PDA

View Full Version : If in need of help leave post here

phil1958
27-Nov-10, 10:56
Hello once again the snow has come around and once again i am asking anyone who can help someone stuck or need help in any way to leave a message on here and i along with other ogers that can help in this cold weather will get back to you i would also like to hear from people that have been helped so we have some feed back . Thankyou in advance ...

ShelleyCowie
27-Nov-10, 11:12
Great thread! I would offer to help but im kinda stuck in myself! Not taking the pram out to get stuck in the snow along with dragging along a 2 year old. Not worth anythin!

Doreen
27-Nov-10, 11:19
I would gladly help if needed especilly the elderly that cant get out

brandy
27-Nov-10, 11:45
if im able to will put my name in the hat. easier for me during the day while the kids are at school though.

Carole
27-Nov-10, 12:11
Count me in - am travelling between Thurso and Weydale several times a day.

upolian
27-Nov-10, 12:39
Count me in! Already helped somebody an hour ago,the roads are not fantastic! Take care :)

Garnet
27-Nov-10, 12:47
What a lovely kind gesture, I will keep my eye on this thread and if i can help i will. Thanks phil1958. G.

Kevin Milkins
27-Nov-10, 12:58
Good Idea, Phill 1958. Positive thinking in not so positive times, well done.:Razz

I am in Wick able able to be of assistance if required.

lindsaymcc
27-Nov-10, 13:03
Add me to the list.

Already called my Granny, got her shopping list, done her shopping, popped in for a cuppa and come home again.

Im in the Pennyland area of Thurso for anyone who needs me!

Liz
27-Nov-10, 13:59
How nice to have such a lovely thread which shows how nice, kind and helpful Orgers can be. Well done phil1958.

I'm afraid I can't do physical work such as digging a car out etc but glad to help anyone in need if I can.
Thankfully, where I live everyone knows each other so any vulnerable person will be okay.

cherokee
27-Nov-10, 14:04
What a fantastic and thoughtful, unselfish gesture !! :D

Great to see the lovely replies from everyone !

Anyone in Ackergill who needs some help, then count us in ! :)

Doreen
27-Nov-10, 14:12
I would gladly help if needed especilly the elderly that cant get out Also if their is any body that is on their own and has no one its always worth giving them a call to make sure their ok even to ask if they need any shopping or any help at all what a lovely thread it just goes to show how our community pull together when needed

beetlecrusher
27-Nov-10, 14:18
Yep, we're in Spittal if anyone needs help. Its very deep out here!!

Liz
27-Nov-10, 14:22
Also if their is any body that is on their own and has no one its always worth giving them a call to make sure their ok even to ask if they need any shopping or any help at all what a lovely thread it just goes to show how our community pull together when needed

Yes not everyone has access to a computer to come on here and ask for help so please keep an eye on vulnerable neighbours.

Please don't forget the wildlife as well who will be struggling in these awful conditions. :(

ShelleyCowie
27-Nov-10, 16:14
Yes not everyone has access to a computer to come on here and ask for help so please keep an eye on vulnerable neighbours.

Please don't forget the wildlife as well who will be struggling in these awful conditions. :(

Iv been throwing out scraps for the birdies, also i know there is a cat that sleeps in our shed (we have a wee hole in the door so strays can keep warm over night with blankets in there) so will be putting food out later.

For any elderly please make sure they have plenty in their electric/heating meters and plenty blankets to keep warm. Iv been so cold all day when Athrun went to bed me and jay cuddled on the couch with 7 blankets over us! Nice and warm :)

Doreen
27-Nov-10, 16:50
Iv been throwing out scraps for the birdies, also i know there is a cat that sleeps in our shed (we have a wee hole in the door so strays can keep warm over night with blankets in there) so will be putting food out later.

For any elderly please make sure they have plenty in their electric/heating meters and plenty blankets to keep warm. Iv been so cold all day when Athrun went to bed me and jay cuddled on the couch with 7 blankets over us! Nice and warm :)Your so right shelley they feel the cold so much a nice flask of hot tea beside them to so they dont have to get up and down:D

buddy
27-Nov-10, 16:52
count me in too, am in thurso and would be glad to help anyone stuck in the house in this weather. :)

jings00
27-Nov-10, 17:39
in Thurso...don't drive but will help if i can, in east church st area

essexbird
27-Nov-10, 18:13
Count me in, I have a 4x4 so anybody needing help in the Watten area, im available.

ShelleyCowie
27-Nov-10, 18:26
Your so right shelley they feel the cold so much a nice flask of hot tea beside them to so they dont have to get up and down:D

Exactly Doreen, also take through plenty snacks at one time. Save opening the living room door all the time and letting the heat out. :) Cant be done in this house with a 2 year old opening the door all the time! :lol:

Doreen
27-Nov-10, 18:45
Exactly Doreen, also take through plenty snacks at one time. Save opening the living room door all the time and letting the heat out. :) Cant be done in this house with a 2 year old opening the door all the time! :lol:Know exactly how you feel and mine are teenagers and it does not get better:lol:

Liz
27-Nov-10, 19:07

For any elderly please make sure they have plenty in their electric/heating meters and plenty blankets to keep warm. Iv been so cold all day when Athrun went to bed me and jay cuddled on the couch with 7 blankets over us! Nice and warm :)

That's really kind of you Shelley and how lovely that the wee stray has a nice comfy place to sleep.

I bet you didn't want to come out from under your blanket nest!:lol: xxx

lindsaymcc
28-Nov-10, 13:06
Anyone needing any help?

Ill be off to Tesco about 1pm after dropping child number 1 at a birthday party.

orkneycadian
28-Nov-10, 14:02
So has anyone actually been out and done anything helpful as a result of this thread then? :confused

rory110
28-Nov-10, 17:25
i am currently unemployed but can take 1 too 4 people to wick or ? for the price of fuel happy to wait i live in lybster very flexible cheers ian

teddybear1873
28-Nov-10, 17:29
Sitting back with not a cloud in the sky. A warmish 61 degrees.

Shame there won't be any snow for this area :(

billmoseley
28-Nov-10, 17:46
i'm out bettyhill way and am willing to lend a hand to anyone whos needs it. great thread

orkneycadian
28-Nov-10, 17:59
great thread

Would be if there was any evidence of it actually working.... I suspect a lot of folk are feeling chuffed with themselves that they have "done their bit" for the community, without actually having left the house! :)

Tugmistress
28-Nov-10, 18:09
Done a bit of path clearing today, even chunked some ice off the road as the gritter had been up and down twice and maybe spewed half a dozen grains of grit out the back :roll:
no particular persons property this was just outside the garage in ormlie, can't be doing with anyone trying to pull in or out of the shared parking area and not being able to stop and hitting another car or person or building! probably be doing the same again tomorrow :eek:

lindsaymcc
28-Nov-10, 18:26
We have cleared the paths/steps and put salt down for neighbours.

Checked in on my Granny again today, she is fine other than having a cold, so daily checks on her for now.

wicker8
29-Nov-10, 08:51
nice thread phil count me in will help anyway i can ,very caring person so kind of you to think of others

Venture
29-Nov-10, 12:47
So has anyone actually been out and done anything helpful as a result of this thread then? :confused

Would be if there was any evidence of it actually working.... I suspect a lot of folk are feeling chuffed with themselves that they have "done their bit" for the community, without actually having left the house!

You've certainly done a fair bit of criticising of the locals since you joined this forum. This is not the first thread I have read where you have found fault with something that has been posted. :roll:

Perhaps some folk don't want to post that they have helped out someone in some way and no posts dosen't mean it's not going on in the background. Anyway us Caithnessians were never ones for bragging about how kind hearted, thoughtful and considerate we really are. ;)

Doreen
29-Nov-10, 12:51
You've certainly done a fair bit of criticising of the locals since you joined this forum. This is not the first thread I have read where you have found fault with something that has been posted. :roll:

Perhaps some folk don't want to post that they have helped out someone in someway. Us Caithnessians were never ones for bragging about how kind hearted, thoughtful and considerate we really are. ;)Totally agree with that comment was not needed.

ShelleyCowie
29-Nov-10, 13:04

Perhaps some folk don't want to post that they have helped out someone in some way. Us Caithnessians were never ones for bragging about how kind hearted, thoughtful and considerate we really are. ;)

Totally agree! Some comments made that i have seen on many threads have really bugged me. Iv bitten my tongue though :roll:

Liz
29-Nov-10, 13:32

Perhaps some folk don't want to post that they have helped out someone in some way and no posts dosen't mean it's not going on in the background. Anyway us Caithnessians were never ones for bragging about how kind hearted, thoughtful and considerate we really are. ;)

Exactly Venture and very well said! If we were to come on here and tell of any 'kindnesses' we'd done no doubt Orkneycadian would then accuse us of boasting!

Shelley I bite my tongue so many times it's full of holes!!:lol:

orkneycadian
29-Nov-10, 18:48
:rolleyes:

Its not about a place to report who has done what!

Have reviewed all the postings on this thread, and not one says....

"Help, I am an elderly housebound grannie who needs her path cleared - Can someone please come and help me?"

or

"I am unable to get to the shop for my tin of beans - Is anyone out there able to get them for me?"

So there is no doubt that the usual level of helpfulness is happening, both sides of the firth. It just doesnt seem to be getting instigated as a result of this thread!

The instruction in the thread title is to "leave post here"..."if in need of help"

Maybe the old dears are having trouble with their PC's or internet connections?

;)

highland red
29-Nov-10, 18:58
No problem helping if possible please contact.

cherokee
29-Nov-10, 19:17

The instruction in the thread title is to "leave post here"..."if in need of help"

Please excuse my ignorance here Orkneycadian, but the OP never at any point suggested an "instruction" :confused

We are all (and I include myself) just trying to look out for others in these adverse winter conditions !

If you really cannot find any "nice" or "kind" comments to make on this thread; then I majorally suggest you keep out of it......[evil]

brandy
29-Nov-10, 19:45
i thought of it more as a round robin.. we post our availability on here.. and then when some one needs help in a certain area.. the OP would pm them and say.. hi can you do this for so and so .. at said address... also, could PM the OP with requests and say.. there is so and so that needs help.. dosent have to be little wifeys and mannies on the org themselves... but other individuals who can put in requests for them..
BTW im in wick so any running needing done.. ie appt. msgs. whatnot let me know.
brandy

Leanne
30-Nov-10, 16:38

Its not about a place to report who has done what!

Have reviewed all the postings on this thread, and not one says....

"Help, I am an elderly housebound grannie who needs her path cleared - Can someone please come and help me?"

or

"I am unable to get to the shop for my tin of beans - Is anyone out there able to get them for me?"

So there is no doubt that the usual level of helpfulness is happening, both sides of the firth. It just doesnt seem to be getting instigated as a result of this thread!

;)

Makes scrooge and the grinch look like Nanny McPhee!

aburns2409
01-Dec-10, 02:46
I would like to say thank you - up in Albyn Court there has been a loon out clearing the paths for the last 2 nights - from the front doors of the houses right down infront of them, he was even out on the road trying to clear some of the snow away - i for 1 am really grateful - broke my ribs last week so i couldn't go help him however will not forget the kind gesture of the lad.... Angela xx

transit
01-Dec-10, 16:59
its good tp help others

phil1958
06-Dec-10, 13:32
hello glad to see so many willing to help and those that have been helping other would also like to add any ogrs that cant get to there old ones and r worried about them leave a message on here and someone will try to check on them i know some people wont want a stranger on there door but it will give other peace of mind and u could leave ur number with them if they need u and see they have candles if a power cut arises and a torch im sure it would make the older one feel there is someone watching out for them i have left my nuber with one or two and checked on them and they said they feel safer knowing someone will be able to come if they need me ...