PDA

View Full Version : What do you do?

Vistravi
23-Sep-10, 22:11
Do you read, write or both?

I do both. I'm gotten back into reading the past month or so since my son started sleeping 7 to 7. But now i'm getting bored of books and have started writing stories again. I have quite from my teens that i wrote. i love to read them every so often which was part of the reason as to why i wrote them. They all started as an idea about an object or from a strange dream i had. I remember using one of my brothers beanie duck for inspiration once! :lol: But one of the better ones i no longer have a copy of. It's a shame as it was a good one based on the point of view of a polar bear. I did lots of research on polar bears before i wrote it so it would be realistic.

Rictina
23-Sep-10, 22:15
I like to do both when I get the time & in the right frame of mind.

Dadie
23-Sep-10, 22:35
I read and read..and make up stories for the girls but never write them down....its usually about a girl doing something they are going to do or have done...or a princess in wellies who does something amazing suggested by one of the girls!

mumof2
23-Sep-10, 22:38
i love reading and could easily pass a whole day with my head in a good book, don't often get the time. not so hot at writing stories as i tend to ramble on a bit, like Dadie i just make up little adventure stories for the kids.

bagpuss
23-Sep-10, 22:49
So how will you feel when your local library is closed down- will you volunteer to do a day a week unpaid?

Dadie
23-Sep-10, 22:57
Never really venture into the library, its too stressful with 3 wee ones.
I have loads of kids books at home and as for my reading I buy from bookshops or the charity shops.
The library couldnt get in the book I wanted the one time I asked for a book.
It might be different in a few years time but for now I never use the place..sad I know!

Tubthumper
23-Sep-10, 23:42
I don't read as much as I should, and I'm trying to get into writing more.

Some of my fondest memories are of going to the Library in Dundee Street (Fountianbridge?) with my Grandad, clutching the wee pocketty library tickets and resting my chin on the counter while the lady stamped my latest pochle of books. The old boys sitting for hours, reading the papers...

A real treat, now sadly long gone just like Grandad.

[Edit - It's still there!! And due a visit next time I'm Sooth!] http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://screenworks.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/2swfrontbuilding.jpg%3Fw%3D300%26h%3D225&imgrefurl=http://edinburghscreenworks.co.uk/space/&usg=__F8odySr06KN_Hg--2bLRL9sdUIU=&h=224&w=300&sz=26&hl=en&start=0&zoom=0&tbnid=3C_w_panHL2nyM:&tbnh=87&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dfountainbridge%2Blibrary%26um%3D1%26h l%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D582%26tbs%3Disch: 1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=820&vpy=138&dur=2430&hovh=87&hovw=116&tx=63&ty=38&ei=odmbTO7lJYWI4QaXwNiKDQ&oei=odmbTO7lJYWI4QaXwNiKDQ&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0

sweetpea
23-Sep-10, 23:46
I try to do both, read and write! I get books from all over the place and go to library. They have some really good activities for Mum's/Kids as well.

chocolatechip
24-Sep-10, 00:15
I'm more of a writer!! I'm in the middle of like a short story know and I have been for 2 or 3 possibly 4 months! Every know and again I get an idea to add to the story!! So far I've written over 30 pages. I like to write when wet and cold miserable outside and have a coffee or hot chocolate as it's my chill out time xx

brandy
24-Sep-10, 00:21
i read constantly.. i love to write but not done it it a while..
i use to keep a journal and the things i wrote in there.. WHEW.. lets just hope that one never gets published!!!

Vistravi
24-Sep-10, 10:05
Looking back in a way i wrote the collection of short stories i wrote in my late teens as a way of escaping from the grief of losing my dad. I lost myself in the story and could write for hours.

My dad had two scottish bears made for him and he asked my now step sister to draw them and me to write a story about them. The idea was that we'd send the story and the bears to a magazine and have them published. I jhad written half before he died and he got to read the half but i finished it on the day of his funeral. My way of dealing with it at the time. I have the story still untyped and i'm now thinking of sending it into a magazine that is looking for short stories to publish.

ShelleyCowie
24-Sep-10, 10:26
I used to absolutely detest reading! Never started til the last year and now i love a good book! (if i get peace to read one that is)

In school i loved writing, i loved going into detail writing fictional stories. Now i dont write, Chris is excellent at writing. i have many short stories of his he has wrote over the last few years and they are brilliant.

But we are more "artsey" people and prefer drawing (again if we get a chance) 3 our of my 4 tattoos were designed by us. Think i will stick to my drawing and calligraphy instead of writing. :Razz

Scarybiscuits03
24-Sep-10, 10:37
I read Caithness.org and facebook but if I'm honest I've never read a book (and finished it) in my life! Surprisingly I passed English with a very good grade, luckily I was very imaginative and wrote good stories!
I never even read a newspaper, I look at the pics to see if the story is worth reading and if it doesn't look interesting then I won't bother!
I never have enjoyed reading!

Hoida
24-Sep-10, 16:54
I enjoy reading and find it hard to put a book down once I start it. I like biographies and autobiographies.
Used to make up stories when children small usually about tractors and farms.:lol::lol:

Vistravi
24-Sep-10, 20:56
I used to absolutely detest reading! Never started til the last year and now i love a good book! (if i get peace to read one that is)

In school i loved writing, i loved going into detail writing fictional stories. Now i dont write, Chris is excellent at writing. i have many short stories of his he has wrote over the last few years and they are brilliant.

But we are more "artsey" people and prefer drawing (again if we get a chance) 3 our of my 4 tattoos were designed by us. Think i will stick to my drawing and calligraphy instead of writing. :Razz

I can draw just not well enough to design a tattoo. Can draw an idea of what i'm looking for. I work better with materials. I designed all three of mine just used tools to design them.

Aye finding a chance to sit and write, read or design something is hard when the kids are running about. I've taken up a new project story but i need to throughly research my chosen subject. That on its own could take a couple of weeks of snatched half and hour here or there.

John Little
24-Sep-10, 21:16
I read a lot.

And I write essays.....

Invisible
24-Sep-10, 22:57
I dont read.

But I love to write

crashbandicoot1979
27-Sep-10, 14:39
I love to do both.

Have always loved reading, I can read an average length novel in a day if I have the time!

As for writing, I wrote a lot when I was a bairn, then stopped for most of my teens, except for stories/essays in English at school. Took up writing again when I hit my 20's, have had a couple of short stories published and have been working on a novel for the last while. Still write short stories and other random stuff aswell. Just started a Creative Writing course through the OU, which I'm enjoying so far.

I feel quite down if I don't write, I feel writing is something I *have* to do for the sake of my sanity! I write about all sorts of things, sometimes just about what I can see from my window or the kind of day I'm having. As long as I'm writing something, I'm happy!

I like to draw aswell, not that I'm great at it but I find drawing is a good creative outlet if I'm struggling to find something to write about.

rich
27-Sep-10, 15:14
Why doesn't someone post a story? Or a synopsis. Or a first page (to be continued)

I was carried screaming out of the Thurso Library age 4. I wanted a new book, not all this old stuff that OTHER PEOPLE had been reading.

(I guess that was the end of a promising literary career...)