PDA

View Full Version : Seals in the Snow 28-11-10

Seabird
28-Nov-10, 17:07
Not the best weather for getting about with a lot of side roads having a covering of snow.
Today being better than yesterday i decided to risk it.
It's been reported that this year has been a good year for Grey seal pups, i suspect the stormy and now the very cold weather will reset the balance. Thats the way of Nature.

Molted Grey Pup.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e307/seabird72/web%20site/MoltedGreyPup28-11-10.jpg

Grey Pup yet to molt. This is the picture I set out to find, a whitecoat in the conditions that evolution evolved it for, to be born in a white background. A little more snow would have helped with the image but the ice age is long gone.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e307/seabird72/web%20site/SleepingGreyb28-11-10.jpg

Colin
Caithness sea watching.

Anji
28-Nov-10, 18:42
Smashing pics as always, Seabird.
The first one seems to be inviting you to play with him, judging from the look in his eyes.

highland red
28-Nov-10, 23:35
Good stuff as always: keep them coming.

welsh-witch
29-Nov-10, 01:07
awww lovely pictures:Razz

Kenn
29-Nov-10, 02:51
Brilliant seabird.............................

cecile
29-Nov-10, 08:14
where did you take those amazing pics???

Kevin Milkins
29-Nov-10, 10:53
Great photos as usual, Colin.:Razz

Thanks for sharing.

Liz
29-Nov-10, 13:38
I always enjoy looking at the photos you kindly share with us Colin.

Great photos of these really beautiful creatures. Thanks!:D

Seabird
29-Nov-10, 20:55
Smashing pics as always, Seabird.
The first one seems to be inviting you to play with him, judging from the look in his eyes.

The seals idea of play would have me going to the A&E for a very strong penicillin injection.
I almost missed that pup i was 6 feet from it, it was only because it snorted that i saw it.
Seals blend well against rocky backgrounds so it's very easy to get closer than is safe.
2 years ago while crossing rocks to a pup beach, i was about to step over a large boulder when i spotted an adult seal sleeping on the other side, i not sure who was the most surprised.

Colin

Garnet
30-Nov-10, 04:04
Sleeping beauty...just brilliant thanks for those. :cool:. G