PDA

View Full Version : i-phone deals?

changilass
02-Nov-10, 22:33
For the nit pickers, first let me say, I have googled and so has hubby.

The cheepest deal I can find is £99 for the phone and £30 a month contract.

Anyone know of any better deals?

... and more to the point, willing to share them.

Thanks in advance
Changi

How do folks afford them at those prices, especially kids?

Gronnuck
02-Nov-10, 22:37
Will you be able to use your i-phone's internet facilities (e-mail and web browsing) up here? I didn't think the county had adequate coverage :confused

changilass
02-Nov-10, 22:40
The time when it will really come in handy is when travelling, as that takes you nearer to places you are able to use it then it would be worth it.

davem
02-Nov-10, 23:00
The gadget show website is supposed to have a review of a selection of good phone deals. There are a fair few wifi hotspots you can use the things in up here too

mum23boys
02-Nov-10, 23:03
I got mine through Tesco as it was the only one with a one years contract was £100 for the phone an £35 a month but worked out cheaper as only 12 month contract dont know if anyone else doing that now but they were the only ones when I got mine :)

changilass
02-Nov-10, 23:07
Once the 12 month contract is up can you then get a cheeper contract with someone else or are they locked onto one network?

LMS
02-Nov-10, 23:58
Will you be able to use your i-phone's internet facilities (e-mail and web browsing) up here? I didn't think the county had adequate coverage :confused

iPhone 3 and iPhone 4 work fine up here.

radiohead
02-Nov-10, 23:58
i believe after the 12 months contract the phone can be changed to a payg deal or the £30 unlimited tariff which is a month to month tariff. That gives upto £500 worth of usage. Tesco uses the O2 carrier so that is no good if you are in a poor O2 area.

dragonfly
12-Nov-10, 22:52
Does the 3 network work up here as they have a good deal on i-phone 4 at the moment, £69 one off payment and £35 a month

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
12-Nov-10, 23:03

Plenty coverage in the county for web browsing and picking up e-mail - the o2 I phone I have is MAGIC.........

And to the OP how do people afford it ??? £99 for phone and £30 a month is an absolutely fantastic deal for Iphone - how could you afford not too - if your phone useage and requirements are such that you require such a beast of a phone these fugures aren't outwith the realms of sensible.....

I pay £45 a month for mine and still think its great value for money for the useage it gets - having been with o2 contracts for 9 years and having over 20 phones and various contracts don't think i'll be doing anything but upgrading to the latest iphone after this one's day!!

The time when it will really come in handy is when travelling, as that takes you nearer to places you are able to use it then it would be worth it.

you are dead right there though - when travelling the google maps and navigation app is brilliant.....far better than tom tom- obviously not suitable though if you are driving - ok if you have passenger to navigate with it

Phill
12-Nov-10, 23:14
I can't really help with contract costs but if you want to use the iphone to call people and send / receive email - forget it!

Great for apps, great to use but as a phone or email device utter crap regardless of your location.

And battery life is bobbins.

Just my tuppence worth.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
12-Nov-10, 23:15
I can't really help with contract costs but if you want to use the iphone to call people and send / receive email - forget it!

Great for apps, great to use but as a phone or email device utter crap regardless of your location.

Just my tuppence worth.

totally disagree with your sentiment except yeah the battery life is PANTs!!!!

sandyr1
12-Nov-10, 23:35
Any dropped calls? Lots here....
Blackberry 9700 most reliable!!!

Kodiak
12-Nov-10, 23:42
I would check out the HTC Phone before you get an i-phone. Even Jason off the Gadget Show said he now thinks the HTC Phone is better than the i-phone and he has been daft about the i-phone for ages.

My son got an HTC Phone from vodafone on contract for £25.00 a month with no advance payment. He is on the internet all the time and there is no problem with any of the services here in Caithness. Have a look at the HTC site :-

http://www.htc.com/uk/product/hd7/specification.html

teddybear1873
12-Nov-10, 23:57
I would check out the HTC Phone before you get an i-phone. Even Jason off the Gadget Show said he now thinks the HTC Phone is better than the i-phone and he has been daft about the i-phone for ages.

My son got an HTC Phone from vodafone on contract for £25.00 a month with no advance payment. He is on the internet all the time and there is no problem with any of the services here in Caithness. Have a look at the HTC site :-

http://www.htc.com/uk/product/hd7/specification.html

I'm also looking into the HTC Evo. From what I've seen, It's way better than the I-Phone. Iv'e had a Blackberry for over a year and I find web-browsing and e-mail is very good.

There's also the Windows phone just released, not too sure if that is any good or not.

Kodiak
13-Nov-10, 00:08
My Son and his Wife both had Blackberry's but just 10 days ago they both changed to the New Windows HTC Phone. I am really Jealous as it really is fantastic. By what he has shown me it is way better than the i-phone and it costs a lot less as well.

teddybear1873
13-Nov-10, 00:13
My Son and his Wife both had Blackberry's but just 10 days ago they both changed to the New Windows HTC Phone. I am really Jealous as it really is fantastic. By what he has shown me it is way better than the i-phone and it costs a lot less as well.

There was a big rumour over here that HTC is going to slash the prices (price war) just in time for xmas. I don't know if it's the same in the UK.

Kodiak
13-Nov-10, 00:19
There was a big rumour over here that HTC is going to slash the prices (price war) just in time for xmas. I don't know if it's the same in the UK.

Yes they have been cut as he got the top of the range HTC Windows Phone with Unlimited Internet connection, I have forgotten how many Minuts for Calls but it is a lot and the same with texts, the phone was free and the monthly charge is £25.00. This is £15.00 a month cheaper than the BlackBerry he had befoe and it has Loads of more features from windows and Google.

teddybear1873
13-Nov-10, 00:25
Yes they have been cut as he got the top of the range HTC Windows Phone with Unlimited Internet connection, I have forgotten how many Minuts for Calls but it is a lot and the same with texts, the phone was free and the monthly charge is £25.00. This is £15.00 a month cheaper than the BlackBerry he had befoe and it has Loads of more features from windows and Google.

I see mobile phones are still cheaper in the UK than the US. I pay $75 per month for unlimited data, text and calls. Rip of here.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
13-Nov-10, 09:12
I see mobile phones are still cheaper in the UK than the US. I pay $75 per month for unlimited data, text and calls. Rip of here.

well not really i'm £45 for unlimited data and mins and 2000 texts that can roll over...so not far off it...

Scarybiscuits03
13-Nov-10, 17:32

Just my tuppence worth.

I've just upgraded to an iphone 4 and its great for email and calls and also the battery life is much longer than the iphone 3, which was also good for mailing:confused

*Martin*
13-Nov-10, 18:41
I got mine through Tesco as it was the only one with a one years contract was £100 for the phone an £35 a month but worked out cheaper as only 12 month contract dont know if anyone else doing that now but they were the only ones when I got mine :)

Where did you get this deal? When I look it's quite a large amount up front for the mobile even with the £35 a month contract.