PDA

View Full Version : Rural living costs 20% more!

Phill
23-Nov-10, 09:48
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11812384

"People in rural areas need to take home up to 20% more than those in urban areas in order to reach an acceptable living standard, according to a report."

"The report also found:

A car is a significant additional cost for rural households because people said public transport is inadequate
Many rural dwellers face higher energy bills because they are not always connected to mains gas, so must use other fuels
In a hamlet, a family of four needs £72.20 more per week than a similar urban family"

DMFB
23-Nov-10, 10:03
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11812384

"People in rural areas need to take home up to 20% more than those in urban areas in order to reach an acceptable living standard, according to a report."

"The report also found:

A car is a significant additional cost for rural households because people said public transport is inadequate
Many rural dwellers face higher energy bills because they are not always connected to mains gas, so must use other fuels
In a hamlet, a family of four needs £72.20 more per week than a similar urban family"

I dont own a car.I cant afford my electric as it is.I have only the two of us to worry about.I couldnt afford the country without major help by the looks of things. ;)

cuddlepop
23-Nov-10, 10:31
I totally agree its just too expensive to live in rural locations.

Its now £130.5 for a litre of diesil.Electric has just gone up.No bargain shops.Limited expensive public transport.Vat in the new year will put everyones prices up but we'll have to pay more for our goods because of the location.:(

Your £65 job seekers allowance can go alot further in the town than it can anywhere else.:(

orkneycadian
23-Nov-10, 11:54
I would disagree with this. All the following are cheaper in the country....

Electricity - We have space to put up small wind turbines that you can't do in the town
Heating - Can burn all sorts of biofuels from wood to peats - Plenty space to stack peats outside that I wouldnt have if I lived in the town - Peat bank a mere half a mile away
Food - Plenty fresh meat running by the door every day, there for the taking
Vegetables - Plenty room to grow your own - Wouldnt fancy trying to grow a years worth of tatties in a window box in the toon!
Car repairs - Don't get my car regulalrly scratched, trampled on, or otherwise damaged as toonies do - No repair costs, or loss of excess
Cheaper car insurance full stop for living in a rural area.
Sewage - No annual sewerage charge on the council tax bill. All goes into private septic tank
Entertainment - No fines for playing music as loud as I want!
House insurance - Cheaper
Public Transport - Getting better - 1 bus an hour 6 days a week at the moment!
Private Transport - Plenty room, and justification, for a tank of red diesel! ;) - If you were that way inclined, which I am not, just in case you happen to be an exciseman!

Can see it would be more expensive for toonies living a toonie life in the country, where they simply must get to the shops every day, and get their daily newspaper. But us yokels ken how to do it a bit cheaper! ;)

onecalledk
23-Nov-10, 12:22
Better for your health in general to live in a rural location though. Think of all the pollution that you inhale living in a city. THere are pros and cons to both sides of it. Convenience of everything on your doorstep for those that live in towns/cities and peace and quiet for those who live in the country.

The price of petrol/diesel will always rage on in this part of the world. Those that make the prices dont live in the areas where there is no option but to use cars, I thought there was some sort of bill being passed about about fuel prices in rural areas or did I dream that one ?

It depends why you live where you do really doesnt it. I mean people dont move to the country cos is cheaper do they? If it was solely down to cost of where to live then we would all live in ONE huge city in the middle of the country .....

K

scorrie
23-Nov-10, 13:38
[QUOTE=cuddlepop;789302

Its now £130.5 for a litre of diesil.[/QUOTE]

Crikey!!

Cartel/Ripping the eyes out of us/Thank God for Tesco/etc

orkneycadian
23-Nov-10, 13:42
Misheard lyrics number 145, Ace of Base:-

"All that she wants is a rubber baby, she's gone to borrow one"

Where in the list does Credence Clearwater Revival come with "Theres a bathroom on the right?"

Bazeye
23-Nov-10, 13:48
Crikey!!

Cartel/Ripping the eyes out of us/Thank God for Tesco/etc

Thank God I dont drive.

orkneycadian
23-Nov-10, 14:01
Thank God for Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-43904-Fuel-Transfer-Syphon/dp/B00123121K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290517254&sr=8-1).....

scorrie
23-Nov-10, 21:16
Where in the list does Credence Clearwater Revival come with "Theres a bathroom on the right?"

Not sure of the number but I think it is about hand with M People and the line:-

"You've got to search for the Bero inside your shelf"