PDA

View Full Version : Schools Closures 6th Dec.

Venture
06-Dec-10, 08:30
Wick High School is OPEN to staff and town pupils ONLY. No pupils from the country should travel to school today.

lindsaymcc
06-Dec-10, 08:32
Miller Academy and 3 Bears Nursery is open!

chaz
06-Dec-10, 08:35
Thurso high open,transport on main routes only

chaz
06-Dec-10, 08:59
watten primary closed

floyed
06-Dec-10, 09:11
anyone know if the south school is closed?? they still have fridays message!

Venture
06-Dec-10, 09:16
South hasn't been mentioned on MFR. Pultenytown Academy and Nursery are both OPEN.

rich62_uk
06-Dec-10, 09:20
http://www.schoolclosures.highlandschools.org.uk/

Its working today...;)

floyed
06-Dec-10, 09:21
thanks venture did have a look on mfr website couldn't see south. normally they have there phone updated at 7.30 but nothing yet.

annemarie482
06-Dec-10, 09:27
http://www.schoolclosures.highlandschools.org.uk/

Its working today...;)

i seen it wasn't on so thought i'd add keiss primary school and nursery are closed also.

floyed
06-Dec-10, 09:33
south school is closed

black16i
06-Dec-10, 09:42
Hi

The Blackstairs playgroup in Wick is closed today

thanks

Wick66
06-Dec-10, 12:17
Just heard that Wick High will close at 11:30.

DocStone
06-Dec-10, 12:24
Just heard that Wick High will close at 11:30.

Any confirmation on this?

DocStone
06-Dec-10, 12:29
Just off the phone to Wick High School - They don't know if the school is closing or not. Unbelievable.

molly
06-Dec-10, 12:39
Just received call to say pennyland closing and pick up children as soon as possible

Mount Pleasant is closing too. My husband heard this at his work over the tannoy

DocStone
06-Dec-10, 12:46
Wick High School is closed. My son just phoned me to say were sent home at break time, about 5 minutes after I phoned. A complete joke.

lindsaymcc
06-Dec-10, 13:01
apparently Mount Pleasant and Pennyland now closed....... waiting to see about Miller....

Katy
06-Dec-10, 13:14
My wee girl is off not well today but a friend text to say you can pick kids up from Miller x

Brodar
06-Dec-10, 13:26
Mount Pleasant is closed and High school closing at 12.45pm

Venture
06-Dec-10, 13:31
I'm sorry but I find it absolutely ridiculous that children are even at school today. The weather is much worse than last week, there is far more snow and the forecast is for more. Why can't they just make a decision based on what has been forecast. The hassle and stress for parents who are now at work with children coming home at all different times must be horrendous. [disgust]

lindsaymcc
06-Dec-10, 13:33
Still not heard anything from Miller...... if they want to keep my girls, they can!!!

phil1958
06-Dec-10, 13:35
wick high school now close also thurso collage closed now...

unicorn
06-Dec-10, 13:39
How do parents at work know their kids are going home from high school I have not had a group call or anything.

lynne duncan
06-Dec-10, 13:39
venture
i'll second your last statement the conditions today are far worse than last week, driving to pick the kids up from the high school was scary and i only stay in broadhaven. am just going to phone and see if the primary school is going to close as the weather is getting worse here and there is more forecasted

brandy
06-Dec-10, 13:42
i kept ben home today since south school was closed.. even though academy and ceyac were open. he would not have understood why he was going and sam wasnt.. we had it in reverse last week..academy open and south closed and he freaked... took a while to calm him down. so we have now put up the tree and had a christmas morning! very festive with all the snow! bless him ben is now calling the living room the christmas room!

unicorn
06-Dec-10, 13:43
Gee they must be reading this I just got a txt :lol: 2 minutes before school closes

Elenna
06-Dec-10, 13:53
After phoning and nobody even answering, my son will be on the bus from Wick to Thurso College now for his afternoon classes, only to arrive to find it closed, and then have to get straight home again! Grrrr....

mums angels
06-Dec-10, 13:56
Gee they must be reading this I just got a txt :lol: 2 minutes before school closes

I got a text from my daugter at the back off 11 saying they were going to be shutting so phoned school to confirm but like you only got the groupcall text 2 mins before it shut .. last week i didnt get the Groupcall text until after they shut :S

When i spoke to Miller around 12 they said they were still open but parents could collect if they wished to but have since heard they are closing officially so still not sure about that but my son is home !

lindsaymcc
06-Dec-10, 13:58
Still not heard from Miller...... its lunchtime for them now, so wondering if we will get a call to pick them up after lunch?!

lindsaymcc
06-Dec-10, 14:02
Called Miller....

They are staying open! Normal collection at 2.45pm and 3.15pm.

WICKER10
06-Dec-10, 14:06
I'm sorry but I find it absolutely ridiculous that children are even at school today. The weather is much worse than last week, there is far more snow and the forecast is for more. Why can't they just make a decision based on what has been forecast. The hassle and stress for parents who are now at work with children coming home at all different times must be horrendous. [disgust]

Well said and very True ,it is a joke High School Closed yet Pulteneytown going to be kept open .
Pulteneytown practising for Xmas show according to Headteacher in my view Health and Safety of Children comes first school should be closed

Vistravi
06-Dec-10, 14:09
Now i don't get how the schools need to close!

I remember going to school in snow drifts up to my knees and the school stayed open all day :eek: The next day however it was shut due to the heating not working.

It's frustrating for parents when the schools closes as they have to find childcare arrangements or have to leave work But that is not the fact i am disputing here.

I am disputing the fact that when we get a bit of snow which is perfectly walkable for town pupils that the schools shut. I think if most of the teachers can't get in or the heating isn't working then fair dos! But not just because of the snow for town pupils. It takes a little longer to walk home but thats it.

Have we as a society gone too soft? The snow is no where near as bad as it used to be when i was younger.

Make the town kids wear wellies or boots, sensible clothes, hat, scarf and gloves and get them to walk. Does nobody harm to walk in snow if you're able bodied.

I think its ridiculous that the kids get of when its snow but have to go to school when its a massive ice sheet all over. When its ice is when i personally think its dangerous.

lindsaymcc
06-Dec-10, 14:12
Now i don't get how the schools need to close!

I remember going to school in snow drifts up to my knees and the school stayed open all day :eek: The next day however it was shut due to the heating not working.

It's frustrating for parents when the schools closes as they have to find childcare arrangements or have to leave work But that is not the fact i am disputing here.

I am disputing the fact that when we get a bit of snow which is perfectly walkable for town pupils that the schools shut. I think if most of the teachers can't get in or the heating isn't working then fair dos! But not just because of the snow for town pupils. It takes a little longer to walk home but thats it.

Have we as a society gone too soft? The snow is no where near as bad as it used to be when i was younger.

Make the town kids wear wellies or boots, sensible clothes, hat, scarf and gloves and get them to walk. Does nobody harm to walk in snow if you're able bodied.

Totally agree with every word! We wrapped up well this morning, wellies, waterproof trousers and jackets, hats scarfs and gloves and off we went. Even my just 3yr old walked it in his all in one suit. Really proud of Miller Academy for staying open today when all the other schools in the town have closed.

ShelleyCowie
06-Dec-10, 14:29
Was kinda annoyed to hear Penyland closed, why? I would say it was worse last week.......but....i ventured out myself and was nearly on my rear end so many times! :eek:

I take it the snow is worse in wick than thurso!? Cos its barely passed my ankles here. :confused

Scarybiscuits03
06-Dec-10, 15:46
Was kinda annoyed to hear Penyland closed, why? I would say it was worse last week.......but....i ventured out myself and was nearly on my rear end so many times! :eek:

I take it the snow is worse in wick than thurso!? Cos its barely passed my ankles here. :confused

I think maybe they consider the people that have to drive to get to school. A number of folk live a distance away from the school and have no option but to get in their car and I have to say, the roads were much worse today compared to last week!

ShelleyCowie
06-Dec-10, 17:19
I think maybe they consider the people that have to drive to get to school. A number of folk live a distance away from the school and have no option but to get in their car and I have to say, the roads were much worse today compared to last week!

ahh right ok! I dont drive so i cant really compliment on how bad they are to drive on.

So what are the chances of the school being open tomorrow if the weather is exactly the same? I know quite a few parents who are having to struggle with buggies through the snow to get their kids when they choose to close. :confused