PDA

View Full Version : DVD Regions 1 and 2

grandma
17-Nov-10, 14:56
Can anyone please help me. Over the last 6 months I have been collecting an old American TV programme a series at a time. I have been sure to buy the DVDs in Region 2 format so that it will play on UK DVD players. I have got as far as series 7 but can only see series 8 and 9 in Region 1 (America). Does anyone know if you can convert these from region 1 to region 2 or know of anyone who would do it for me please?
Many thanks

carrepairman
17-Nov-10, 15:46
It is possible to convert most DVD players to play all regions, This is often done by using your remote control, But ovbiously you need to know the correct key sequence, Let me know the make and model of your dvd player and I will look it up for you.

EDDIE
17-Nov-10, 15:49
Can anyone please help me. Over the last 6 months I have been collecting an old American TV programme a series at a time. I have been sure to buy the DVDs in Region 2 format so that it will play on UK DVD players. I have got as far as series 7 but can only see series 8 and 9 in Region 1 (America). Does anyone know if you can convert these from region 1 to region 2 or know of anyone who would do it for me please?
Many thanks
I fyou rip the dvds and convert them thats illegal if you are going to be buying region 1 dvds it would be easier for you to buy a region free dvd player you can buy that out of places like maplin electronics

grandma
17-Nov-10, 16:02
Thanks both. It's a present for someone else so i'll find out what dvd player she has and get back to you.

teddybear1873
17-Nov-10, 16:10
Thanks both. It's a present for someone else so i'll find out what dvd player she has and get back to you.

Most DVD players from the last 5 years can play all regions. Some need to be coded from the remote control if it's a few years old.

retrodj
18-Nov-10, 17:51

here is a website that is you can searchable. I found it on the moneysavingexpert website. Enter the make and model of dvd player and if there is a known unlocking code it will appear with instructions on how to go about it.

I used it to unlock my lite-on dvd recorder, which is around 5 years old. If the dvd player is still within warranty I would wait just in case. I came back from holiday with a couple of region one dvds and I thought I might have to buy a region free dvd player, but fortunately found this website first. The region one dvds work a treat now as well as my normal region 2 DVDs. DVD manufacturers could quite easily make all dvd players region free, but the film studios etc frown upon it so the manufacturers do it to keep em happy.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

theone
19-Nov-10, 06:50
I fyou rip the dvds and convert them thats illegal if you are going to be buying region 1 dvds it would be easier for you to buy a region free dvd player you can buy that out of places like maplin electronics

I'm not sure about that.

If you own the original disc, you're just making a backup of it.

It's no different to buying a CD then saving it in iTunes on your computer.

Either way, I wouldn't worry about the police coming knocking at the door.

theone
19-Nov-10, 06:52

It's worth checking what TV she has too.

Even if you have a multiregion DVD player the TV will have to cope with a NTSC signal instead of PAL.