PDA

View Full Version : Every bird - But the Ones I Want !

cherokee
11-Oct-10, 19:47
Hi

I went and bought, from PAH, seeds, nuts, fat balls and a "coconut thingy!". I also cleaned out the "water bowl" thoroughly !!

Well, massives o' sparrows, whilst fighting with the odd starling, came down to the bird-bath; but what I'm more concerned about is...... the "fat-balls" are being absouletly scoffed by the starlings!!!!

I certainly don't grudge the starlings the fat-balls by any means, but it would be nice to have the "migrants" have a wee shotty at them too.....???

Anyone ideas?

Kenn
11-Oct-10, 22:06
They will come in as the weather cools, already getting chaffinches and robins, it depends how long you have been putting food out on a regular basis and your location as to how quickly they realise there is such a thing as a free lunch.

WeeBurd
22-Oct-10, 21:23
Cherokee, I too get plagued by the greedy starlings devouring all the fatballs etc. I've fixed them now though, by popping my seed feeders, and fat ball holders, inside squirrel cages (you can pick them up in PaH or online)... the cages allow the small birds (tits, siskins, finches, sparrows etc) through to the delicious treats, whilst leaving the starlings and jackdaws to descimate my ground feeder. They work a charm! ;)

As for visitors, the robins have returned to our garden in the last week (at one stage three of them were trying to out do one another!), along with some more chaffies and tits (blue & coal). And, after our usual three month period of absolutely no sightings at all, we have over half a dozen blackbirds back in the garden, including our old pal The Phantom Fingernail (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=25960&highlight=phantom+fingernail) who is visiting us for his fourth winter in a row. We also had a passing redwing stop off for an afternoon of foraging and chilling on Tuesday, but haven't seen any more since...:)

welsh-witch
22-Oct-10, 23:20
well i think i got most of wicks starlings in my garden, and their going thru fat balls like nobodys buisness:Razz

Kenn
23-Oct-10, 00:18
YEY great idea weeburd, I have been trying to make sure that the smaller birds get their fare share so might have to invest.

dafi
23-Oct-10, 00:21
Have a look here cherokee,

http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/c/BirdFeeders.htm

There are several places that sell feeders with a mesh around them that will let smaller birds through but keep starlings out. Some thing like this may well help you out.

cherokee
23-Oct-10, 09:17
Thank you all for your suggestions and web-links.

I'm glad that the whole starling population haven't just decided to take up residence only in my back garden LOL !! :lol:

Definetely gonna try out your ideas !