PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Scam ??

Night Owl
30-Sep-10, 22:24
Any one else had a phone call from Microsoft advising them of errors on their laptops. They talked me through various stages but when they asked me to put in a web address other than Microsoft I had second thoughts. Asked them to call back tomorrow....will see if they do.

pat
30-Sep-10, 22:33
Yes the scammers phoned oh when I was out a couple of days ago - lucky oh does not even know how to switch computer on!

When oh told them does not know how to switch on machines the gentleman very quickly disconnected telephone.

horse
30-Sep-10, 22:41
Had a call too, made out I never owned a computer and he hung up, :(
http://www.techeye.net/security/microsoft-scam-comes-to-a-phone-near-you

bekisman
30-Sep-10, 22:42
Yep, had one a while back, I knew there was this scam about* Mrs Beks took the call and said "it's Microsoft".. "Hello Sir it's Microsoft Service Centre here" (in Indian voice). "No you're not" I reply.. stunned silence and phone went dead.. but bet they've caught a lot of people!

*http://thefearnster.blogspot.com/2010/02/new-internet-scam-microsoftwindows.html (http://thefearnster.blogspot.com/2010/02/new-internet-scam-microsoftwindows.html)

silverlady
30-Sep-10, 22:47
I had them on the phone last week....when I asked them if they were going to require any of my passwords, they hung up. Funny that!!!!:roll:

George Brims
01-Oct-10, 01:49
This has been going on for ages. As I related before, my mum-in-law got this call from a bloke who tried to talk her into turning on her computer and going to a web site. She spun him along for a while until unfortunately someone came to the door and she had to hang up on him. By that time he was getting quite agitated and urging her to turn on the machine and get on with it. BTW, she doesn't have a computer. :D Nor does she use foul language. However one of them called again when I was there. I did. No more calls.

Valerie Campbell
01-Oct-10, 14:01
I hadn't heard of this so thanks for the heads up. I'll be prepared.

Fly
01-Oct-10, 22:36
Had a call the other day from someone who told me my computer was'nt working fast enough. Played dumb then told him there was nothing wrong with it so he hung up. I had already been warned about this one.

sandyr1
01-Oct-10, 23:53
Same scam being used in Canada// Microsoft does not call people!
Do not punch any numbers in.....hang up.

billyjoe
02-Oct-10, 00:10
Hi I had the same phone call he said this is windows calling you have a very dangerous virus on your computer, go to computer and i help you fix it,we all know windows dont phone anyone, and wur no as green as wur gabbage lookin in Caithness.:roll:

sandyr1
02-Oct-10, 00:13
Hi I had the same phone call he said this is windows calling you have a very dangerous virus on your computer, go to computer and i help you fix it,we all know windows dont phone anyone, and wur no as green as wur gabbage lookin in Caithness.:roll:

Really!.....................I had never thought of anyone in Caithness that way!

Vistravi
02-Oct-10, 15:31
Wouldn't you know straight away it was a scam when someone on the phone insists theres something wrong with your pc or laptop? I certainly know when theres something wrong with my laptop and i usually fix it myself or ask my partner to have a look if i can't figure it out.

Use your common sense people and don't even entertain these con artists.

Kevin Milkins
03-Oct-10, 00:08
I can see how people that are not 100% computer savvy, could fall for this type of scam, (which would account for most of us).

It's a good thing to have these types of discussions on the open forum because most people would be too embarrassed to ask the question as to if this would be a scam or not, because they would fear being ripped apart by the smart arses.

Everyone has to start there computer knowledge at some point and learn as they go along, it's armed with this knowledge that the scammers set the trap.

sandyr1
03-Oct-10, 00:53
I agree KM.....
A seasoned Real Estate Broker, employing many people, just North of me got scammed out of $50,000 several years ago....Very simple....the bandits pretended to be someone other that whom they were.
Look at Facebook....people put their names on there and their birthdays, expecting others to wish them Regards.....Scammers can use that to obtain their documents, addresses etc etc!
Huge warnings here just now about that. A security expert recently stated that no personal info should be placed on any public website.. And he was serious! But people don't think and then cry and bleat when they get scammed..
It is our human nature to trust....
So those with their birthdays on a Social Networking site beware....
Some say it is Ok to put the Day and Month and not the Year.......NOT SO...... Most people have a picture on there and it doesn't take too much checking to obtain the correct Year...
For your info.......

bekisman
03-Oct-10, 10:54
"You have won a large prize in a lottery, please send £20 admin fee to claim your prize" yea right, you might say, but it caught out 22,000 gullible people.. the scam was based in Somerset although Soca said the fraud, which was receiving up to 5,000 replies a day,(!) six days a week could have netted more than £35 million in a year if the payments had reached their final destinations overseas, believed to be Ireland and Canada.

Soca also added that people who fall for one scam may find their names on a list that gets sold on to other fraudsters and can end up losing their life’s savings in the long run. - it did appear that a large number of those warned went on to be taken in again..

Often wonder why people believe they've won a lottery they have not entered? But then, as they say 'there's on born every minute'
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/09/lottery_scam_raid/

billmoseley
03-Oct-10, 12:26
i got an email wanting me to confirm my changes to my online banking account this morning. all i had to do was log onto their web site link supplied how thoughtful. then just fill in all my details. one problem no online account :lol::lol::

Night Owl
04-Oct-10, 13:15
Not many people ring back when they say they will...but.. my Microsoft scammer did! Kept him going for ages. Finally asked his name and employee number and when he questioned why I needed this I told him "Microsoft will probably want to give you Employee of the Month award and since your call has now been traced and logged Im sure someone will be along soon to let you have it. Strange why he didnt thank me before he hung up.

Bazeye
04-Oct-10, 21:28
Soca also added that people who fall for one scam may find their names on a list that gets sold on to other fraudsters and can end up losing their life’s savings in the long run.

Thats me safe then.

Tinkerbell09
04-Oct-10, 23:28
Yeah, I had the same phonecall to the house a while back, Mum not being good with Computers passed the phone onto my boyfriend. Heres what I posted back when it happened!

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=100085

bcsman
04-Mar-11, 08:02
my partner answered the phone yesterday from somone claiming to be from microsoft,i heard my partner ask in a confused tone "is my broadband ok?" i shouted to her,hang up thats a conman,the guy on the other end of the line heard me shout this and quikly hung up.
i knew about this scam after reading it here on the org forums.
thanks guys