PDA

View Full Version : What was your first long distance run?

Vistravi
19-Oct-10, 21:04
Mine will be on thursday as i am driving to ness :)

Looking forward to tackling berrydale for the first time:D

Next one will be in a week or so when we go down south to see family. Well hopefully it will be then ;) Depends on my partner's job for the timing.

I love driving and enjoy it immensely. If i could i'd learn to drive everything.

changilass
19-Oct-10, 21:39
I passed my test in Leeds at 11am and set off at 1pm to drive all the way up here for 2 weeks camping holiday, happy days lol.

annemarie482
19-Oct-10, 22:11
will tell you after thursday........if i pass!!:lol::roll:

Vistravi
20-Oct-10, 09:41

I have mine in november hopefully i pass like i want to lol.

Good luck tomorrow! I'm sure you'll pass no bother.

Paul_and_Anna
20-Oct-10, 09:49
My first long distance run?

When I was 11 and encountered the German Shepherds on guard at the Junk Yard. I'd have beaten Linford Christie that day ............

porshiepoo
20-Oct-10, 11:26
I love driving and I used to always drive from Boston to here and back again.

Times have changed though and despite medication I can't quite bring myself to trust this stupid Narcolepsy on long drives.
We have to get the girls to the Sick kids hospital in Edinburgh next month and though we've done it loads, I'm dreading it and certainly can't do it alone anymore. :(

Still love driving though - the independence and freedom from the shackles of housewife :lol:

The Flea
20-Oct-10, 12:38

When I was 11 and encountered the German Shepherds on guard at the Junk Yard. I'd have beaten Linford Christie that day ............

:lol: ..............

Dadie
20-Oct-10, 12:42
Helmsdale...to the denist for root canal treatment.
Doesnt sound very far but it was an ordeal...the dentist bit anyway:lol:

Kodiak
20-Oct-10, 13:08
My first long run was in the Summer of 1965 and I drove from Dundee to Blackpool in my Austin A30. Great little car this was as I all I ever did was to put petrol in one end and oil in the other. It had a top speed of 45 MPH going downhill with a tail wind. :Razz

upolian
20-Oct-10, 13:14
4 summers ago i jogged watten to wick via the back road and back out the main road with my mate,longest run ive done!

Errogie
20-Oct-10, 13:16
In 1966 I drove a BSA Bantam home to Caithness from Dorset.

It took two full days and I removed the "L" plates so I could use the small section of the M6 which was all it was at that time. About every 100 miles I clambered off the little motor bike and beat my arms and legs to restore circulation but the most memorable section was the evening descent of the Struie in early May when the smell of flowerng gorse bushes was thick enough to cut with a knife.

I've never forgotten that part of the journey.

Whitewater
20-Oct-10, 15:26
My first long run was more than 40yrs ago in my Australian days, I drove from Sydney to Townsville, took 3 days, I also drove Alice Springs to Darwin, not sure which was the longer, probably I think the Alice Springs trip, but it was much faster, I would not like to say what my average speed was, dead strait roads for 100s of miles and completely isolated so you can imagine the fun a young man could have in sports car, I enjoyed every minute of it. Now my longest runs appear to be limited the various city's of Scotland, but even now Mrs Whitewater insists we use our bus passes. I suppose she makes sense since we can travel free, but I still prefer to use the car whenever possible, I'm always hoping the bus time tables do not suit the particular assignments were travelling to.

Saveman
20-Oct-10, 15:48
Drove London to Wick last Sunday.

13.5 hours.

Bit tiring :eek:

jimbews
20-Oct-10, 15:59
Mine was in 1964 - still with L plates. Drove to Edinburgh.

Got whistled over by a policeman in Princes Street - well: I hadn't seen traffic lights before!!

On the way back, at night, parents fell asleep.
Then so did I, and wakened up on the Hempriggs straight doing about 80 (i.e. flat out) on the wrong side of the road.

Thank goodness the roads were really quiet these days: taught me a lesson!

im behind you
20-Oct-10, 16:01
sunday morning past. sitting on the bog for at least 40mins. thats the longest run ive done. dont wont to go threw that ordeal again.

suth13
20-Oct-10, 16:11
Mine will be on thursday as i am driving to ness :)

Looking forward to tackling berrydale for the first time:D

Next one will be in a week or so when we go down south to see family. Well hopefully it will be then ;) Depends on my partner's job for the timing.

I love driving and enjoy it immensely. If i could i'd learn to drive everything.
My first run was wick to portsmouth in a ford consul 2 ltr, 19 hrs pretty scarey.

mums angels
20-Oct-10, 18:00
Mine was to Wales on my own with 2 young kids in the car about 3 months after i passed my test , had a great time loved driving and the road from here to Inverness wasalways fun to drive but then i crashed 5 years ago and sadly dont enjoy driving at all anymore , even going to wick is a task .:( I have driven to Leeds / London places since i just dont enjoy it anymore hopefully one day i might again .

Vistravi
20-Oct-10, 18:48
Mine was to Wales on my own with 2 young kids in the car about 3 months after i passed my test , had a great time loved driving and the road from here to Inverness wasalways fun to drive but then i crashed 5 years ago and sadly dont enjoy driving at all anymore , even going to wick is a task .:( I have driven to Leeds / London places since i just dont enjoy it anymore hopefully one day i might again .

My mum had a blow out on the way to have the car serviced last year and she's not enjoyed driving since then. It can be pretty funny what excuses she uses to not drive lol. But in all seriousness it took her a few months to have the confidence to drive again. My stepfather pushed her back into the driver seat as he didn't want her to give up when she had spent so long getting her license. She drove to inverness last week with my stepsister and one of my younger brothers in the car for company and that in istelf is an achevement for her. I feel she wil get back what the blow out took away in time like you will in time.

George Brims
20-Oct-10, 20:46
Don't know my first but I know our longest. Southern California to near Medicine Hat, Alberta, with various bits of touring in Canada (Banff & Edmonton) and a side trip to Yellowstone on the way back. Overall 6,500 miles. Along with a shorter trip down to Mexico, and a wrong turn I took one day, we've done every single inch of Interstate 15. Hope to do the same for I-10 one day (Pacific coast in California to the Atlantic in Florida).
A couple of my wife's relatives from Inverness did the old Route 66 from Chicago to LA on Harleys earlier this year. Would like to do that one too (but in a sports car).
Our next big trip is planned (just don't know which year yet!) - we're going to drive to Alaska.

Blarney
20-Oct-10, 21:29

That's the way I read it too! LOL

I was going to reply that I'm OK on a short sprint but not built for long-distance!

Paul_and_Anna
20-Oct-10, 22:10
That's the way I read it too! LOL

I was going to reply that I'm OK on a short sprint but not built for long-distance!

LOL

I've had so many long driving journeys that I really wouldn't know where to start! Possibly Berkshire to Cannes in the South of France. Did that in one stint in a really old car, which I had thought might not make it across the Channel! The most tiring journey was definately Surrey to the North of Wales, all driven in horrendous conditions during some very bad storms. The part where I chose to divert through the Brecon beacons at night was particularly memorable! All carried out safely in an old Morris Minor! Great days, fond memories ......... :)

Paul.

Vistravi
20-Oct-10, 23:05
Helmsdale...to the denist for root canal treatment.
Doesnt sound very far but it was an ordeal...the dentist bit anyway:lol:

The dentist is always an ordeal ;)

Had 2 appointments this week already (One through my own choice as i forgot about an appointment and made another!) Had them on monday and tuesday. Drove to wick and back both days and so glad that hopefully for a while thats it for the dentist!