PDA

View Full Version : Advice from greyhound owners please

Liz
10-Nov-10, 19:50
Did anyone see the programme 'The Hour' tonight?

There was a lady representing the SSPCA tonight who had a lurcher needing a home.
I feel she put off prospective owners by saying they need two long walks and one short walk per day!:roll:
Also, that people with a flat or small home couldn't have one.

Am I correct in saying they only need one long walk per day and possibly a couple of runs per week and would be okay in small house or flat as long as they had somewhere nice and comfy to lie and sleep?

Sarah
10-Nov-10, 19:52
I never saw that! I will have to watch it on the Catch Up on STV to have a nosey. Greyhounds don't require a lot of walking, you are right :)

Some Lurchers do require a bit more depending on the breeds in them, but even so, I wouldn't say they are not suitable for a flat/small home. Of course I guess it depends on the individual dog!

Might see the program, and email them to ask why they said it. Too many greyhounds and Lurchers in rescue to have comments like that!

Liz
10-Nov-10, 19:58
Thanks for confirming what I thought Sarah.

I was shouting at the telly as what she said will really put people off rehoming lurchers and greyhounds as she is confirming the myths that people have re these lovely dogs.

I have contacted The Hour and would be great if you would as well.:D

teenybash
10-Nov-10, 21:09
I saw this and the young woman certainly did not give the right impression as my previous two lurcher ladies never needed anymore than any other doggies and both reached over 15 years old. My present two youngsters will be treated the same and I am sure they too will live long happy lives.
It is so easy to put emphasis on the wrong thing and I think she done that. Hope the lovely lad finds a good home with a big squishy sofa.:)

Liz
10-Nov-10, 23:14
Glad you agree with me Teenybash.

I think for someone who represented the SSPCA she should have got her facts right!:roll:

neelie
11-Nov-10, 22:52
my two lurchers get one walk /run every day when we are out for about an hour. the rest of the time they spend being lazy and sleeping. makes no difference where you live as long as they get the excercise that suits that dog.

Liz
11-Nov-10, 23:25
Cheers neelie.:D

It worries me that the SSPCA are not going to rehome many greyhounds and lurchers if others have the same attitude as this stupid woman!:roll:

Also, the fact that so many people watch 'The Hour' and this could put them off giving a home to this breed of dog.:(

Tatbabe
12-Nov-10, 15:23
I can only agree.
Don't know where some animal charities get their info from. Some Scottish greyhound charities wouldn't rehome to people living in a flat and wouldn't even consider someone working full time - don't understand the latter because you can arrange for a dog walker nowadays.

I have a male greyhound now, and I had a female before who sadly died in a car accident.

I used to live in a flat and both dogs were fine - Sam even gets along with my two cats.

Before I got a greyhound I did some research on the internet and several websites state a minimum of 20min three times a day.

That's what I started with when they came out of the kennel where they only got a run in the paddock midday, one has to build up the duration of walks slowly.
They are fast, but only on short distance.
My dog never made it to the races as he was not showing enough interest.

I take him out for about 20min early morning, then he gets at least 30min or more during lunch and then 20-30min at 4pm with the last "wee pee walk" :) around 10pm.
The afternoon walks will be later once days get longer.

Depending on where I walk him I take a toy with me, and when in an empty field he chases the toy several times. He also likes me to just run and he runs along. He's now so confident that he sometimes just speeds off (in an enclosed field) for a few laps when he feels like it.

I can only recommend to rehome a greyhound - they're so calm and like other dogs give you all their love once they've settled in and feel loved.

Leanne
12-Nov-10, 18:47
Lurchers don't need much exercise if let off lead - 15/20 minute 'blast' is enough for mine (4 :eek:) a couple of times a day. If they don't get the 'blast' though they can get very destructive - the amount of time she mentioned is probably about right for lead walks... The best way of exercising a lurcher or grey is to get another - just stand in the middle while they do laps around you ;)