PDA

View Full Version : Killer A9

bekisman
16-Nov-10, 20:08
Going down to the south (Cornwall and Lancs.) for our holiday on 22nd Oct, Mrs Beks and I were held up at Faskally for four hours - whilst the carnage was cleared after the death of three people on this part of the A9..
Yesterday on the 15th November; on our way home, roadside police warnings said there was an accident south of Dalwhinne and the A9 was closed - appears a two-vehicle fatal; two deceased this time. Put ourselves up in Perth's Broxton Travelodge overnight..
Next morning noticed on the Lodges TV that a truck had overturned at the junction of the A889/A9 at Dalwhinne, but a lane was still open, so we set off..
Just before Blair Atholl we read a Police warning sign: 'Accident,A9 closed, take alternative route' Hmm there ain't an alternative route!, so carried on until half way up the duel carriageway of Drumochter were bought to a halt be traffic - waited an hour and slowly moved off to see that a large truck had crashed, difficult to ascertain why but deep gauges out of the embankment - seems this accident occurred in the early hours; 6am?.tired driver?.
Being a very regular traveller over 'the hump' Inverness to Perth and vice-versa, have a very fair impression of this so-called Trunk Road.. It has always astounded me that this 100 mile+ section of the A9 does not have service stations. It appears that thirty years ago when the road was rerouted, the Councils decided to not allow such refreshment areas (even little burger/tea vans) to be on the A9, as they wanted to help these 'by-passed communities'.
This prohibition was supposed to last for 29 years to allow these 'by-passed communities' to adjust. What happened? certain Neanderthal Councillors voted to allow this stupidity to continue - in spite of Police, AA, RAC urging and the fact that the A9 is THE ONLY MAJOR ROAD IN UK not to have refreshment stops along it's route - does anyone honestly expect a huge truck to turn off the A9 and make a couple of miles detour to find a cafe - which may or may not be open? Common sense - well lacking in Councillors - dictates not.. Doing a couple of hours over that route is no fun at night.

Anyone notice these "Tiredness Kills: take a break" signs, what a sad and pathetic joke as our headlights pick out the words.

The initial fatal we witnessed was near Faskally, don't know if anyone is familiar with the mis-leading signs down there? But going south, on the A9 past Blair Atholl then down the duel carriageway at killiecrankie. After the end of the Duel Carriageway there's a short section of single lanes before the turn-off for Pitlochry, and there is a large white sign with a blue arrow - which upon first impression is a duel carriageway sign. But it ain't!- some moronic road planner put in a couple of hundred feet of duel road, which has caught many a driver - I've seen vehicles who assumed it WAS a duel carriageway and pulled out to overtake to instantly realise it was not and attempt to come back in - saw today testimony of skid marks and detritus of vehicles, strewn along the edge..

Five killed.. misleading signs, lack of dual carriageways, lack of roadside refreshment, these three lane 'over-taking' sections which, with a light dusting of snow, demarcation is obliterated..

The A9? an embarrassment to Scotland :(

George Brims
16-Nov-10, 21:18
Don't bother getting off into any of those bypassed communities after mid-evening, as nothing ever seems to be open, except pubs. Just one decent service area half way up would make a lot of difference. Or even let mobile vans park a few places. I still remember the guy that used to stop at the top of Drumochter.

ducati
16-Nov-10, 22:05
Like you Beks, I use this road at night, 6 hours into a 9 hour drive it can be very taxing. I have had one near miss when (travelling at 70mph) a lorry overtook me than screeched to a halt on the wrong side of the road. I assume he had fallen asleep and woken up just before he hit my back end :eek:

Corrie 3
16-Nov-10, 22:21
I cant find a lot of fault with the road itself.....Now drivers, thats the main problem!!!

C3....:eek:

sids
16-Nov-10, 22:28
Amateurs!

You should have driven it in the days when it took 12 hours to get to Edinburgh and the garage at Calvine made a fortune from callouts to fatal accidents under the rail bridge.

"Oncoming Traffic in Middle of Road."

Phill
16-Nov-10, 23:01
'Accident,A9 closed, take alternative route' Hmm there ain't an alternative route

U'ey - Dunkeld, Blairgowrie, Glenshee, Braemar, left at Bridge of Glairn, Tomahaish, Cock Bridge, Speybridge, Duthil, Bogroy - A9

We went from Perth, Blairgowrie and then the above route on Monday evening after the first smash. Interesting drive in the dark, maybe quite stunning in daylight.

changilass
16-Nov-10, 23:07
Last time we were down the road we had a lovely meal in Howies Bistro in Dunkeld, so there is places to stop if you look.

The road aint the problem, its the drivers.

sids
16-Nov-10, 23:07
It goes through St Louis, down through Missouri....

U'ey - Dunkeld, Blairgowrie, Glenshee, Braemar, left at Bridge of Glairn, Tomahaish, Cock Bridge, Speybridge, Duthil, Bogroy -.

Flagstaff Arizona, don't forget Winona, Kingsman, Barstow, San Bernadino........

John Little
16-Nov-10, 23:13
Welcome back B and P - veterans of the A9 run! Sounds like a dice with death. Been 3 years since I did the run - it is a long drive!

upolian
16-Nov-10, 23:13
As above,some drivers need to be recalled to resit license,ive witnessed some shocking driving going from wick to thurso! It's not the road that is the issue.

squidge
17-Nov-10, 00:24
I Think bekisman has a point. During the summer I can be driving that road every weekend. Down Friday after work and up Sunday evening after a show has finished and the packing up has been done. The lack of rest stops can be a real problem. Leaving the central belt at six or after on a Sunday even in the summer means that once you pass Perth there is almost nothing. Seasoned travellers we make sure we are stocked up but finding a cuppa would be nice. Travelling with kids means a need to stop for a wee more than once too. Last weekend we came up from Pitlochry leaving about 7.30pm. Needless to say 3 yr old needs a wee. It was frankly terrifying to sit in a lay-by whilst daddy took Him for his wee. The traffic thundered past scaring the bejeesus out of me. There are not enough lay-bys which pull you right off the road either.

That said some of the driving was horrendous. I was left open mouthed by the ignorance of slow moving traffic which allowed a queue to build up and just encouraged chance takers. I was horrified by one particular driver pulling a trailer who carried out three of the worst overtaking manoeuvres I have ever seen and the impatience of people knows no bounds. I like to put my foot down when the road conditions allow it but crikey, there was a guy in an Audi passed me like I was doing 30 when I was in fact up at 70.

Drivers are of course responsible for their driving but the people that plan routes and ignore the calls for dualling, also have a responsibility to minimise risk. Rest stops would do this and could help save lives

The Pepsi Challenge
17-Nov-10, 00:53
As above,some drivers need to be recalled to resit license,ive witnessed some shocking driving going from wick to thurso! It's not the road that is the issue.

Couldn't agree more.

Jeid
17-Nov-10, 03:55
I often make trips down the A9 to Glasgow and now to Edinburgh. It's a bit of a nightmare indeed. People driving slowly are just as bad as the people driving fast. Dualling the road should save a lot of lives.

I usually drive down on a Friday evening and travel back on a Sunday. Going down can be a bit scary but coming home is less so.

I drove back from Edinburgh last Tuesday night after 11pm, just lorries on the road. The road being closed at Pitlochry was confusing, the diversion wasn't the best.

theone
17-Nov-10, 05:50
I've seen many people caught out at that little section of "dual carriageway".

A few hundred yards before it there's a "dual carriageway 1 mile ahead" sign that misleads people.

I've often wondered why the road was built that way.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
17-Nov-10, 07:42
Like you Beks, I use this road at night, 6 hours into a 9 hour drive it can be very taxing. I have had one near miss when (travelling at 70mph) a lorry overtook me than screeched to a halt on the wrong side of the road. I assume he had fallen asleep and woken up just before he hit my back end :eek:

mostly I think you talk a load of sense but how on earth did a lorry overtake you doing 70?

bekisman
17-Nov-10, 09:54
Last time we were down the road we had a lovely meal in Howies Bistro in Dunkeld, so there is places to stop if you look.

The road aint the problem, its the drivers.

My point; what's available during the night? Howies closes at 10pm..

changilass
17-Nov-10, 10:11
Just been back and checked, and from what I can work out, the stretch we are discussing is from Perth to Inverness.

There is services at both of these cities and its only a couple of hours between the two, surely you can stop for a wee break at either end and if a stop is required in the middle somewhere, then pull off and have a flask.

A llittle bit of planning and its not a problem.

bekisman
17-Nov-10, 11:46
Just been back and checked, and from what I can work out, the stretch we are discussing is from Perth to Inverness.

There is services at both of these cities and its only a couple of hours between the two, surely you can stop for a wee break at either end and if a stop is required in the middle somewhere, then pull off and have a flask.

A llittle bit of planning and its not a problem.

"a little bit of planning" - my whole point is that one should not have to do a 'little bit of planning'- on any other trunk road in the UK, if one feels like a break, one pulls into a service area - whether it is 10pm or 2am..
Our trip south between these two points took us six hours, 'fraid did not have 'a flask' with us.. please advise locations of eateries in Inverness and Perth at 3am?
Our overall journey north originated 400 miles south - so a wee bit difficult to 'plan' a stop if we're - like we often do - going over during the night and find the route blocked.. do you actually have an objection to services being on the A9?
Having many years experiencing the aftermath of road 'accidents' - in my mind any improvement to road safety is welcome - it's a great pity that Police advice was ignored.

I see Howies has double yellow lines outside - where about do Truckers park their wagons?

Dadie
17-Nov-10, 12:06
We often go down the road overnight.
Setting off about midnight so the kids sleep on the journey.
And we dont arrive too early.
But its usually the stretch between Inverness and Perth that is the worst.
There is nothing open in Inverness for a stop...and by the time you get to Perth its too far really.
Same on the way up ..only stop is Perth...until you reach home!
But south of perth there is stops open 24hrs nearly every 1/2 hour if not less!
And yes we go prepared with a flask, sandwiches, sweeties, bottles, juice and a potty etc!

Whitewater
17-Nov-10, 12:26
The A9 between Inverness and Perth is not a good road and it helps to make bad drivers worse. We should all be gurning about lack of facilities, there are none. It is OK to plan and take a flask with you, but that is no substitute for a service station, where you can park safely, stretch your legs, go to the toilet, and have a pleasant sit down with good cup of coffee in warm surroundings.

The road was very badly designed, it is so confusing, half the time you are busy trying to remember if you are on a stretch of dual carriageway or not. That sort of thing does not lead to confident driving no matter what standard of driver you are. I must admit that I am much more confident driving north of Inverness simply because I know that it is a terrible road and I treat it accordingly. South of Inverness the driving is misleading, some areas you get the impression you are on a motorway and before you know it you are back on a single road. This does not lead to good positive driving.

Corrie 3
17-Nov-10, 13:27
The road was very badly designed, it is so confusing, half the time you are busy trying to remember if you are on a stretch of dual carriageway or not. That sort of thing does not lead to confident driving no matter what standard of driver you are.
Absolute rubbish!!
When the time comes when you cant remember if you are on a single or dual carriageway is the time to give up driving!!!

Gronnuck
17-Nov-10, 14:48
I must admit to not being a regular traveller on the A9 between Perth and Inverness but I know there are numbered laybys. Some of them quite spacious and take you away from the road where you can at least stretch your legs. There is also a place for a break at the Ralia cafe.
The road is well know for not being perfect and there is a 60 MPH speed limit. But we all know that the real 'killer' is the numptie driver who either drives too fast, lacks concentration or doesn't give a fig about anyone other than themselves.
No one should pretend the drive between Perth and Inverness is a doddle. If they adhere to the speed limit and drive defensively they should be able to cope.

loganbiffy
17-Nov-10, 15:01
Being from Stirling, I have been up and down this road most of my life, I dare not even think how many times I have travelled the A9.

Thurso to Inverness is a nasty drive, even more so on a bus which I have done countelss times.
I agree, there should be refreshments put in place somewhere along the line, at least 2 after Perth to Thurso. In this day and age it's hard to believe there aren't any.

I too have seen a high number of fatal accidents whilst travelling this road, while tiredness is absolutely a factor, I also have seen boy racer types who clearly think they are invincible end up in fatal crashes.

bekisman
17-Nov-10, 16:04
"A 30-year ban on service stations along the main road to and from the Highlands could soon change in an attempt to improve safety.
The ruling by Highland Council was put in place on the A9 to protect shops, garages and hotels in places like Newtonmore and Carrbridge. The council and Highlands and Islands Enterprise have now commissioned independent consultants to look at the impact of service stations on local economies.

The report is due to be published this autumn.

Andrew Kirk, of the Cairn Hotel in Carrbridge, Strathspey, one of the communities bypassed by the A9, said that already struggling businesses could find it difficult to survive if the policy was relaxed.
"The police are concerned about road safety, but I'm not convinced that more roadside services will help the situation," he said.
"There are some places on the A9, such as Tomatin and Bruar, where these services exist but where there have also been horrific accidents."

Mr Kirk believes that better signs, toilets and picnic areas are needed. A council spokesman said it was now "appropriate" to review the policy, but he added that no decisions would be made until "we have done our homework".

Badenoch and Strathspey councillor Basil Dunlop said: "The A9 is too long a stretch from Perth to Inverness without road side facilities, which is unlike other trunk roads. "So, it has been thought for road safety reasons, among others, there should be more facilities to encourage motorists to have a coffee break and refresh themselves."

Fatigue prevention AA spokesman Neil Greig said rest areas on the continental model were the key to the future but he that councils and the executive would have to give financial support.

"I think the executive needs to put money in, these facilities are all about, tourist information, preventing fatigue and drive comfort," said Mr Greig.
The investigation will take in the views of visitors as they exit car parks and resting places to establish driver attitude and their awareness of community based facilities.

A spokeswoman for the Scottish Executive said it would consider any recommendations from Highland Council regarding roadside developments on the A9. She added that work was ongoing into upgrading lay-bys on the road and examining the potential for rest and picnic areas along it."

Oh blast! this was published in July 2003.. and yet Councillors still maintained their position; "no Services" but Basil Dunlop seems to be in the real world.. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3106133.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3106133.stm)

ducati
17-Nov-10, 16:54
mostly I think you talk a load of sense but how on earth did a lorry overtake you doing 70?

I dunno :eek:

northener
17-Nov-10, 18:36
Absolute rubbish!!
When the time comes when you cant remember if you are on a single or dual carriageway is the time to give up driving!!!

I've got to disagree with you up to a point there, C3.

The section heading North from Pitlochry up to about Moy can be confusing in the dark if you've been travelling for a long period of time. If you're driving on 'autopilot' on a long journey* it's very easy to momentarily got confused as to wether you're on a dual or not - I've done it myself. For a tired driver in an unfamiliar area the consequences could be disastrous.

And yup, take a break, know all about it...but driver error happens to us all.

*be honest everyone, I bet there isn't a driver here on a long haul who hasn't at some stage realised they can't remember a thing about the last couple of miles.......

Mall67
17-Nov-10, 18:51
The A9 between Inverness and Perth is not a good road and it helps to make bad drivers worse. We should all be gurning about lack of facilities, there are none. It is OK to plan and take a flask with you, but that is no substitute for a service station, where you can park safely, stretch your legs, go to the toilet, and have a pleasant sit down with good cup of coffee in warm surroundings.

The road was very badly designed, it is so confusing, half the time you are busy trying to remember if you are on a stretch of dual carriageway or not. That sort of thing does not lead to confident driving no matter what standard of driver you are. I must admit that I am much more confident driving north of Inverness simply because I know that it is a terrible road and I treat it accordingly. South of Inverness the driving is misleading, some areas you get the impression you are on a motorway and before you know it you are back on a single road. This does not lead to good positive driving.

Let us know when your on the road and we can stay clear. Can't you read signs? And surely cars coming towards you in the opposite lane would tell you that you are on a single carriageway.
The road north of Inverness is fine until you get to Brora then it gets better. How many bad accidents do you hear of north of Inverness?

changilass
17-Nov-10, 19:16
Most people are saying how bad the Perth/Inverness stretch is, so why are they not giving it the same consideration they give to the Inverness/North section?

If folks drive to road conditions, instead of driving like loonies then we wouldn't be having this conversation. If you know there aint any break stops on a certain section of road, then plan yours breaks for either end of that section.

Inverness/North is a longer stretch and there aint any services on that section. but folks manage.

bekisman
17-Nov-10, 19:18
Most people are saying how bad the Perth/Inverness stretch is, so why are they not giving it the same consideration they give to the Inverness/North section?

If folks drive to road conditions, instead of driving like loonies then we wouldn't be having this conversation. If you know there aint any break stops on a certain section of road, then plan yours breaks for either end of that section.

Inverness/North is a longer stretch and there aint any services on that section. but folks manage.

Sigh; I give up, Foulis, Skiach services, Tomich Restaurant, Tall Pines Restaurant et al :confused

Corrie 3
17-Nov-10, 20:32
I've got to disagree with you up to a point there, C3.

The section heading North from Pitlochry up to about Moy can be confusing in the dark if you've been travelling for a long period of time. If you're driving on 'autopilot' on a long journey* it's very easy to momentarily got confused as to wether you're on a dual or not - I've done it myself. For a tired driver in an unfamiliar area the consequences could be disastrous.

And yup, take a break, know all about it...but driver error happens to us all.

*be honest everyone, I bet there isn't a driver here on a long haul who hasn't at some stage realised they can't remember a thing about the last couple of miles.......
What is "Auto pilot" Northerner? My car isnt fitted with that, I am the only "pilot" and its up to me to read the signs..."Dual carriageway ahead".."End of Dual carriageway"...I am responsible for my car, myself, my passengers and the lives of other road users and if I ever thought that I had a problem not knowing the carriageway I was on then I would hand in my licence immediately. I coudnt live with the consequences if my standard of driving was responsible for someones death.
I expect far too many are fiddling with their mobile phones or CD's and then miss seeing the sign, these are the ones that usually think they are invincible.

Jeid
17-Nov-10, 21:10
Places to stop on the A9 North of Inverness are aplenty, perhaps not after 9pm, but during the day it's fine. Someone even said there's nowehre to stop in Inverness late at night... really? It's not ideal, but Tesco is open, it's got a toilet and it's a place to get a drink/fresh air/food/stretch legs.

A9 south of Inverness is perhaps not as easy, but as someone said, Ralia is there as is Bruar. I always stop in Inverness and Broxden on the way down to Glasgow and it serves me well.

Admittedly, a petrol stop between Inverness and Perth might benefit others, especially if they don't know the road.

Vehicles moving slow are particularly dangerous on this road, as someone stated, people are more likely to take risks when frustration builds at slow moving vehicles. There's plenty of lay bys to pul into to let the 60mph traffic get past, they should probably take heed of what's behind them.

Not knowing if you're on a dual carriageway or not... really? I mean seriously, how hard is it to figure out. If you've got any sense about you and you can problem solve.. a simple process of elimination will figure it out. Yeah, I've driven along and let the past few miles pass me by, but I know when I'm on a dual carriageway and when I'm not.

As for the road being better north of Brora, I don't know about that. The bit of road this side of Brora isn't great, Berriedale is a nightmare, the bit along from Portgower to Helmsdale is bad and has a history of road accidents. The bit of road north of Berriedale towards Dunbeath also isn't the best.

It's an easy thing to say "oh it's always the idiots" but I'm sure there are plenty of accidents that happen on that road to perfectly safe drivers. It's a terrible bit of road. At least they're doing something about it which will make it safer and quicker for everyone.

northener
17-Nov-10, 21:17
What is "Auto pilot" Northerner? My car isnt fitted with that, I am the only "pilot" and its up to me to read the signs..."Dual carriageway ahead".."End of Dual carriageway"...I am responsible for my car, myself, my passengers and the lives of other road users and if I ever thought that I had a problem not knowing the carriageway I was on then I would hand in my licence immediately. I coudnt live with the consequences if my standard of driving was responsible for someones death.
I expect far too many are fiddling with their mobile phones or CD's and then miss seeing the sign, these are the ones that usually think they are invincible.

Noble words.

In a perfect world, driver error wouldn't creep in. But all drivers make mistakes........

Corrie 3
17-Nov-10, 22:16
Noble words.

In a perfect world, driver error wouldn't creep in. But all drivers make mistakes........
They are not noble words Northener, its called common sense. Yes I have had accidents were its been my fault but they have been at very, very low speeds. When you are bombing down any road at 60-70 mph you really do have to concentrate and keep your wits about you and also dont push yourself over the tired limit.
Perhaps they should put up some new signs on the A9...."This is a real bad road, extra care needs to be taken"...or something like that!

C3...:roll:

ducati
17-Nov-10, 22:18
Yes I have had accidents were its been my fault but they have been at very, very low speeds.
C3...

:eek::eek::eek:

Corrie 3
17-Nov-10, 23:05
:eek::eek:
Dont be shocked Ducati...my last one was in Tesco car park when the guy opposite decided to back out at exactly the same time as me. I had checked my mirror and then kept checking left and right as I backed out and Keeerrrunch !!!
Not really life threatening !!
(OK, I will be the laughing stock of the Org for letting that one out)....!!

C3.....:roll:

bekisman
18-Nov-10, 00:17
Places to stop on the A9 North of Inverness are aplenty, perhaps not after 9pm, but during the day it's fine. Someone even said there's nowehre to stop in Inverness late at night... really? It's not ideal, but Tesco is open, it's got a toilet and it's a place to get a drink/fresh air/food/stretch legs.

A9 south of Inverness is perhaps not as easy, but as someone said, Ralia is there as is Bruar. I always stop in Inverness and Broxden on the way down to Glasgow and it serves me well.

Admittedly, a petrol stop between Inverness and Perth might benefit others, especially if they don't know the road.

Vehicles moving slow are particularly dangerous on this road, as someone stated, people are more likely to take risks when frustration builds at slow moving vehicles. There's plenty of lay bys to pul into to let the 60mph traffic get past, they should probably take heed of what's behind them.

Not knowing if you're on a dual carriageway or not... really? I mean seriously, how hard is it to figure out. If you've got any sense about you and you can problem solve.. a simple process of elimination will figure it out. Yeah, I've driven along and let the past few miles pass me by, but I know when I'm on a dual carriageway and when I'm not.

As for the road being better north of Brora, I don't know about that. The bit of road this side of Brora isn't great, Berriedale is a nightmare, the bit along from Portgower to Helmsdale is bad and has a history of road accidents. The bit of road north of Berriedale towards Dunbeath also isn't the best.

It's an easy thing to say "oh it's always the idiots" but I'm sure there are plenty of accidents that happen on that road to perfectly safe drivers. It's a terrible bit of road. At least they're doing something about it which will make it safer and quicker for everyone.

Yes, agree, there are places to stop on the A9 North of Inverness, perhaps not after 9pm, but during the day it's fine..
My original point was the lack of places open overnight. Bruar "We are open every day of the week, from 9.30 am to 5.00pm from mid-November to mid-May, and from 8.30am till 6.00pm in the summer season"

I remember when Mrs Beks and I did our LEJOG cycle in 1980, we found a snack wagon in a lay-by north of the Dalwinie turnoff - and back then we were surprised, as coming from a faraway place where the trunk roads are serviced - to be told by the chap running it, that he was shortly to be turfed off by the Council!..

changilass
18-Nov-10, 00:49
Who is gonna subsidise this services you want, cos they sure as hell won't make enough money to stay open nights, there just aint the traffic.

Also, who is gonna decide where it goes, cos I doubt you will get folks to agree on the right place for it either.

northener
18-Nov-10, 07:48
Dont be shocked Ducati...my last one was in Tesco car park when the guy opposite decided to back out at exactly the same time as me. I had checked my mirror and then kept checking left and right as I backed out and Keeerrrunch !!!
Not really life threatening !!
(OK, I will be the laughing stock of the Org for letting that one out)....!!

C3.....:roll:

But you didn't see the large square thing coming towards you.:Razz

Which is my point - we all have momentary lapses of concentration, luckily for you it was only a large easily spotted vehicle that was behind you and not a child wandering out.........

Like I said, we all make mistakes, the speed is irrelevant.

_Ju_
18-Nov-10, 08:36
Yes I have had accidents were its been my fault but they have been at very, very low speeds. When you are bombing down any road at 60-70 mph you really do have to concentrate and keep your wits about you and also dont push yourself over the tired limit.

I have been driving for 15 years now. In that time I have not had any accidents ( though I hit black ice once, going up Berriedale in the very early hours, and did one full skidding rotation, ending with the car pointing uphill again, but luckily there was no other traffic- that is as close as I have come to an accident here in the UK). With work I have had to drive up and down the A9 in all weathers, often in the very small hours of the morning. I have done this for 8 years with an average of 6 trips down to Edinburgh or Glasgow per year. Many more just to Inverness. During these trips automatic pilot inevitably kicks in. Automatic pilot is when the descisions you make in your driving come without effort or even concious thought. The gear changes, attention to the performance of your vehicle, evaluation of yours and others speed, breaking distances and observation of the road are done without thinking about it consciously or with effort. It is what happens after you pass your drivers license and when you get more comfortable driving and less panicked about the everything and everyone on the road. As Northerner said, automatic pilot kicks in and there have been miles of road that I cannot remember clearly because nothing noteworthy happened on them. And that is with a clean license and no accident ever (knock-on-wood), be it through my fault or another persons fault.
As for the A 9 being confusing: I think it is, especially at night. Whenever I am on the bit of dual south of Inverness, where the north and south bound parts of the road are not on the same level, I always tend to think I am already off the dual bit before I actually am at night time. I have also been on parts that are dual for my direction, to have people overtaking on a single lane going the opossite direction, often making those using the dual to overtake to hurridly pull back. Totally insane driving, especially when it is dark.

Dadie
18-Nov-10, 09:49
Dont even think you can get a coffee in tescos in Inverness at 2am!

squidge
18-Nov-10, 10:16
Ju is right. I drove around 22 000 miles last year and I still find the bit of the dual carriageway often makes me check myself and think whether I am still on it or whether it has reverted back to single carriageway. It is however nowhere near as confusing as driving over the ord in fog. I thought i had entered the twilight zone and was going to be driving there for all eternity. Anyway It is over ten years sine my last accident and that was a bump not anything serious... Altho it was most definitely my fault. :(

In the dark and especially if you don't know the road, there is nothing to show you which lay bys take you away from the carriageway. In France, on the autoroutes they have rest stops. Well lit areas with loos and fresh drinking water. There is usually a grassed area so you can stretch your legs, these are unmanned and something like that would do the job.

We can all congratulate ourselves on how smart and organised we are planning our journey properly and being aware of the difficulties of that particular road, however the fact remains that in the last month at least four people have died driving the a9. I personally would rather there were proper facilities to allow rest for those drivers who need them than face going round a bend to see a driver in a car on my side of the road because he is tired, didnt know the road and couldn't find anywhere safe to stop.
Surely anything that can minimise the chances of accidents should be being considered because we are unlikely to see the a9 dualled completely during the next few years.