PDA

View Full Version : Old old people nursing you, teaching you and ....

bagpuss
06-Oct-10, 22:32
The reason why many folk stick with jobs such as the civil service, local government, and teaching- ie the secure pension- is about to be hit by another of Osborne and Cameron's wizard wheezes. My friend who teaches has decided he isn't going to bother retiring- he plans to go on and on and on- since they keep raising the retirement age anyway. So why don't we all take a leaf out of his book and keep going? I'd love to see a midwife with dementia attend a complicated birth- or a council worker with osteoporosis try to wheel a dust cart.. it could make terrific reality TV. The question is this- if the world was in such a mess for all those many many years- why does it all have to be sorted out over the next 5?

Do Davy and Geordie reckon the end of the world is nigh and they have to pay off the mortgage before the sun goes out?

bagpuss
30-Jun-11, 21:52
In the light of today's strikes- give this thread just another thought

Changes to pensions, pay and conditions mean that some people will never be able to retire- and might by staying on deprive younger people of much needed work- and put other people at risk.

We live in a democracy. In a democracy people have the right to protest.

Mr Cameron thinks otherwise. he actually thinks he is King David- educated at the same school as Wills; not dependent on his PM's wagepacket or pension (although I doubt he'll actually decline it when the time comes)

Public sector workers in Caithness might just be able to survive on a reduced pension- but try living on it in London.

sandyr1
30-Jun-11, 21:59
'Cause we have all been living beyond our means. The Gov't, no Gov't can regulate Credit and the root causes of this problem. It is World Wide.
Yes the Banks caused some of this, but look at the house prices...even in the North of Scotland...perhaps doubled/ tripled in 10/15 years.
I was amazed over the past years coming back to Caithness and seeing all the new cars, and the Chateaus and trips abroad. Oh lets go to Dubai this weekend or Disney.
I grew up on Salt herring and mince and tatties with one short holiday a year if I was lucky. Yes my standard of living is better but one must be careful how they live!

sandyr1
30-Jun-11, 22:03
In the light of today's strikes- give this thread just another thought

Changes to pensions, pay and conditions mean that some people will never be able to retire- and might by staying on deprive younger people of much needed work- and put other people at risk.

We live in a democracy. In a democracy people have the right to protest.

Mr Cameron thinks otherwise. he actually thinks he is King David- educated at the same school as Wills; not dependent on his PM's wagepacket or pension (although I doubt he'll actually decline it when the time comes)

Public sector workers in Caithness might just be able to survive on a reduced pension- but try living on it in London.

The BBC reported today that the opposition stated it didn't think the Strike is appropriate.....We have to pull our belts in....

Great saying JL....Think what you can do for your Country, not what entitlements are there....Somewhat aborted the true saying, but you get what I mean!

bagpuss
30-Jun-11, 22:09
Holidays? Dubai?

I'm lucky that being this far south Europe is only a short trip away. My husband works with Tesco- and he gets invited on corporate trips- his holiday is in the Algarve- but he goes with the boys and I come back to Caithness to let a relative get a break from caring

My best friend lives in Caithness and her holidays are spent looking after her old father. I asked her about the last holiday she had- and she's never actually been away on holiday........

starfish
30-Jun-11, 23:05
its ok for the mps to say raise the retirement age but half of them sleep all day when they are in the house of commons you see them on the tv snoring in the back ground we could all carry on till we are 70 if we slept for most of the day . Why do they not get off their arses and do a day work in a hospital or school then see how they feel

bagpuss
30-Jun-11, 23:09
one feels soooo sorry for those poor Tory MP's- having to do all those all night sittings- and when they retire gettting a nice comfy rest in the House of Lords

I wonder how it works with folk with zimmers turning up to nurse young mums?

starfish
30-Jun-11, 23:13
Or look after the palliative patients or mental health when you got dementia, mind you i think half the government has that already

secrets in symmetry
30-Jun-11, 23:18
one feels soooo sorry for those poor Tory MP's- having to do all those all night sittings- and when they retire gettting a nice comfy rest in the House of Lords

I wonder how it works with folk with zimmers turning up to nurse young mums?Great thread bagpuss, and very familiar from my time at university with the son of a (then) well known Tory cabinet minister. You portray the attitudes and lifestyle of the Tory toffs in an accurate way - yet the majority of readers will probably think you're exaggerating.

Aaldtimer
01-Jul-11, 02:53
'Cause we have all been living beyond our means. The Gov't, no Gov't can regulate Credit and the root causes of this problem. It is World Wide.
Yes the Banks caused some of this, but look at the house prices...even in the North of Scotland...perhaps doubled/ tripled in 10/15 years.
I was amazed over the past years coming back to Caithness and seeing all the new cars, and the Chateaus and trips abroad. Oh lets go to Dubai this weekend or Disney.
I grew up on Salt herring and mince and tatties with one short holiday a year if I was lucky. Yes my standard of living is better but one must be careful how they live!

Well excuse me Sandy, but include me out of your "we have all"...I've had debt and repaid it, I've paid my taxes, my NHS contributions, my pension contributions, I've served in the RAF for 9 years, I've worked for 25 years at Dounreay, quite apart from what I worked in the private sector! And still I pay taxes on my pensions! Your opinion of the situation is what the government want us to believe...that it's all our fault!
For God's sake get a brain!
The Ragged-Troused Philanthropists comes to mind!

"and the Chateaus and trips abroad. Oh lets go to Dubai this weekend or Disney."...fer chrissake...??? What are you drinking, or smoking???:confused

sandyr1
01-Jul-11, 04:02
Without prejudice... Repeat after me......

We have been living beyond our means....now for some repitition........

BTW....Just a thought...I don't know where you live/ perhaps the North as you mentioned Dounreay....but truthfully do u think that the people live within their means....all I see when I come home is new cars, houses etc.,etc. How can this go on?

Aaldtimer
01-Jul-11, 04:20
Without prejudice... Repeat after me......

We have been living beyond our means....now for some repitition........

BTW....Just a thought...I don't know where you live/ perhaps the North as you mentioned Dounreay....but truthfully do u think that the people live within their means....all I see when I come home is new cars, houses etc.,etc. How can this go on?

Oh, so now we see some retreat from the Chateaus and Disneylands position...new cars, and houses for goodness sake, what next?...my what an extravagance!
Ever thought that us plebs in the north might be able to afford such luxuries?
Yes, I do live in Thurso, have done for 30 odd years, and have seen the rise and fall of prosperity over that time.
You obviously have no idea of the situation here![disgust]

Walter Ego
01-Jul-11, 07:35
What a pile of pathetic, self-centred, and pointless hand wringing.

It's like stepping back into the political dark ages listening to some people on here.

Next someone will be saying they saw a 'Tory' in a black stovepipe hat stealing babies in Halkirk.....

The system has been crashing for a long time - the so-called 'working class' party ran along and destroyed everything they could by overspending and over borrowing - just like the people of the country. And I'm not a 'Tory'. I stepped away from the ridiculous trait of blindly following a party regardless of how incompetent it is years ago. Unlike some of the woodentops on here it would seem.

Anyone with half an ounce of common sense can work out that the present system of welfare and working is unsustainable and that we're in for a rough ride. But as usual the NIMBYs are out in force.

sandyr1
01-Jul-11, 21:14
Oh, so now we see some retreat from the Chateaus and Disneylands position...new cars, and houses for goodness sake, what next?...my what an extravagance!
Ever thought that us plebs in the north might be able to afford such luxuries?
Yes, I do live in Thurso, have done for 30 odd years, and have seen the rise and fall of prosperity over that time.
You obviously have no idea of the situation here![disgust]

I know very well how it is in the North... People depended too long on the fancy 'Safety Jacket' brigade....never thinking Dounreay would end..
The World is like a pendulum...It doesn't stay too long in the middle....All Countries have an 'upside' and a 'downside'.....I remember very well when everyone was handed what was it...2 jackets, two of this and two of that for safety! And there were more sold on the Steets that were worn! Who paid for that?? The whole Country did. One must diversify and cut spending.....Read my previous post....We were in trouble here in the early 90's...We cut back and now we are OK.......

And as W.E. says...The Welfare State must stop........and it doesn't matter what Political party is in....there must be changes...BBC documentary last nite....on Greece....2nd Bailout will likely last 6/8 months and they will be back for more....who is going to give them the 3rd..By that time other Countries will be begging....We in Canada are in for a rough ride also....The US is also in a sad state...The State of Minnesota last nite ran out of money and they are laying everyone off...California is nearly there.

Why doesn't the people have the gumption and common sense to be part of the solution rather than part of the problem.

thebigman
01-Jul-11, 22:05
Not to be a pedant but it's châteaux where we all go for our holiday when not flying to the middle east

sandyr1
01-Jul-11, 22:35
Not to be a pedant but it's châteaux where we all go for our holiday when not flying to the middle east

You are somewhat correct....Words are spelled differently around the World and I cannot find that little thingy(circumflex) on my American machine! And if you 'google' the word it can be spelled different ways, so it is favourable to ....'When in Rome do as the Romans do'.
And I was being a wee bitty....................you can pick the word.
Just trying to say we should live within our means!

Aaldtimer
02-Jul-11, 03:59
You are somewhat correct....Words are spelled differently around the World and I cannot find that little thingy(circumflex) on my American machine! And if you 'google' the word it can be spelled different ways, so it is favourable to ....'When in Rome do as the Romans do'.
And I was being a wee bitty....................you can pick the word.
Just trying to say we should live within our means!

And I'm just saying Sandy, that I've lived within my means all my life!
The Big Crunch wasn't my fault, or the fault of the ordinary punter, it was caused by toxic debt taken on by bankers and sold on by speculators... in other words the bloody con men in the financial world who are still reaping in the profits that you and me are now being asked to pay for![disgust]

sandyr1
02-Jul-11, 06:10
And I'm just saying Sandy, that I've lived within my means all my life!
The Big Crunch wasn't my fault, or the fault of the ordinary punter, it was caused by toxic debt taken on by bankers and sold on by speculators... in other words the bloody con men in the financial world who are still reaping in the profits that you and me are now being asked to pay for![disgust]

Yes, and I agree with you all the way. Yes I read all the time of the Billions paid out in Bonuses. Incredible isn't it. There is a second part tho'..............
Take Greece for example...2nd bailout and they are still not paying their way...and I mean the people are still living beyond their means. A 3rd bailout in 6/9 months? Who will pay for that/and Ireland and Portugal and of course Iceland....Are they going to pay back what they took form the UK....But we gave it to them, likely knowing full well that it was stooooopid!....The people who pay their taxes get stuck with the defaults....
The US is likely the worst case....A person would go to a Mortgage Broker and apply for a Mortgage...They would be asked what they earned. They would come up with some incredible sum and they would get the Mortgage...It was called a NoDoc Mortgage....No Documents required...So the lender would get their cut...Then they would go to an appraiser who would get their cut if they over valued the house, and it just goes on from there. Everyone was geting a cut/ %/ so they just went along with it, knowing that one day it would blow up!

_Ju_
02-Jul-11, 09:19
A pension is not an entitlement, but something you paid into for many years, that you worked for and that was negociated as part of your contract of work, but that has now been put out of your reach, perhaps for the rest of your living days.

No matter what you may think about the "cushy" jobs that these people have (and they are not cushy at all, but very demanding, especially in the way you have to deal with people daily on a very close level- whether nurses or teachers), they spent their lives working, contributing financially (taxation) and with their work to improve the lives of people and the communities that they live in. And yes they were paid for it. And part of that payment was for their pension scheme, which is now being yanked away.
So they are angry and they are out there telling the world they are angry. Now this (the right to protest) is an entitlement.

secrets in symmetry
02-Jul-11, 12:11
What a pile of pathetic, self-centred, and pointless hand wringing.

It's like stepping back into the political dark ages listening to some people on here.

Next someone will be saying they saw a 'Tory' in a black stovepipe hat stealing babies in Halkirk.....

The system has been crashing for a long time - the so-called 'working class' party ran along and destroyed everything they could by overspending and over borrowing - just like the people of the country. And I'm not a 'Tory'. I stepped away from the ridiculous trait of blindly following a party regardless of how incompetent it is years ago. Unlike some of the woodentops on here it would seem.

Anyone with half an ounce of common sense can work out that the present system of welfare and working is unsustainable and that we're in for a rough ride. But as usual the NIMBYs are out in force.
Walter, have you mixed with the Tory upper classes? My acquaintance's brother is a Tory MP, his father has a hereditary title and was a cabinet minister (in the Lords), many of his other family are well known, and his grandfather was one of the most famous people ever. His family is not atypical within Tory ranks.

As I have explained on this forum, the Labour Party did not overspend for very long. Your knowledge of politics and economics seems to be close to non-existent.

oldmarine
03-Jul-11, 18:01
The reason why many folk stick with jobs such as the civil service, local government, and teaching- ie the secure pension- is about to be hit by another of Osborne and Cameron's wizard wheezes. My friend who teaches has decided he isn't going to bother retiring- he plans to go on and on and on- since they keep raising the retirement age anyway. So why don't we all take a leaf out of his book and keep going? I'd love to see a midwife with dementia attend a complicated birth- or a council worker with osteoporosis try to wheel a dust cart.. it could make terrific reality TV. The question is this- if the world was in such a mess for all those many many years- why does it all have to be sorted out over the next 5?

Do Davy and Geordie reckon the end of the world is nigh and they have to pay off the mortgage before the sun goes out?

Believe it or not, but there comes a time when a person gets too old to continue regardless of what they do. I finally reached that old age.