PDA

View Full Version : McLeod-Gunn Connection

vinco
08-Aug-06, 05:37
:) I am looking for information on George GUNN and Helen McLEOD, who were married in 1846.The marriage was notified in both Latheron and Kildonan.
On the 1861 census for Upper Smerill,Latheron Estates, Helen is shown as a widow.
Her children ,shown as born at Latheron, are listed as
Mary age 14
William 12
Janet 10
John 8
James 6

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

bertha
21-May-09, 17:33
Hello,

I have just found your query while researching my family tree. George Gunn you are referring to was a brother of James and William who were both my great great grandfathers. James son John and William's daughter Mary Anne wo were full cousins married and they were my great grandparents. If you would like to contact me I have a lot more information about the family. George died in 1856 age 38 from TB. James, George's brother married Margaret McLeod and she was a cousin to Helen.

Look forward to hearing from you

Chris.

phyllis ferguson
21-May-09, 20:20
I too have a Margaret McLeod in my family tree. I know it's probably not the same one as mentioned above, but if you happen to have any details about my one it would be very much apprecaited.
Margaret Mcleod married a Colin MacKay (Farmer) early 1800's I think as they had a daughter Barbara who was born in Melvich 1811.
That's the only information I have as i am now into parish registers and can't seem to find any record of their marriage or which MacKay/Mcleod line they come from.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

bertha
21-May-09, 21:05
Dear Phyllis

Have you ever used www.familysearch.org (http://www.familysearch.org) site. I have just checked it out and found your Mackays and Macleods. If you type in fathers name and mothers name and nothing else then press search you will find their whole family listed at the bottom of the page. Barbara,1811,John1814,Elspate 1816, Norman,1817 George 1820 and Alexander 1823. Actual birth dates are given and all born in Melvich.
Hope this helps you to get on the right lines.

If you also put in Margaret Mcleod and Scotland for all events a Mgt.came up as born 22/10/1786 in Reay. Her parents were Donald McLeod and Mary Swanson.
Good luck with your search - keep in touch
Chris

bertha
21-May-09, 23:35
Dear Phyllis,
I think I may have found your Mackays and Macleods see next message

phyllis ferguson
22-May-09, 10:26
Thanks Bertha,
i found their children beautifully. I have Barabar staying with her new husband in the home of john MacKay who i already suspected was her brother. Now I have the proof. I couldn't find Mgt Mcleod birth though but i don't have my specs on yet. I suspect I already have that as a possible in my files somewhere though. I'm not very familiar with Family search, but i'm learning fast.
Thanks again
Phyllis

CaithLynn
25-May-09, 20:37
For those of you interested in this George, he was the son of John Gunn b.1787 cleared as a 5 year old child with his family from Ousedale to Badbea in 1793. Please see our website and let us know if you want to be listed as a descendant of those who lived at Badbea. Here is an extract from our timeline around the time George was born:

1815 -- The Sheriff-Substitute for Sutherlandshire arrests Patrick Sellar for:willfull fire-raising...most aggravated circumstances of cruelty, if not murder. Not surprisingly, a jury of affluent landowners and merchants acquit Sellar in April of 1816. Soon after, Sellar continues clearing vast areas of Sutherlandshire.
1815 Napoleon defeated at Waterloo. William, brother of John Sutherland (John of Badbea) dies at Waterloo.
1816 George is born Badbea, to John and Marion
1816 Income Tax abolished
1817 Potato famine kills thousands in Ireland

Lynn
http://www.badbeafamilies.co.uk

Bruce_H
25-May-09, 22:26
Your link does not work for me Lynn...

scotsannie
26-May-09, 18:01
Nor me.Tried it 4 times now.

bertha
26-May-09, 20:14
Site is www.badbeafamilies.com (http://www.badbeafamilies.com) and not co.uk.

Bruce_H
27-May-09, 00:13
Nice site! Found a picture of a relative up there and his family!

Bruce