PDA

View Full Version : Why?

highland red
29-Nov-10, 19:19
Do we have to tolerate total idiots throwing snowballs at cars. I very nearly lost my driver side window today in Thurso as whatever they threw had something very hard that has left a (tiny) chip in the window, but we all know that when these things "go" through they really make a mess.

OK no harm done this time. But if I would have been in a position to have confront them: well let's just say I would have left them in absolutely no doubt as to my displeasure!!! and maybe been in the local papers.

THEN: I had to "eyeball" three or four teenagers as I turned right past The Halkirk Spar (these were NOT passive kids who were already throwing "snowballs" at the Indian restaurant's windows), and anyone else that they thought was game", just to let them know that I was on their case.

HOW THICK are these kids in Halkirk to think they can do this in such a small and very nice place?

Brain dead.

All the best to all the nice people out there.
HR

Mystical Potato Head
29-Nov-10, 19:34
Why? because most of us who moan about now did exactly the same when we were kids.
Did you never throw a snowball at a window or a moving car when you were a kid?
If you didnt then i hearby nominate you for a sainthood.

Serenity
29-Nov-10, 19:37
MPH I normally agree with you, but I didn't do this and neither did any of my friends. It is obviously dangerous and idiotic. Snowball fights between consenting parties only! And never at cars or windows. Oh and don't pick up gravel with the snow.

upolian
29-Nov-10, 19:39
I can understand your frustration,lack of respect and boredom is the problem i reckon,would have been a different story if your window smashed and you were picking glass out your face,little 'enter swear word'

Mystical Potato Head
29-Nov-10, 19:48
MPH I normally agree with you, but I didn't do this and neither did any of my friends. It is obviously dangerous and idiotic. Snowball fights between consenting parties only! And never at cars or windows. Oh and don't pick up gravel with the snow.

Ooops,a misspent youth on the STREET of Stromness.
I'm not condoning it but i'm sure most would admit to doing stupid things as kids that we wouldnt do as adults.

lindsaymcc
29-Nov-10, 19:48
I too never threw snowballs at moving or stationary vehicles or people without consent!

Surely it is just common sense and I blame the parents..... my kids are 3,5 and 6 and they know not to throw snowballs at people or cars or windows. My 6yr old was in the garden earlier practising her throwing by chucking them at the concrete shed!

highland red
29-Nov-10, 19:54
Why? because most of us who moan about now did exactly the same when we were kids.

Speak for yourself pal: If you did and you have (presumably) grown up, then you might at least have the integrity ( a big ask for you no doubt,considering your reply), to have seen how dangerous a practice this is.

Not really surprised at your response.:confused

golach
29-Nov-10, 20:12

We never threw snowballs at vehicles or windows in my young days, Why because we were terrified, if we got caught in those days, we got hammered.
I lived in a small country village where every child was known to every adult. If the adult did not catch you there and then and gave you a clout around the side of your head, along with the threat, your father will hear of this. That was a warning most kids were terrified of.
My Dad bless him always thumped twice...one for the crime and one for getting caught, MPH I was/am no saint!!! , but learnt very quickly that crime does not pay.

Liz
29-Nov-10, 20:19
I am all for bairns enjoying the snow which includes snowball fights but throwing snowballs at cars(could cause an accident!) and house windows is totally out of order!
Especially, when they also contain bits of stone.

This isn't classified as fun but vandalism![evil]

Mystical Potato Head
29-Nov-10, 20:35
Speak for yourself pal: If you did and you have (presumably) grown up, then you might at least have the integrity ( a big ask for you no doubt,considering your reply), to have seen how dangerous a practice this is.

Not really surprised at your response.:confused

Very sorry mister perfect. What can i presume about you,considering the reply?

Like i said,i'm not condoning it and yes its dangerous but some things dont appear stupid or dangerous when your a kid,just mischievous.

One thing pal.....dont question my honesty!!!

highland red
29-Nov-10, 20:40
I think I may just have my last post deleted by the mods. I really don't know if this is so, and if this has not happened apologies to them as It's never happened before. If this IS so, then I am really disappointed as I have never used any improper/ abusive/ racially inappropriate language.

If this does not appear on the forum, then I suppose I'll know. But never mind as I can remember the rough text of my post and will re-post it.

Mystical Potato Head
29-Nov-10, 20:56
We never threw snowballs at vehicles or windows in my young days, Why because we were terrified, if we got caught in those days, we got hammered.
I lived in a small country village where every child was known to every adult. If the adult did not catch you there and then and gave you a clout around the side of your head, along with the threat, your father will hear of this. That was a warning most kids were terrified of.
My Dad bless him always thumped twice...one for the crime and one for getting caught, MPH I was/am no saint!!! , but learnt very quickly that crime does not pay.

Yep,we got thumped too and i can relate to everything youve posted.Ah,the good old days...lol ,but when we were 9,10,11 or whatever in primary school, throwing a snowball at a car didnt seem like a crime.And they were just that, snowballs,not lumps of ice with stones in them but snowballs.

Luckily we didnt cause any accidents and didnt break any windows either probabaly because at that age you cant compress a snowball hard enough or throw it hard enough to break anything.

Ricco
29-Nov-10, 21:04

But is that any excuse to perpetuate the insanity, MPH?

RecQuery
29-Nov-10, 21:05
Okay first of all you don't justify bad behaviour by point to similar or worse behaviour. Secondly I never did any of this crap when I younger (mid-twenties now). I threw snowballs at other kids on the playground and not just someone random kid passing by either.

Oh bo-ho-ho we're so bored, no one understands us, maybe that's justification for us to act like idiots, bloody grow up kids.

Chrisf1961
29-Nov-10, 21:17
Happened to me today was sat in the house and then all of a sudden bang what the heck was that ,some teenagers thought it was funny to throw snowballs at the back windows from the ginnel/alleyway that runs down behind ther house.I went into thye garden and saw thyem doi8ng the same thing to every other house along the way ....pillocks

ShelleyCowie
29-Nov-10, 21:19
im all up for kiddies enjoying the snow. I dont mind snowballs being thrown at my window. But (there is always a but) today the fluffy white stuff has turned to ice and this is when i mind! Fluffy white stuff wont break my window (Unless your the hulk) but this ice will!

There are a bunch of little darlings going up and down the streets here pelting car windows and living room windows with force! :mad:

If my window gets hit hard or the bairns windows i will phone the police. I dont need broken windows right now!

No i was no saint when i was wee but i never threw snowballs at cars. Thats just idiotic!

highland red
29-Nov-10, 21:24
Very sorry mister perfect. What can i presume about you,considering the reply?

Like i said,i'm not condoning it and yes its dangerous but some things dont appear stupid or dangerous when your a kid,just mischievous.

One thing pal.....dont question my honesty!!!

Oooooooh: On the contrary PAL! I applaud your honesty, misplaced as it might be in admitting that you have been a very silly boy/girl in the past, with this subject.

I'm beginning to wonder if you, yourself might have been masquerading amongst some of these morons that indulge in these: "let's throw hand fulls of snow and assorted cr@p at passing vehicles" sessions?

No: that couldn't be the case. Because, given how far "off the mark" you are here, PAL.

You wouldn't have been capable of hitting either mine or anyone elses car.

P.S. I hearby accept your offer of beatification and would like to be nominated as "Saint Jude the 13th".............the patron Saint of lost causes, as you are surely one.;)

All the very best, but don't get your mittens/ gloves wet "boy" (fed up with pal now), as I wouldn't like to go to sleep tonight and think of you getting "thumped".

Mr Perfect.[disgust]

oldmarine
29-Nov-10, 22:23

golach: You learned the same way I learned during my youth. I learned the hard way the same as you.

pink
29-Nov-10, 22:41
Had loads of snow ball fights when i was younger had loads of fun too but never ever once did i throw at a car or window !
I have had it done to me in the car and got such a fright it near put me clean though a wall, kids an all . So would that have made the throw'ers happy to see the car crash ??
Im also not afraid to say that when snowballs went off my window i let my dogs out , 1 - i have never ever seen a group o kids run so fast and 2 ma poor dogs didna like it that they never got a pettin or a biscuit from them , and before anyone jumps on me for that well i have never had snow balls thown at my house since and i still have well behaved dogs that know how to run for treats .

Vistravi
29-Nov-10, 22:57
Had loads of snow ball fights when i was younger had loads of fun too but never ever once did i throw at a car or window !
I have had it done to me in the car and got such a fright it near put me clean though a wall, kids an all . So would that have made the throw'ers happy to see the car crash ??
Im also not afraid to say that when snowballs went off my window i let my dogs out , 1 - i have never ever seen a group o kids run so fast and 2 ma poor dogs didna like it that they never got a pettin or a biscuit from them , and before anyone jumps on me for that well i have never had snow balls thown at my house since and i still have well behaved dogs that know how to run for treats .

Ha ha bet the kids ran fast. [lol] Love your approach. Poor dogs no getting any treats from them ha ha lol.

pink
29-Nov-10, 23:26
All they wanted was a wee bit o luvin alas the lads ran away ! tis ok they got well rewarded when called home

squidge
29-Nov-10, 23:42
These are kids. Stop your car, give them a row, go see their parents, let your daft dogs give them a fright, get in touch with the school and tell them. DONT assume it is not your own little darlings. When kids get together particularly once you let them out of your sight, they can easily be stupid. Assuming these kids are the product of parents who don't discipline them is just silly. Your own kids might very well be throwing snowballs at cars too, no matter how you tell them. That's why the words "your dad and I are very disappointed in you" were invented. Nothing stings like disappointed does.

oldmarine
30-Nov-10, 02:41
These are kids. Stop your car, give them a row, go see their parents, let your daft dogs give them a fright, get in touch with the school and tell them. DONT assume it is not your own little darlings. When kids get together particularly once you let them out of your sight, they can easily be stupid. Assuming these kids are the product of parents who don't discipline them is just silly. Your own kids might very well be throwing snowballs at cars too, no matter how you tell them. That's why the words "your dad and I are very disappointed in you" were invented. Nothing stings like disappointed does.

squidge: I agree with your comments.

theone
30-Nov-10, 02:47

Wise, wise words.

I consider myself as a good guy, but looking back I did a lot of childish stuff.

It wasn't that I was immune from parental punishment, I wasn't, but the "thrill of the chase" was a Buzz.

Luckily, I rarely "got caught".

ah_hasda
30-Nov-10, 03:21
yip throo snow balls at cars when i was young, didnt think twice. not bad up bringing, just 2 young to know better. and when my car gets hit (as it did the other day) i just have a wee smile to my self and remember wat it was like to be young :D and not the stuck up hypocritical geek most of us seem to have grown up 2 be :lol:

highland red
30-Nov-10, 11:35
Wise, wise words.

I consider myself as a good guy, but looking back I did a lot of childish stuff.

It wasn't that I was immune from parental punishment, I wasn't, but the "thrill of the chase" was a Buzz.

Luckily, I rarely "got caught".

One point I should probably have made is these were not children: they were around 15 - 16, who probably do know better. If it was children then maybe they would have listened if you had a word, but all you would likely get is a load of abuse if you tried to speak to these morons.

squidge
30-Nov-10, 11:47
Highland red, I'm sorry but that doesn't wash. Its always someone elses fault or responsibility so we dont do anything about it and that makes us all at fault. If you get a mouthful of abuse then I'm sure it won't be anything you haven't heard before. I will give you odds on that you will stop your car, get out and they will have run off. If not then give them a row, likely one of the group will say "come on guys" and they will leave, shouting maybe, muttering ... Probably but they won't be throwing snowballs at someone behind you and causing THEM to have an accident. If they dont leave and start to have a square go at you then call the police. Doing nothing then coming on here and shouting about how awful, rude and bad mouthed these kids ( and anyone who knows teenagers knows what children they can be- 3 one day, 30 the next) are when you did NOTHING except allow them to continue doesn't achieve anything really.

golach
30-Nov-10, 12:06
Highland red, I'm sorry but that doesn't wash. Its always someone elses fault or responsibility so we dont do anything about it and that makes us all responsible for doing something, if you get a mouthful of abuse then I'm sure it won't be anything you haven't heard before. I will give you odds on that you will stop your car, get out and they will have run off. If not then give them a row, likely one of the group will say "come on guys" and they will leave, shouting maybe, muttering ... Probably but they won't be throwing snowballs at someone behind you and causing THEM to have an accident. If they dont leave and start to have a square go at you then call the police. Doing nothing then coming on here and shouting about how awful, rude and bad mouthed these kids are when you did NOTHING except allow them to continue doesn't achieve anything really.
Sorry Squidge, I think you must be living in a perfect wee village society, not the real urban jungle that we have in the Capital, things are so bad down here that we have "Q" buses going round certain areas filled with police, to prevent the continual attacks that these "little angels" cause. And its not snowballs they use to attack buses its bricks!!!
Another good game down here is to attack the Fire Brigade when they try to put out fires, cutting their hoses and stealing from the vehicles.
These are not isolated instances, but everyday occurances.
I for one would not stop and remonstrate with these snowball throwers, if I did I would be taking my life in my hands, and the little towrags know it.
I sadly do not have the answer for this problem, but I have always stated it was a sad day that the Lochgelly Tawes was banned in schools!!!

shazzap
30-Nov-10, 12:23
Sorry Squidge, I think you must be living in a perfect wee village society, not the real urban jungle that we have in the Capital, things are so bad down here that we have "Q" buses going round certain areas filled with police, to prevent the continual attacks that these "little angels" cause. And its not snowballs they use to attack buses its bricks!!!
Another good game down here is to attack the Fire Brigade when they try to put out fires, cutting their hoses and stealing from the vehicles.
These are not isolated instances, but everyday occurances.
I for one would not stop and remonstrate with these snowball throwers, if I did I would be taking my life in my hands, and the little towrags know it.
I sadly do not have the answer for this problem, but I have always stated it was a sad day that the Lochgelly Tawes was banned in schools!!!

I have to agree.
I have worked in Young Peoples Homes, and a Secure Unit.
Have to say you would be very surprised at how most of the YP behave, i say most as there are some exceptions.

squidge
30-Nov-10, 14:02
Don't patronise me people. We are not talking about inner city Edinburgh here and we are unlikely to find kids from a secure unit throwing snowballs on the streets of Halkirk. Wick Thurso and Inverness don't have hoards of feral children roaming the streets looking for grown ups to stab to death. The original poster was talking about Thurso and Halkirk and they said today so it was likely daylight. This is part of the problem. Horror stories put people off taking any sort of stand.

And shazzap I too have worked with young people who are being looked after and have been in secure units. They are however the minority. I go into schools and see yp s who do not attend school and the vast majority of young people are polite, interested and interesting not rude and uncooperative.

Advice for inner cities may very well be different but for highland I stand by my comments. We all need to be prepared to tackle bad behaviour. Why would we not?

footie chick
30-Nov-10, 14:14
Pity you didn't pass when the same gang of youths were pushing stuck motorists cars out of their driveways!
Oh how easy it is to come on here and hide behind a username!

golach
30-Nov-10, 14:18
I am not patronising you Squidge, but your idea that these feral hooligans are different in small communities is wrong, in my opinion they same whether they are, be it in Muirhouse, Westerhailes or Gilmerton, Wick, Thurso, or where ever. Throwing snowballs at moving vehicles is dangerous and should not be allowed. or condoned.

Mrs Bucket
30-Nov-10, 14:23

Totally agree with you there is something wrong or missing from the lives of people who do that.

shazzap
30-Nov-10, 14:24
Don't patronise me people. We are not talking about inner city Edinburgh here and we are unlikely to find kids from a secure unit throwing snowballs on the streets of Halkirk. Wick Thurso and Inverness don't have hoards of feral children roaming the streets looking for grown ups to stab to death. The original poster was talking about Thurso and Halkirk and they said today so it was likely daylight. This is part of the problem. Horror stories put people off taking any sort of stand.

And shazzap I too have worked with young people who are being looked after and have been in secure units. They are however the minority. I go into schools and see yp s who do not attend school and the vast majority of young people are polite, interested and interesting not rude and uncooperative.

Advice for inner cities may very well be different but for highland I stand by my comments. We all need to be prepared to tackle bad behaviour. Why would we not?

Who is patronising you???
I stated my opinion. I am entitled to that.
I did not state that the YPS involved were from Secure Units or any other institution. I was agreeing with Golach about what he had posted.
Are you saying that Caithness does not have any looked after children, or any children involved with the Youth Justice Team, because i beg to differ. I know of a family who went out to remonstrate with a group of YP in Caithness. They ended up in court with a fine and police record as a result of this. The YP lied about what was and was not done and said. I worked in the above establishments, not visited them. When you have been head butted or had a knife held to your throat, just to mention 2 incidents. It gives you a different perspective of what seemingly innocent yp can and will do. Saying that, i loved my job and was always fair and i thought approachable by the YP. In fact some who have now left and gone onto a new life are still in touch.

squidge
30-Nov-10, 14:45
Look there are good and bad in all areas. The thing I have the issue with hereof that we are implying that ALL kids are bad. That doesn't make sense. Kids are kids they often do stupid things like throwing snowballs at cars but at least in our areas we are unlikely to be battered to death by feral youths. That means that we have no reason to be in fear of our lives. Yea there are looked after children and children involved in the justice system and there are kids who do terrible things. Snow balling carsis stupid but it doesnt make the children wicked or out of control or in need of local authority care or a secure unit. There are children who have to be in a secure unit for a whole range of reasons that would make your toes curl but by far and away the young people you come face to face with in wick, Thurso, Inverness and Halkirk are good kids.

There are far more good young people than there are badly behaved ones. And then even amongst the badly behaved ones there are many that are basically good and just need pointing in the right direction. Very few are damaged or do things wicked enough to require placing on a secure unit. Even good kids can do stupid things regardless of how they have been brought up. Like snowballing cars. And golach the whole point of me posting was to point out these things should not be condoned they should be confronted and have the seriousness of their stupidity pointed out to them. By driving on and then having a go on here does not do that. We have no excuse for not telling them off in our area. None at all.