PDA

View Full Version : weir family of wick

dfss
23-Nov-10, 19:11
I have been researching the WEIR family of WICK and would be grateful if anyone who has local knowledge would care to share information on them.
Their Pedigree is :

John Weir b. about 1710 married Janet Henry b. about 1710; parents of
John Weir b. 1734 married Elizabeth Doull (b. 1739) at Wick in 1760; parents of
Donald Weir b.1766 married Barbara Doull (b. 1776) at Wick in 1797 then Elizabeth Manson at Wick in 1806 Donald and Elizabeth were parents of
Donald Weir b. 1806(also Robert) married Margaret Sinclair (b. 1808) in 1830; parents of
James Weir b.1834 (also Janet, Margaret, Ellen, Donald, Isabella, Charlotte and Catherine) married Margaret Gunn (b. 1837); parents of
James Sinclair Weir b. 1868(also Margaret S. and Elisabeth I.)
Does this ring any local bells ?! The family though mainly based in Wick also lived in Upper Greenland and Bower.

Any help would be most gratefully received.

Mamie_2
30-Nov-10, 18:23
Margaret married David Matheson b Dec 25 1863 s/o James Matheson and Alexandrina Dunnet
at least one child W. Matheson and possibly a 2nd son.
David died in 1837 in Thurso

David is one of my cousins.

dfss
08-Dec-10, 15:30
Margaret married David Matheson b Dec 25 1863 s/o James Matheson and Alexandrina Dunnet
at least one child W. Matheson and possibly a 2nd son.
David died in 1837 in Thurso

David is one of my cousins.

Hello Mamie....

Thanks for this...

I presume the Margaret you are writing of is Margaret S. (Sinclair ?) Weir ? My Great Grandfather's sister.

Is the death date you give for David correct or do you mean a David from an earlier generation ?

Do you know anymore about this family ? I'd be fascinated to know. James, Margarets sister had an illustrious career as a fireman and ended up as Firemaster of Dundee. If you google James Sinclair Weir firemaster Dundee and variants of those words you can find some bits about him on the net.

All best,
Don

Mamie_2
28-Dec-10, 19:09
Sorry I started to reply on the weekend but it ended up in cyberspace.

David Matheson/Mathieson died in 1937 in Wick actually and married Margaret Sinclair Weir in 1885 in Olrig. Typos in previous response.
They had James c 1886, David c 1887, John G c 1890, Thomas W c 1892, Donald c 1894, Margaret I c 1898 and Alexandrina 1901
I have looked at David's death and the informant was son W. Mathieson(Thomas?) and Alexandrina's birth record.

The family are in Wick in 1891 and Latheron in 1901 and David was a police constable/sergeant on the various records I have looked at. Margaret had predeceased him.

Mamie

dfss
05-Jan-11, 17:15
Thank you so much for this Mamie,

Interesting in that my grandparents house after they moved to England was called "Olrig"....I never knew why before ! Also of interest is that Margaret's father James Weir (born Bower 1834) gives his occupation in the 1871 census as "Sheriff's Officer" (Scottish equivalent of Police Constable). He was then resident at Green Road Wick. It would seem perhaps that service in the police force was a kind of family tradition ! Similarly Margaret's brother James from whom I am descended eventually served in the fire service. Previous generations of the family all seem to have been farmers.

Happy New Year and thanks once again,
Don