PDA

View Full Version : Council Refuse Staff

fordfocus66
30-Nov-10, 14:27
Surprised today to see the lorry that lifts the Brown Garden bins out as there does not seem to be much need for it in this weather seeing as the staff on it were finished and away home by 11.00 hrs this morning.
They get paid Eight hours by the council but can go home when the round is finished.
This is a waste of taxpayers money it would be more sence to get them to do other council Tec services work until there paid hours are at a end eg.Clear the paths of snow.

ShelleyCowie
30-Nov-10, 14:33
Eh what? :confused These guys work in every kind of conditions, if they are done by 11am then thats fine. I dont mind our tax money going to these men, if it wasnt for them we would be stuck with the bin rubbish!

If you have a problem, speak to the council. Personally i have no problem with them finishing early and getting paid for it. :D

unicorn
30-Nov-10, 14:42
I think this is a case of sour grapes..... It certainly looks like it.

GLENELG
30-Nov-10, 14:46
Surprised today to see the lorry that lifts the Brown Garden bins out as there does not seem to be much need for it in this weather seeing as the staff on it were finished and away home by 11.00 hrs this morning.
They get paid Eight hours by the council but can go home when the round is finished.
This is a waste of taxpayers money it would be more sence to get them to do other council Tec services work until there paid hours are at a end eg.Clear the paths of snow.
And i fully agree with you there well said.[lol]

weeksider
30-Nov-10, 14:52
[lol] From Tomorrow 1st of December Job & Knock is done now for bin men ,have to work to 4 pm now.:(
Bosses in yellow vans will still do what they do

tonkatojo
30-Nov-10, 14:59
[lol] From Tomorrow 1st of December Job & Knock is done now for bin men ,have to work to 4 pm now.:(
Bosses in yellow vans will still do what they do

Perhaps you will now have the time to put the bins on the side of the road instead of blocking entrances on side roads, I do not mean you personally.

Gronnuck
30-Nov-10, 15:03

At least they turned up for work. Maybe they could double up as teachers and keep the schools open,:confused;)

Dadie
30-Nov-10, 15:09
My binmen are great!
They will even pull the bin up my path for me and will have a blether with the kids (usually meet them doing the bins as Im doing the walk to nursery)
I know not all are as good but I dont think they all need to be slated!
The recycling bin lot are not as nice too even wave at the kids....but do their job and I have no compaints about the service I get!

billmoseley
30-Nov-10, 16:24
leave the bin men alone they do a great job in all weathers ours out west seem to work all the time including weekends if needed.

Walter Ego
30-Nov-10, 16:27

And the other way is that they spin out work on the bins to last a full working day. Brilliant thinking.

They do a crappy, stinking job in all weathers. Work like that should be a contract to do job and finish, that's how it's worked well for years.

Of course I'm sure you have a wealth of experience in working outdoors in rubbish (pun intended) conditions.[disgust]

bekisman
30-Nov-10, 16:36
See 'our' bin men are not so well paid as elsewhere 'Recent Bin Men Salary Information': http://www.mysalary.co.uk/average-salary/Bin_Man_4360 (http://www.mysalary.co.uk/average-salary/Bin_Man_4360)

Corrie 3
30-Nov-10, 17:37
At least they turned up for work. Maybe they could double up as teachers and keep the schools open,:confused;)
And there lies the difference...Bin Men dont get paid if they decide to have a day at home when it snows unlike Teachers who still get their pay.

Perhaps they should do a job swap sometime.!!!

C3...;)

onecalledk
30-Nov-10, 17:44
in some parts of the country refuse collections have been suspended and staff moved from refuse collecting to driving lorries to grit the roads through the night.

Who is to say that said bin people had not been up half the night gritting then doing bin round THEN going home at 11am.

DOnt always assume that what you are seeing is the full story.

We are experiencing EXTREME weather (well weather that used to happen years ago then went away), therefore we must pull together. Personally am amazed there are any collections and I wouldnt complain if there werent. At the end of the day the SAFETY of everyone who ventures out in this weather is to be considered before anything else.

Having almost been stranded in Huntly at the weekend I was totally humbled by help that my friend and I got from the locals. From taxi drivers to people in shops they couldnt have been nicer, checking train timetables, getting info etc. Its nice to see that in some places people are HELPING one another and hey I wasnt local (well not to huntly) ;)

A little compassion and a kind word goes a VERY long way .....

K

_Ju_
30-Nov-10, 18:51

The problem of schools shutting is not due to the teachers "wanting a day off". Not only do they need to convey themselves safely to school, but, more importantly, every measure has to be taken to make sure that the children arrive at school safely and arrive at home safely. The weather can turn very quickly.
I wouldn't want to be either a bin person, who has a difficult and unpleasant job in the best circumstances and weather, or a teacher.

fordfocus66
30-Nov-10, 19:30
[quote=Walter Ego;792535]And the other way is that they spin out work on the bins to last a full working day. Brilliant thinking.

Do not think they will be able to spin it out as you state because the supervisors in the yellow vans know-
1-How long it takes to do the round now
2-Trackers are getting fitted to the lorries according to the man in the yellow van.
At the end of the day if they are contracted to work eight hours it should be eight hours work they do not the two or three hours some are doing i should add that is is Not the men who empty the House Bins that were kicking the bottom out of it but The Crews on the RECYCLING Lorries.
Perhaps now Highland Council will put these men to work on other jobs seeing as they are going to have so much spare time ,perhaps the streets will get sweep and litter picked up,paths gritted etc etc,Tec services cover a large amount of jobs

Leanne
30-Nov-10, 19:35
And there lies the difference...Bin Men dont get paid if they decide to have a day at home when it snows unlike Teachers who still get their pay.

Perhaps they should do a job swap sometime.!!!

C3...;)

Looks to me from that average pay link that binmen actually get paid more than teachers...

Pouleriscaig
30-Nov-10, 20:08
I just want to say thanks to the binmen for turning out and working outdoors in awful weather. Well done!

weeksider
30-Nov-10, 23:42
i see the trackers are to fitted to lorries /vans then there will be no need for the yellow can drivers running here there and everywhere checking up on staff or doing other jobs nor equired fo them do but for themselves
Cut backs needed in management office/side not for the face workers like ususally if any cutbacks happen.

Good Luck bin men tommorrow on runs locally
take Flask /piece and have a toilet brakes on run m\aybe fag brakes like office staff do to

Bazeye
01-Dec-10, 00:05

Get a life.

Aaldtimer
01-Dec-10, 04:02
[quote=Walter Ego;792535]And the other way is that they spin out work on the bins to last a full working day. Brilliant thinking.

Do not think they will be able to spin it out as you state because the supervisors in the yellow vans know-
1-How long it takes to do the round now
2-Trackers are getting fitted to the lorries according to the man in the yellow van.

Big brother is watching...[disgust]
What's the Unions saying to this?:confused

Corrie 3
01-Dec-10, 12:41
And while we are at it, why dont we get the Stay at Home Teachers clearing snow and ice instead of staying warm in front of the fire watching daytime TV?......After all, like the binmen, they get paid for non worked hours as well.

C3....;)

Andrew
01-Dec-10, 13:26
getting back to the original topic and not the playground stuff, i was wondering if it would be more benefit now that grass cutting etc is over if the brown bins (for those who have them) could be used for papers / cans etc.

This would help stop the loss of blue boxes / lids and the collection could go to monthly - would be fine for winter months. Then in the spring the system could revert back? Just an idea

lindsaymcc
01-Dec-10, 13:38
Good idea there Andrew.

What I would like to see is a more varied recycling scheme. In England, we had 3 wheelie bins.

Grey one for normal household rubbish, emptied fortnightly.

Blue one for paper/card/plastic/tins emptied fortnightly.

Brown one for garden waste, pet bedding, food waste emptied fortnightly.

The brown and blue one week, grey the next.

Because so much more "household waste" was being recycled and food waste could go in the brown bins, fortnightly collections worked well.

WICKER10
01-Dec-10, 13:44
On the Highland Council website it said that as from April 2011 all householders in Caithness are to get another Bin to do away with the blue boxes as the collections will go on to a fortnightly cycle

crashbandicoot1979
01-Dec-10, 14:31
On the Highland Council website it said that as from April 2011 all householders in Caithness are to get another Bin to do away with the blue boxes as the collections will go on to a fortnightly cycle

Yeah they are getting blue bins for cans, paper, card and plastic bottles next year - same as people in the country have just now.

d.polson
01-Dec-10, 19:24
Hi all, writing from snowy Glasgow, we may have different service rules from you ? but our leaflet on use says the service is suspended from mid November until the end of January as not too many people will be cutting the grass etc. ??

although I have lived in Glasgow most of my life I only found out this year with the help of Caithness.Org. that my ancestral home is Badereiskie near Lybster so I sort of feel like a local.
Best Wishes to All Don Polson..

sandyr1
01-Dec-10, 19:32
Hi all, writing from snowy Glasgow, we may have different service rules from you ? but our leaflet on use says the service is suspended from mid November until the end of January as not too many people will be cutting the grass etc. ??

although I have lived in Glasgow most of my life I only found out this year with the help of Caithness.Org. that my ancestral home is Badereiskie near Lybster so I sort of feel like a local.
Best Wishes to All Don Polson..

And the same to you Don/ Know John Polson rather well.
I was born 'Up the Smerlie Road'!.....sr

d.polson
01-Dec-10, 23:03
Hello Sandyr1,
It,s a while since we had a conversation, cast your mind back to June this year when I went looking for my reason to have been on holiday in Badereiskie in 1945. Results were I stayed with Bessie Polson and her husband James Cormack, Bessie,s brother Angus turned out to be my G,father, I had quite a few cups of tea with John & Chrisse, on a second trip in Sept. I
stayed at the Commercial Hotel where your name came into talks more than once.

All the best for now Don..