PDA

View Full Version : Closure of Thread!

sandyr1
03-Oct-10, 20:38
Recently a thread was closed by Bill Fernie and I have some doubts as to this action!
The thread was about a word, and I shall use it a little more loosley and that word was............
....Tinker.....
It seems that Gleeber decided to complain about the a word and suddenly Bill decides to lock it.
For the 3rd time in a few weeks, I have to agree with John Little that only when these matters are brought out in the open, do people understand the folly of their ways and prejudices.
The thread is there for reference and perhaps those not afraid of commenting should do so......
I was born and brought up in Caithness in the 50/60's and know full well that there are certains issues that must go away, but to decide not to discuss them like civilized beings solves nothing.

It is interesting to read about Gleeber's absolute disgust and how he feels it is so derogatory, and then in the next post he asks for someone from that 'Background' to comment....
Methinks he is the one that is painting people with the same brush. So Gleeber thinks that 'they' have a different background than us! So now 'they' are singled out!
I for one didn't think so. We all went to school together, and all sorts of names were thrown about.... including anyone who lived in a house that burned peats...were called 'Peat Smell'!

I just thought that I would make a point here/ Obviously Bill Fernie does an excellent job with the Org., and can cut anything off. But to learn we must be educated, and some discussion tends to do that.
Did I know that to dump a 45 gallon drum of oil near a well would contaminate same....there are so many examples of matters of this nature..... it is open if anyone wants to comment.

Corrie 3
03-Oct-10, 20:45
Mmmmm!!!
I must admit Sandy that after the thread was locked I started wondering about other words that are associated with Tinker....We have all "Tinkered" with our car engine at some point in our lifes....We have all spent time "Tinkering" with one thing or another....So are these words to disappear also? I have often called my Children and Pets a "Little Tinker" as a term of endearment!!!!
Some people get too offended these days.

C3....:roll::roll::roll:

Scarybiscuits03
03-Oct-10, 20:53
Mmmmm!!!
I must admit Sandy that after the thread was locked I started wondering about other words that are associated with Tinker....We have all "Tinkered" with our car engine at some point in our lifes....We have all spent time "Tinkering" with one thing or another....So are these words to disappear also? I have often called my Children and Pets a "Little Tinker" as a term of endearment!!!!
Some people get too offended these days.

C3....:roll::roll::roll:

Here here!! I agree completely I often call my daughter one! It has a number of different meanings which were being discussed, there has been a lot worse brought up on here that has been allowed to continue!

Kodiak
03-Oct-10, 20:59
The final decision is with the Mod's and if they wish to close a Thread then so be it.

If you do not like the rules of this Forum then go to another Forum, Simples

sandyr1
03-Oct-10, 21:08
The final decision is with the Mod's and if they wish to close a Thread then so be it.

If you do not like the rules of this Forum then go to another Forum, Simples

Are you trying to tell me something??? And do you have the authority pray tell me?