PDA

View Full Version : Strange lights

cemmts
04-Oct-10, 01:20
Anyone else see strange lights in the sky over Auckingill, Freswick area around 22:30 ??

Noticed them looking out from Ackergill ??

Scarybiscuits03
04-Oct-10, 14:07
Nope just you!......were there drammies involved?
I was having a good look at the stars last night hoping to see something of interest after all these reports of fireballs and it was around that time, but no luck.:~(

cemmts
04-Oct-10, 14:09
Nope 3 of us and no drink :)

Leanne
04-Oct-10, 14:55
Northern lights?

cemmts
04-Oct-10, 15:01
http://i56.tinypic.com/1zdnhmv.jpg

cluster of lights on left Keiss

Nope these ones dont miss the blue light either :)

onecalledk
04-Oct-10, 15:04
we saw strange lights in the sky when we were driving over the Causeymire last night about 9pm. My son spotted the strange lights that appeared to change from blue to red to white and at first I thought he had seen a star but it was moving! it did change colour as well. Then we thought of helicopters but then ruled that out as well.

Seeing your picture it looks like the same thing but we just saw one moving ......

perhaps they were just having a look ?

K

cemmts
04-Oct-10, 15:13
I'll post another no engine noise they all moved about faded out and in

http://i54.tinypic.com/29dcn85.jpg

Leanne
04-Oct-10, 15:18
Wick-Aberdeen flight is 21:50 on a sunday - could it have been delayed? I know on Fri when I landed we circled for about 15 minutes due to high winds...

cemmts
04-Oct-10, 15:27
Taken at 22:33 not a aircraft I'm afraid

Nothing on apr to runway 13/31 or on a holding pattern

onecalledk
04-Oct-10, 15:47
UFO sightings are on the increase over the past couple of months. There is a few on Youtube that show lights moving very fast and flickering over Inverness and other parts of scotland.

There have been more sightings in the US over the past few months than ever before as well.

K

Metalattakk
04-Oct-10, 15:58
Two words: Khoom Fay.

They should ban those damn things.

cemmts
04-Oct-10, 16:06
Two words: Khoom Fay.

They should ban those damn things.

Granted but doesnt explain the blue one or them moving in a different directions other that wind direction

dragonfly
04-Oct-10, 16:07
look like Chinese Lanterns to me

Phill
04-Oct-10, 16:10
No Sunday flights from Aberdeen, no flights due in after normal hours yesterday (1630).
With the winds it could well have been NAT routing aircraft at high level but appearing low on the horizon and no apparent engine noise.
Radar put 6 possible aircraft at that time, high level, trans-Atlantic routes.

So I doubt it wuz a UFO.

I blame those pesky Russians mesel :roll:

cemmts
04-Oct-10, 16:25
Guess you had to be there :( too erratic for High alt NAT-C routes

IDK

Phill
04-Oct-10, 20:47
If its erratic then I'd deffo blame the Russians!

QRA chasing bears.

The lights in the lower left of the pics, I take it that's Kiess?

Metalattakk
04-Oct-10, 20:59
Granted but doesnt explain the blue one or them moving in a different directions other that wind direction

Aye it does, unless you don't understand either wind behaviour or coloured paper.

Leanne
04-Oct-10, 21:23
I'm sure the plane I was on on Friday will have confused some with the lights - the pilot didn't take the seatbelt sign off and warned us on takeoff that it would be a bumpy ride. The plane dropped out of the sky at points and it was really quite frightening! As was the circling for 15 minutes before deciding it was safe enough to land.

I'm not normally bothered by flying but Friday was terrifying!

I guess the lights on my plane will have been going in all sorts of directions.

Scarybiscuits03
04-Oct-10, 21:27
I'm sure the plane I was on on Friday will have confused some with the lights - the pilot didn't take the seatbelt sign off and warned us on takeoff that it would be a bumpy ride. The plane dropped out of the sky at points and it was really quite frightening! As was the circling for 15 minutes before deciding it was safe enough to land.

I'm not normally bothered by flying but Friday was terrifying!

I guess the lights on my plane will have been going in all sorts of directions.

Thanks for that Leanne - was going to be flying down south on Sat but dont think I'll bother anymore!!!!![lol]

Phill
04-Oct-10, 21:50
I think the pilot must have had the Friday feeling and was havin' a laugh, either that or he was new and still learnin'.

Mystical Potato Head
04-Oct-10, 22:26
This is almost as intriguing as the famous Pheonix Lights of 1997.:roll:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Lights

As for this NOT being ufo(s),well until you know exactly what it is then it is a ufo.
Ufo doesnt mean alien spacecraft with E.T at the helm.

Personally i would say these ufos are of chinese origin,theres hardly a night goes by when i'm out with the scope taking astro shots that i dont see at least one.

Rheghead
04-Oct-10, 23:01
I must admit to faking UFOs in the past, balloons filled with helium and a glowdark stick tied to it makes a lovely phenomenon. It keeps the prolls occupied.

Phill
04-Oct-10, 23:14
High intensity flashing LED's also look good.
Must admit to some UFO sillyness quite some years ago, my brother and I used large bin bags filled with helium, rapid ascent and then a slowish descent as it leaked out.
Apparently it was about the right length of time over a suburban area to create a bit of a fuss, long enough for people to spot but not long enough to get any 'evidence'.

:evil

cemmts
04-Oct-10, 23:14
aye it does, unless you don't understand either wind behaviour or coloured paper.

sigh .............

Phill
05-Oct-10, 00:24
Here's a possible:

Two converging & diverging aircraft. A mix of flashing and steady beacons on the aircraft through the haze in the sky could give the effect of erratic movements.
http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy337/Phill_Rawlins/itsalljustrandom/ufo1.jpg
This image is an overlay of two aircraft around the time of your sighting, it is the actual positions and directions of the aircraft. The orange cross-hairs is centred on the road down to Ackergill shore / harbour.
They line up in the direction you'd be looking.
I'm trying to get this onto a moving clip with the viewpoint from the ground looking out to see how they line up to the horizon but that is a work in progress.

Scarybiscuits03
05-Oct-10, 18:20
Would you be able to see those aircraft from Ackergill?......if so I wanna know who your optician is!!!:lol:

Phill
05-Oct-10, 20:41
The southern most plane would have been visible depending on how clear the sky was, the northern most at the position in the image would be dubious but it did pass closer.

I still blame the Ruskies though.

neepnipper
08-Oct-10, 07:29
At about 6.10am this morning over Auckengill saw a large orange object race across the sky it then 'exploded' in to several bits which then dispersed, did anyone else see this?

Scarybiscuits03
08-Oct-10, 09:45
At about 6.10am this morning over Auckengill saw a large orange object race across the sky it then 'exploded' in to several bits which then dispersed, did anyone else see this?

That was an alien pod sending their people to live in Wick.........thats the only place they'll fit in!!!! [lol]

annex
08-Oct-10, 11:47
Could well of been Chinese Lanterns but having said that these lights do look similar to ones I had seen on recent you tube video of Ufo sighting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K34jlh6Rwt4&feature=related

BMcGillivray
08-Oct-10, 11:53

Strange time to be setting off fireworks.

Paul_and_Anna
08-Oct-10, 11:59
It was a Weather balloon!

I asked the RAF about it and they put me through to the USAF who were damn sure it was a weather Balloon. According to them it was probably Ruskie, or Chinese in manufacture, unless it was one of their's in which case it would have "Made in Japan" written somewhere on it. End of speculation.

On the other hand ... it could have been my sub-orbital Tardisoenterprise, though this is unlikely as I believe the Wife was waxing it at the time noted in the reports ............

Regards,

Paul. (No Weed whacking here)

highlandlassie
09-Oct-10, 22:34
My son saw two bright orange lights off Noss Head on Sunday at just after 11pm, he work us up to tell us and swore it was a UFO or two.

fudge100
10-Oct-10, 02:44
My husband saw a fire ball in the sky around 10.30pm cant remember the exact date but it was around september time.He managed to take a snap shot of it on his mobile phone.He said it was not traveling realy fast but it was definetly a ball of flames.A couple of weeks later he saw an other strange light in the sky,he said it was similar to the ball of fire he had previously seen only this one was traveling much higher in the sky and it was comming from the direction of orkney.After watching it for some time it seemed to stop then went stright upwards and vanished.All this happened in john o groats, and before anyone asks no he dose'nt drink. Dont know if this will work but i will try and add the picture he took.

Paul_and_Anna
11-Oct-10, 11:49
My husband saw a fire ball in the sky around 10.30pm cant remember the exact date but it was around september time.He managed to take a snap shot of it on his mobile phone.He said it was not traveling realy fast but it was definetly a ball of flames.A couple of weeks later he saw an other strange light in the sky,he said it was similar to the ball of fire he had previously seen only this one was traveling much higher in the sky and it was comming from the direction of orkney.After watching it for some time it seemed to stop then went stright upwards and vanished.All this happened in john o groats, and before anyone asks no he dose'nt drink. Dont know if this will work but i will try and add the picture he took.

Something authentic!!!

From pictures I have seen this looks like "Ball Lightning" which is a much more common phenomenon than previously thought.

There is an excellent RAF film of it dancing around a BA Concord! Apparently it can occur even in clear skies ............ :)

Logical
11-Oct-10, 13:08
Reminds me of the lights I saw before I was abducted and probed in the 60s, but otherwise I think its more that likely Chinese lanterns let off.

They have caused a lot of confusion in the past being mistaken as aliens etc.....

fudge100
11-Oct-10, 18:27
This was definetly not ball lighting, nor does my husband think it was a chinese lantren.What ever it was was seen roughly 10/15mins earlier in dunbeath by a friend of a friend.It was traveling in a northerly direction and went straight past my husband towards the orkneys.By the time i got to the back door to see it for myself it seemed to be over the pentland firth only it had stopped moving. However a few seconds later it seemed to head off in a more easterly direction.The first pic that i posted was taken by my husband in a state of excitment so it was shakey.However he did manage to take a second pic which i will try and post.