes had it 5 weeks so it wont be under warranty. I was then told that I could accept the quote and they would fix it and send it back or I could just get it sent back. But if I didn't accept their quote it would cost me £78.50 to have it sent back. They would not tell me anything about how much it would cost for the repair and smart mouthed me when I asked why I could not just take it back and get a refund. I don't know what to do about it now.

Bobinovich
08-Dec-10, 11:48
5 WEEKS! Take it back to Tesco & get a refund! Any warranty is likely to be a MINIMUM of 1 year so tell them to fix it under warranty or you'll be going straight to Trading Standards. Take no bull!!!

scorrie
08-Dec-10, 18:02
My son has had his laptop 5 weeks, his dad bought it for him from tesco. The power adapter no longer clicks into the hole on the side. It just fell out. I had to phone to arrange a repair. I was told that ups would pick it up, toshiba would then phone with a quote because it was unlikely to be a manufacturing fault as hes had it 5 weeks so it wont be under warranty. I was then told that I could accept the quote and they would fix it and send it back or I could just get it sent back. But if I didn't accept their quote it would cost me £78.50 to have it sent back. They would not tell me anything about how much it would cost for the repair and smart mouthed me when I asked why I could not just take it back and get a refund. I don't know what to do about it now.

My Brother in Law bought a Canon printer/scanner from Tesco (Wick) recently and the colour ink cartridge was faulty. He wanted to just buy a new cartridge but I persuaded him to let me take the whole package back to Tesco. Once I explained the problem, the lassie on the service counter swapped the whole package for a new one without any problem.

Geo
08-Dec-10, 18:26

Tesco is responsible for the repair. The laptop will have a warranty for a minimum of 12 months with the retailer. The Sale of Goods Act says that if an item develops a fault within the first six months it is assumed in law that it is a manufacturing fault. You could mention that to Toshiba however the law aapplies to the retailer not the manufacturer. If they won't budge you could contact Tesco about it. They might speak to Toshiba for you and arrange a warranty repair.

torisdale
08-Dec-10, 18:37
All experienced with technical faults I've had with tesco have always ended up well, they aether give a cash refund or replace the item every time.

Would recommended looking at the receipt and phoning the helpline explaining the problem and they should give you a code for a refund/replacement.

squidge
08-Dec-10, 23:12
I think I was just tired. Ex hubby is going to send me the receipt and I'll take it back.

dx100uk
09-Dec-10, 01:13
just to be clear

its nothing to do with any warranty,

under SOGA any product must last a 'resonable time'

Obv this varies upon what it is.
but typically say a laptop should be 3ish years

and always the point of sale you return it too.

repairs should be free and if they get you to have an independent inspection done
typically to rule out its not wear'n'tear, you get that fee back too

se the consumer direct website or the consumeractiongroup for more

dx

dx