PDA

View Full Version : and the band played....

cuddlepop
29-Oct-10, 16:03
I must be getting old because no body uses that expression "in the younger generation" for "tall stories".
Anyone any idea where it came from?:confused

Anyone remember any others?.

Crackeday
29-Oct-10, 16:06
I must be getting old because no body uses that expression "in the younger generation" for "tall stories".
Anyone any idea where it came from?:confused

Anyone remember any others?.
I believe it came from the sinking of the Titanic, when the band played on even though they were sinking!!!!

cuddlepop
29-Oct-10, 16:12
I believe it came from the sinking of the Titanic, when the band played on even though they were sinking!!!!

Oh,my granny said that and we assumed she meant she didnt believe what we were telling her.

Now it looks like we should have been looking out for "impending doom".:lol:

Shabbychic
29-Oct-10, 16:35
I thought you meant "The Band Played Believe it if You Like" rather than "The Band Played On".

I use the former all the time, but I don't know it's actual origin, although the statement is really quite self explanatory I suppose. :D

Aaldtimer
29-Oct-10, 16:56
I thought you meant "The Band Played Believe it if You Like" rather than "The Band Played On".

Yep, that's the way I remember it too Shabbyc!:D

Kevin Milkins
29-Oct-10, 18:17
And the band played Waltzing Mathilda (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPFjToKuZQM)

I thought it had something to do with the song written by Eric Bogle that described the futile 1915 war in Gallipoli.

It just happens to be one of my favourite songs by the Pogues

Aaldtimer
30-Oct-10, 02:53
And the band played Waltzing Mathilda (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPFjToKuZQM)

I thought it had something to do with the song written by Eric Bogle that described the futile 1915 war in Gallipoli.

It just happens to be one of my favourite songs by the Pogues

No KM, nothing to do with that song, the saying long pre-dates it.

BTW, that must be probably the worst version of the song that has ever been made...go to the Master, the man himself, Eric Bogle.

cuddlepop
30-Oct-10, 16:26
Looking it now I can see that maybe the saying ,"and the band played..." was about the musicians not really believing what was happening or about to happen.

Another one of mums favourites was,
"who do you think you are?your not on your fathers yaught"

Any idea about that one.:confused