PDA

View Full Version : Car insurance for young drivers

RJM
22-Nov-10, 19:35
My son is getting his first car shortly. He's 17. Am struggling to pay less than 3K for his insurance!
Can anyone recommend a company that they perhaps use or know of?

orkneycadian
22-Nov-10, 19:41
Raleigh???

upolian
22-Nov-10, 19:43
^^^ LOL!

What car are getting insurance quotes for?

highlander2222
22-Nov-10, 19:56
My son is getting his first car shortly. He's 17. Am struggling to pay less than 3K for his insurance!
Can anyone recommend a company that they perhaps use or know of?

Has he tried doing pass plus ??

ANNIE
22-Nov-10, 19:56
we got our daughter on admiral £700 but hats in her dads name and us on as name drivers

RJM
22-Nov-10, 20:03
Admiral are no longer taking kids on parents policies. He is currently on our car and it was around £700 with admiral and that for a car thats almost new. Admiral quoted £7000 for him on his own car! Madness! Its a basic car. No big engine or modifications!

orkneycadian
22-Nov-10, 20:05
Annie - Who owns the car? Dad or Daughter?

orkneycadian
22-Nov-10, 20:09
Its a basic car. No big engine or modifications!

So give us a clue - What is it?

RJM
22-Nov-10, 20:10
its a second hand 1.2 ford fiesta

lindsaymcc
22-Nov-10, 20:11
Having worked in Insurance, if a child is a named driver on a parents policy, but owns the car and/or has sole (majority of use) use of the vehicle, it is classed as "Fronting the policy" and as such any claim will be thrown out and insurance deemed invalid.

You really do need to be careful! Many a times did I come across claims where the child was a named driver but owned the vehicle or had sole use and had to break it to the parties involved that the insurance was invalid!

orkneycadian
22-Nov-10, 20:18
its a second hand 1.2 ford fiesta

Age? (car not son....)

S&LHEN
22-Nov-10, 20:49
Elephant.co.uk and tesco value I had a 2.0i gti when I was 21 and it only cosy me £320 a year so was a happy bunny but I am female so that may have made a difference x

nightspirit
22-Nov-10, 20:58
It is cheaper for femails (bosses daugher £700 for a yars) pal's sone similar sized engin a quote of £2500 .. :~(

Stack Rock
22-Nov-10, 21:03
Try Quinn Direct as they tend to insure young drivers

brandy
22-Nov-10, 21:07
confused.com give decent quotes with a lot of companies

oldmarine
22-Nov-10, 21:53
It looks like I was more fortunate insuring my four children with car insurance when we were all much younger. The way things look now in Great Britain and the USA, it costs much more if you can get the insurance.

Corrie 3
22-Nov-10, 22:39
Elephant.co.uk and tesco value I had a 2.0i gti when I was 21 and it only cosy me £320 a year so was a happy bunny but I am female so that may have made a difference x
Not so many girl racers as boy racers, thats the reason.
You can see why the insurance costs so much for young men though, they do seem to be a high risk and then they all get tarred with the same brush.

C3...:eek:

dragonfly
22-Nov-10, 22:57
18 year old daughter has car in own name and fully comp insurance in own name from day 1 of passing test, dad down as named driver on policy she's paying less than £650 on a 58 plate Vauxhall Agila - it is only 1.0l tho. thats through Admiral

Son, 17, learning to drive - quoted £1500 for adding him to our mondeo 1.8 or £70 added to daughters car - guess which one he's learning in :eek:

pottheed
22-Nov-10, 23:48
i find is the cheapest is go to admiral direct and put a stupidly high excess

i am 19, if i wanted a £500 excess it would be £1100 fully comp

1250 excess £500 policy :D

BRIE
23-Nov-10, 00:07
www.mypolicy.co.uk (http://www.mypolicy.co.uk) my sons was £800 fully comp with £300 excess. The pass plus is definately worth doing brought his quote down by £400! only costs £120 to do & if you apply to the council they give you a voucher for £100 towards the cost.

buddy
23-Nov-10, 00:09
I have just insured my son with quinn direct, found it on confused.com. He has a 1.2 peugeout 106 in his own name with me as named driver, just turned 17 got it for £1200 for the year.:)

annemarie482
23-Nov-10, 00:19
www.mypolicy.co.uk (http://www.mypolicy.co.uk) my sons was £800 fully comp with £300 excess. The pass plus is definately worth doing brought his quote down by £400! only costs £120 to do & if you apply to the council they give you a voucher for £100 towards the cost.

wow really?!
who in the council do you apply to?
and are there age retrictions to the voucher?

rob1
23-Nov-10, 11:07
I think you are just going to have to accept that it is going to cost several thousands to insure a 17 year old male on their own car. My folks insured me on their car when i was younger and it was only a few hundred extra a year.

RJM
23-Nov-10, 13:20
Yes it seems so. I think you lot that are getting cheap deals just now could be in for a big shock come renewal time.

Thanks to everyone for the help and recommendations. It was very much appreciated.

BRIE
23-Nov-10, 13:41
wow really?!
who in the council do you apply to?
and are there age retrictions to the voucher?

you apply to Debbie Tuckwell Highland council Road safety officer. you can apply online by going through the council website http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourenvironment/roadsandtransport/roadsafety/passplusscheme.htm

dragonfly
23-Nov-10, 14:10
Yes it seems so. I think you lot that are getting cheap deals just now could be in for a big shock come renewal time.

Thanks to everyone for the help and recommendations. It was very much appreciated.

fraid not, daughters renewal came in and it was a few pounds cheaper than the year before but she had also built up 1 years NCB

bish667
23-Nov-10, 14:40
fraid not, daughters renewal came in and it was a few pounds cheaper than the year before but she had also built up 1 years NCB

I always find it a lot cheaper not to take the renewal price.
Even if you go online and get a new quote it will be a good bit cheaper than the renewal price, even with the same company.
I've had to start a new policy as if im a new customer rather than continue as an existing customer, usually save a couple of hundred pounds each year doing that.

Insurance companies are robbing *****

ducati
23-Nov-10, 16:38
Why not just buy a semi scrap Evo or Scubie, spend about 4 grand making it go way faster than the brakes, steering, chassis can cope with, don't bother with Tax, MOT or insurance and drive it like a looney.

Like everyone else :eek:

orkneycadian
23-Nov-10, 17:00
Or alternatively, leave all the important bits as they are, and make up a tailpipe out of a scrap bit of 12" pipeline from the back of Subsea 7's yard, chop out the silencers and replace with straight through pipe, and the piece de resistance, if its a front wheel drive car, put a wing on the back of it. :roll:
[lol]

mrlennie
23-Nov-10, 19:22
Well you wouldn't put wings on the front of a car now would ya? :cool:

jimbews
23-Nov-10, 22:47
I have just insured my son with quinn direct, found it on confused.com. He has a 1.2 peugeout 106 in his own name with me as named driver, just turned 17 got it for £1200 for the year.:)
There's a paragraph in the latest Which magazine which suggests that young drivers insurance can be cut by "Ideally add a family member who has no claims and a clean licence to get the best savings". Don't know if you'll be able to access advice for under 25's:
http://www.which.co.uk/cars/driving/car-running-costs/insurance-tips-for-young-drivers/