PDA

View Full Version : Which ones are good?

Vistravi
07-Oct-10, 13:42
I've just brought my laptop back from the brink of death. Made a back up of everything and removed all my personal files from it. Second time in 2 months this time almost unfixable. Time to get a replacement i think!

But which ones are the best?

I would like a all white one but it has to have decent hard drive space and memory. Something like 320 gb or higher hard drive and 3gb or above in ram which must also be upgradable.

Anyone got any ideas? Which company is the best?

Beat Bug
07-Oct-10, 13:52
I've got an Eee netbook, but have just purchased an external 500gb hard drive, where I keep all my personal items, like photos, files etc. Even if I need to get a new laptop, I still have all my personal information without having to back it up each time.

mrlennie
07-Oct-10, 14:09
Just a thought on the colour white gets easily marked I would go for another but they do look smart don't they?

Vistravi
07-Oct-10, 14:19
Just a thought on the colour white gets easily marked I would go for another but they do look smart don't they?

Aye they are. My one that is causing problems is black and silver and i want one that looks nice and does its job too. Not too fussed about marks atm. My son's not old enough to get at it with sticky fingers yet :lol:

Vistravi
07-Oct-10, 16:12
If i wanted a netbook obtaining a white one would be easy :roll:

So decided to look for a pure black one. Found a nice looking one but the one i found would need a change of operating system and a memory upgrade.

Its a Asus Eee Pc 1005h go laptop. Anyone know if theyt have any problems personally?

tonkatojo
07-Oct-10, 16:59

So decided to look for a pure black one. Found a nice looking one but the one i found would need a change of operating system and a memory upgrade.

Its a Asus Eee Pc 1005h go laptop. Anyone know if theyt have any problems personally?

Have a look at this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330480992053#ht_2262wt_1137

Bobinovich
07-Oct-10, 17:57
I've got an Eee netbook, but have just purchased an external 500gb hard drive, where I keep all my personal items, like photos, files etc. Even if I need to get a new laptop, I still have all my personal information without having to back it up each time.

Its all very well backing up to an external hard drive, but relying on an external drive for backup is just as dangerous as relying on the one built into your PC or laptop. All it takes is the drive to go faulty and you lose everything.

In order to ensure that your files are safe I'd recommend, where possible, storing your files:-

on both the PC/laptop drive AND an external drive, or
onto two external hard drives, or
on a dual mirrored RAID drive system
The same goes for USB flash drives too - especially if you're using one as a working drive (i.e. working on files directly on the drive). These should be backed up to another drive.

It's a harsh lesson I learned thankfully through other people's disasters rather than through my own.

EDDIE
07-Oct-10, 21:13

I bought a net book for when im out and about its ok has a decent battery life but i wouldnt buy another one again now that some of the laptops have battery lifes up to 8hrs.
The next laptop i buy is going to have a good battery life before it goes flat.

But in this day and age is there really such a thing as bad laptop i wouldnt buy a laptiop on the basis on whats best just buy one that does the job you require why waste money going for a more expensive laptop when 6 months down the road its out of date?
Technolgy is moving so fast it waste of time and money trying to keep up with it

Vistravi
07-Oct-10, 21:24
I bought a net book for when im out and about its ok has a decent battery life but i wouldnt buy another one again now that some of the laptops have battery lifes up to 8hrs.
The next laptop i buy is going to have a good battery life before it goes flat.

But in this day and age is there really such a thing as bad laptop i wouldnt buy a laptiop on the basis on whats best just buy one that does the job you require why waste money going for a more expensive laptop when 6 months down the road its out of date?
Technolgy is moving so fast it waste of time and money trying to keep up with it

Aye i think its important to have a good battrey life in a laptop.
I don't think much of the netbooks so you can imagine my annoyance when searching for a white laptop but a good one all i find are netbooks and not so good in the specs white laptops.

But i've got one now in mind and its just a case of buying it. A friend who is really good with pcs and laptops came round and helped me decide on one.

Geo
07-Oct-10, 22:13
Do you know what is causing it? It might just need a new hard drive.

Vistravi
08-Oct-10, 09:46
Do you know what is causing it? It might just need a new hard drive.

My friend couldn't figure what the problem was when he had a look at it yesterday. To be honest its not worth fixing. It's 5 years old now. I'm sure it would do a student for their course work and general i nternet use though for a while longer.