PDA

View Full Version : Dist Wick county Caithness Ancestors

janeytgee
17-Oct-10, 20:27
Hi All;

This is my first post on your forum and I look forward to many more. I am the family historian and my new daughter-in -law has asked for help tracing her Caithness ancestors,she has her Granmother's birth/cert and name is as follows;-
Jamesina Bruce;(b)3Oct/1900; Huddart Street,Pulteneytown,Wick,
Caithness; Parents; William Bruce;(Fisherman) & Ellen,M/S Sinclair,
they married 12Dec/1890,Latheron;

Any info on William & Ellen families greatly appreciate, Jamesina was 7th
of 9 children she is the only one we know of who came here to Canada
in 1920's,she worked as a maid for some rich family in Toronto and they had a summer home up in Muskoka,the family has pictures of her there,
funny thing 'her Canadian born son would end up in Muskoka in his own
retirement years,it's quite a story.

Kind regards;

Janey:cool:

daphne.van
01-Nov-10, 00:50
My grandparents lived in Huddart St Wick and left for NZ in 1924 with their family. They were Lilias and Alexander Clyne. They had Sinclair associations. They probably knew each other.

domino
01-Nov-10, 15:06
Daphne.van
could you tell me a bit more about your Alexander Clyne please.
I am interested in the Clynes and have lots of stuff on them

Peterd500
02-Nov-10, 23:31
My grandparents lived in Huddart St Wick and left for NZ in 1924 with their family. They were Lilias and Alexander Clyne. They had Sinclair associations. They probably knew each other.

Hi Daphne

Yes its me Peter, you emailed me in chch yesterday.

I have Alexander Sinclair CLYNE = Lillias Janet Thomson CLASS.

Lillias Janet Thomson CLASS was the daughter of Sutherland Gow CLASS & Margaret SINCLAIR.

Margaret SINCLAIR was a daughter of George SINCLAIR & Francisina SINCLAIR. George was a son of Alexander SINCLAIR & Elizabeth SUTHERLAND aka Betty MCRYRIE, son of James SINCLAIR the chamberlain & his first wife Anna ROBERTSON, son of Donald SINCLAIR the sailor & Catherine SINCLAIR, son of David SINCLAIR of Broynach & his second wife Janet EWING, grandson of James SINCLAIR 1st of Murkle & Elizabeth STEWART. Via a natural birth a few generations back, Francisina was descended from the Latheron Sinclairs going back to John 1st of Assery who was a natural son to James SINCLAIR 1st of Murkle.

Thomas SINCLAIR M.A. Edin. 1843-1912, styled our branch of the Sinclairs as the Broynach Sinclairs, of which he was one. His father George 1814-1891 was a farmer at Achinabest in Reay parish, son of John SINCLAIR & Barbara CORMACK, son of the chamberlain, son of the sailor, son of Broynach & Janet.

Sutherland Gow CLASS was son of Class CORNELIUS & Janet SUTHERLAND, daughter of Alexander SUTHERLAND & Elspeth GOW.

I have Alexander Sinclair CLYNE as the son of Alexander CLYNE & Catherine SINCLAIR, daughter of John SINCLAIR & Elizabeth DAVIDSON, daughter of Alexander DAVIDSON & Catherine DUNDAS,
son of William DAVISON & Elizabeth BARNIE. Not sure how good these links are.

Alexander CLYNE I have as the son of Alexander CLYNE & Catherine SUTHERLAND, son of Henry CLYNE & Katherine GUNN, et. al. but , again, I am not sure how good these links are.

I'm another descendant of the Broynach Sinclairs. My greatgrandfather Peter SINCLAIR who married Annie MCDONALD in Victoria Australia 1876 and went to New Zealand was baptised 1847 Wick Caithness (born at Hempriggs) to David SINCLAIR 1812-1891 & Catharine SINCLAIR 1822-1908, son of John SINCLAIR 1780-1857 & Barbara CORMACK 1786-1868, son of James SINCLAIR the chamberlain 1744-abt 1822 & his second wife Elspeth SINCLAIR, son of the sailor, son of David SINCLAIR of Broynach & his second wife Janet EWING.

Anyone who believes the Murkle section of John HENDERSON's well known book about Families of Caithness in which he says that Donald SINCLAIR the sailor had 1 son and five daughters, only one daughter of which was alive in 1767, will have to think again because Wick registers have heaps more issue to him, and I have corresponded with descendants of FIVE sons of the sailor who were all alive after 1767, William who went to the Black Isle in Ross, James the chamberlain (also a fisherman and salt maker) who lived at Sarclet, John a farmer who lived at Gansclett, Francis a farmer who lived at Ulbster and Robert a merchant at Wick town (a baker). There were other sons and several daughters.

Donald the sailor's wife Catherine SINCLAIR was the daughter of John SINCLAIR in Thrumster (& maybe Christina MUNRO). She had siblings Christina, Sidney & Ephraim. Christina married James SINCLAIR factor in Ulbster (I don't know his parents) and their granddaughter Elizabeth born in America (daughter of an officer in the independence war in America) married Alexander SINCLAIR whose parents were John SINCLAIR in Gansclett & Christian / Christina CALDER, son of the chamberlain. Ephraim had at least three issue (? maybe his wife was Jane ROSS) and lived at Rosemarkie in the Black Isle in Ross.

Plenty of genealogy there for you Daphne!

Peter

cuthill
03-Nov-10, 01:24
There was a Helen ( sinclair) Bruce died 1935 in Wick aged 69.

cpo173
01-Jan-11, 19:04
Hi Janey, I think you might find that your William's father was Donald Bruce (b) 14/11/1831@Watten, Caithness, mother was Helen Wares (b) 10/5/ 1833. In 1871 they resided at 14 Wellington Street, Poultney, Wick. Donald at this time was a fisherman. Donald's father was David Bruce and his mother was Christian Munro.
Helen's parentts were James Wares and Elizabeth Davidson.
Hope this info is of some use. Regards, cpo173

lynn prow
04-Jan-11, 11:40
Hi I have Alexander Clyne on my tree. Do you live in Australia or New Zealand? I may be able to fill in some blanks for you and love to make contact with another Clyne researcher my mum is a Clyne. cheers Lynn in Australia

Tricia
05-Jan-11, 12:11
RE:
Jamesina Bruce;(b)3Oct/1900; Huddart Street,Pulteneytown,Wick,
Caithness; Parents; William Bruce;(Fisherman) & Ellen,M/S Sinclair,
they married 12Dec/1890,Latheron;

Hi Janey, I think you might find that your William's father was Donald Bruce (b) 14/11/1831@Watten, Caithness, mother was Helen Wares (b) 10/5/ 1833. In 1871 they resided at 14 Wellington Street, Poultney, Wick. Donald at this time was a fisherman. Donald's father was David Bruce and his mother was Christian Munro.
Helen's parentts were James Wares and Elizabeth Davidson.
Hope this info is of some use. Regards, cpo173

Many William Bruce around that time
this is yours in 1901
Name: William Bruce
Estimated birth year: abt 1866
Relationship: Head
Spouse's name : Ellen Bruce
Where born: Wick, Caithness
Registration Number: 43
Registration district: Wick
Civil Parish: Wick
Town: Pulteneytown
County: Caithness
Address: 4 Huddart St
ED: 7
Household schedule number: 178
Line: 8
Roll: CSSCT1901_12
Household Members: Name Age
William Bruce 35
Ellen Bruce 35
Francis Bruce 9
Ellen Bruce 7
Annie Bruce 6
Donald Bruce 4
Jamesina Bruce 6mo

If your William IS son of Donald Bruce and Helen Wares then they relate to me.
I do not however have this Helen Wares parents as James Wares & Eliz Davidson.
I show them as Donald Wares and Janet Wares. Helen b c 1833 m Donald Bruce 1863
Helen Wares 1837 -1926 daughter of James & Eliz I show as marrying William Georgeson and by 1881 they were in Aberdeen.

I may have this all wrong so will check some bits out now. Perhaps someone can input.
It shows the necessity to really cross check data.

Tricia
05-Jan-11, 12:15
Ok
have just found marriage cert for William Bruce;(Fisherman) & Ellen,M/S Sinclair, 1890 Village of Lybster, Latheron
and parents shown as Donald Bruce (Fisherman) and Helen Wares
and Francis Sinclair (shoemaker) and Ann Gunn.
(have copy)

Tricia
05-Jan-11, 12:19
OK just found my copy of marriage cert for Donald Bruce and Helen Wares:
5 Dec 1862 in Hempriggs Parish of Wick Donald Bruce fisherman 28 and Helen Wares 29.
NOTE: Parents William Bruce (farmer) and Ann Donaldson and Donald Wares (Farmer) and Janet Wares.
(have copy)
Janey - always best to double check.

Tricia,
Born a MORE in Wick

daphne.van
20-Jan-11, 03:52
Hi Lynn,

My mother is also a Clyne. Her father was Alexander Clyne and her mother Lilias Janet Class Clyne. They emigrated in the 1920's to Christchurch New Zealand, so there are quite a lot of Clynes in Christchurch. Regards from NZ