PDA

View Full Version : High School Uniform

SEB
22-Jul-06, 10:42
Does anyone know if any local shops have a stock of Thurso High School Uniforms yet? and where can I get my hands on plain boy's black trousers in any shops in Caithness?!!!
:confused

dragonfly
22-Jul-06, 10:59
Buttress's advert on front page of yesterdays JOG Journal said they had THS uniform in stock

Moby
22-Jul-06, 11:08
For plain shirts and black trousers M & S are doing buy 3 get cheapest item free - try their web site.

may67
22-Jul-06, 11:53
Buttresses in Thurso will have the stock in, but apparently you than have to take it to Elizabeths to get the Logo sewn on. Afraid i just ordered mine kids stuff from Inverness........M and S have great deals on at the moment, 3 for 2 offers. But i have bought Black Jeans from MandS. They are smart and harder wearing than the 'school ' trousers.....and only £9 !!!

mccaugm
22-Jul-06, 11:53
I got my kids trousers from Next as soon as they told us they were going to do uniform. I got shirts and polo shirts from Tesco and the logoed items from the uniform shop. Have to say that the blazers were horrible, like old mens jackets and the wool versions were almost £55. The zip hoodies and fleecies were lovely.

Uniform was expensive but glad as you only need buy it once a year.....Cannot wait to see Thurso High School kids looking so smart

Tristan
22-Jul-06, 20:50
I got my kids trousers from Next as soon as they told us they were going to do uniform. I got shirts and polo shirts from Tesco and the logoed items from the uniform shop. Have to say that the blazers were horrible, like old mens jackets and the wool versions were almost £55. The zip hoodies and fleecies were lovely.

Uniform was expensive but glad as you only need buy it once a year.....Cannot wait to see Thurso High School kids looking so smart

Is there a web page (and can you post it) for the uniform shop or is it a trip down south?
Thanks

Tickle
22-Jul-06, 21:42
Cannot wait to see Thurso High School kids looking so smart[/quote]

How many kids will turn up wearing it though?

Buttercup
22-Jul-06, 21:44
Buttresses in Thurso will have the stock in, but apparently you than have to take it to Elizabeths to get the Logo sewn on. Afraid i just ordered mine kids stuff from Inverness........M and S have great deals on at the moment, 3 for 2 offers. But i have bought Black Jeans from MandS. They are smart and harder wearing than the 'school ' trousers.....and only £9 !!!
Thought they'd outlawed jeans! :confused

Moby
22-Jul-06, 22:03
I agree with Buttercup - I too was under the impression that jeans (no matter what the colour) were a complete no no.

As for how many will show up wearing the uniform - I have been told by the school that this will be strictly enforced for ALL kids (the Rector apparently has bought in a stock of THS stuff to hand out for the day to kids who do not show up wearing the correct gear)

After the fortune I have spent on all the clobber it better be enforced thats for sure

Tickle
22-Jul-06, 22:08
Thought they'd outlawed jeans! :confused

Black jeans will still look pretty smart. Pupils should be appreciated for making the effort.:confused

Buttercup
22-Jul-06, 22:15
I agree Black jeans can look smart and they'd be more hard wearing than most trousers but they're still not supposed to wear jeans - fullstop. But one thing to consider is how smart will a whole school full of "goths" be! And what was wrong with keeping to the original school colours of gray and red.

Tickle
22-Jul-06, 22:21
I agree Black jeans can look smart and they'd be more hard wearing than most trousers but they're still not supposed to wear jeans - fullstop. But one thing to consider is how smart will a whole school full of "goths" be! And what was wrong with keeping to the original school colours of gray and red.

"goths" i'd chuck em all out, well, after scrubbing all that muck off their faces and pulling off all that metal they have to wear. How do they get away with turning up to school in that state?:confused

may67
22-Jul-06, 22:33
Well for now we'll stick with the black jeans.......all the new clobber was tried on tonight. Hoody, white shirt and school tie, black jeans , and black trainers. Looks really smart.....and more importantly he's happy with it all.

I was told by another parent, who had spoken to the rector regarding trousers/jeans.....that black jeans would be satisfactory!!!!
Hopefully not a case of chinese whispers!!

Buttercup
22-Jul-06, 22:37
Well for now we'll stick with the black jeans.......all the new clobber was tried on tonight. Hoody, white shirt and school tie, black jeans , and black trainers. Looks really smart.....and more importantly he's happy with it all.

I was told by another parent, who had spoken to the rector regarding trousers/jeans.....that black jeans would be satisfactory!!!!
Hopefully not a case of chinese whispers!!
We'll have to wait and see what happens then, I've someone who was told no jeans at all ~ colour irrelevant!

mccaugm
23-Jul-06, 14:23
Re question about the school uniform shop being online, of this I am not sure. However you can contact them and they will post your order to you so reckon thats fine.

Harking back to the enforcement of uniform, my son was at Invergordon Academy which brought in uniform of almost identical style to what Thurso has decided on. There were no issues with it, the kids all just got on with it. The no jeans was not a problem and the kids looked great.

It proved so popular that Alness, Tain, Dingwall and others all did the same although how well that was received I do not know.

I hope the uniform is strictly enforced as I feel that it should be. Why should some kids think they have a choice? (Sorry if that sounds too controversial)

SEB
24-Jul-06, 17:09
Thanks for all the info. In the end I ordered from the Marks and Spencer Website (3 for 2) - the items have all been further reduced so saved a bit more than I expected. Ordered tie from schoolwear shop in Inverness, and Elizabeth's are hoping to have the sew on badges for sale very soon. Hope this is all worth it!!!

scorrie
24-Jul-06, 21:53
Surely the town will be menaced with all these hoodies being dished out to teenagers!!

mccaugm
24-Jul-06, 22:12
I don't like hoodies personally, reckon kids look dodgy with them on. Why are they trying to hide?

moose and Lindsay
24-Jul-06, 22:55
A word of warning!!!

If anyone is planning going to inverness for the uniform (tie,fleece etc) i would phone the shop 1st

I took my kids down to the uniform shop and they had nothing in stock what so ever, not even a tie, so we had to order everything and they posted it free, i don't think much of the fleeces either, they r quite thin!!

So we went to tesco and got shirts and trousers, 3 shirts for £6.75 and trousers were £6.50 a pair

dirdyweeker
24-Jul-06, 23:49
Desperately hope that Wick will follow suit soon and enforce a uniform policy too. I don' think it will be too long.

mccaugm
24-Jul-06, 23:56
Pester the headteacher.....make your voice heard at PTA meetings etc.....put a new thread up on this website....it all helps.

DW
25-Jul-06, 18:59
This is from the Citizens' advice bureau site, relating to Scotland in particular.

"School uniform
The law is not specific on the question of school uniform. As a parent if you do not want your child to wear the school's preferred uniform, the child cannot be disciplined for not wearing it.
If however, a child simply refuses to wear the school uniform the school can discipline her/him if it thinks that academic or disciplinary problems might be caused by the refusal.

Many schools do have a policy covering the wearing of school clothing. The policy may state that certain items must be worn and that other items cannot be worn, for example, jeans. Schools must take religious and cultural requirements into account when drawing up a school uniform policy. You can find out what the school’s policy on school uniform is by asking the head teacher or the governing body."

So, how can you enforce something that is unenforceable? [lol]

Carlo Gambino
25-Jul-06, 19:29
You cannot expect the children in Wick to dress appropriately for school when some of the teachers do not either, not all I hasten to add! just a few

dirdyweeker
25-Jul-06, 21:22
You cannot expect the children in Wick to dress appropriately for school when some of the teachers do not either, not all I hasten to add! just a few
Well, I believe that when my son went for his2 days induction to High School , 2 teachers decided to go shoeless! What a first day impression for him. He still remembers that above other things

DW
26-Jul-06, 11:42

Well, I believe that when my son went for his2 days induction to High School , 2 teachers decided to go shoeless! What a first day impression for him. He still remembers that above other things

Cool, can of worms duly opened!
What is inappropriate dress for teachers then, Carlo? Or perhaps you can let us know what appropriate dress is?

And dirdy, shoeless! barefoot! shoerly not! [lol]

rfr10
26-Jul-06, 11:45
Cool, can of worms duly opened!
What is inappropriate dress for teachers then, Carlo? Or perhaps you can let us know what appropriate dress is?

And dirdy, shoeless! barefoot! shoerly not! [lol]

Why don't they design a teachers uniform!

DW
26-Jul-06, 11:54
Why don't they design a teachers uniform!

Oh dear, here we go with that old chestnut again.

rfr10
26-Jul-06, 12:27
Oh dear, here we go with that old chestnut again.

Any by that, you mean?

DW
26-Jul-06, 12:35
Any by that, you mean?

At some point in any debate about school uniform, someone always makes the suggestion that teachers should have a uniform; and someone always points out that teachers are not pupils.

This normally also signals the start for a general slagging-off of teachers .............. nothing new and highly boring.

'They should behave better, dress better, speak better, yadayadayada.

rfr10
26-Jul-06, 12:40
At some point in any debate about school uniform, someone always makes the suggestion that teachers should have a uniform; and someone always points out that teachers are not pupils.

This normally also signals the start for a general slagging-off of teachers .............. nothing new and highly boring.

'They should behave better, dress better, speak better, yadayadayada.

Do you not think that it is a good idea that they should wear uniform? I'm sure the teachers will be as happy as us with our lovely dark, dull boring uniform.. After saying that, I'm not suggesting that they make a bright pink one.

DW
26-Jul-06, 13:24
Do you not think that it is a good idea that they should wear uniform? I'm sure the teachers will be as happy as us with our lovely dark, dull boring uniform.. After saying that, I'm not suggesting that they make a bright pink one.

Sorry, can't agree. I think it is a nonsensical concept.
I would expect professionals to dress in clean clothes that do not offend and that is as far as it needs to go.

rfr10
26-Jul-06, 13:31
Sorry, can't agree. I think it is a nonsensical concept.
I would expect professionals to dress in clean clothes that do not offend and that is as far as it needs to go.

Ok, getting your point but if teachers were told they had to wear uniform, would you be happy to wear it?

DW
26-Jul-06, 13:34
Ok, getting your point but if teachers were told they had to wear uniform, would you be happy to wear it?

If I applied for such a job where the wearing of a uniform was part of the conditions of employment, then there would be no problem.

However, if I was in a job where the imposition of a uniform had no practical or safety reasons, I would be part of the fight to overturn that decision.

BTW, the school I attended did have a uniform.

celtic 302
26-Jul-06, 13:35
if every teacher in the school had a uniform to wear, then it would be clean and u wouldnt need to worry about it offending anyone. surely a school uniform for teachers and pupils would save both teachers and parents money.

ps. i dont think we should have a unifrom, but if we do get it i think teachers should be made to wear one aswell

rfr10
26-Jul-06, 13:47
If I applied for such a job where the wearing of a uniform was part of the conditions of employment, then there would be no problem.

However, if I was in a job where the imposition of a uniform had no practical or safety reasons, I would be part of the fight to overturn that decision.

BTW, the school I attended did have a uniform.

So doesn't the same go for pupils?

celtic 302
26-Jul-06, 13:53
if a school uniform doesnt help teachers with safety, then it wont help children

DW
26-Jul-06, 15:35
So doesn't the same go for pupils?

if every teacher in the school had a uniform to wear, then it would be clean and u wouldnt need to worry about it offending anyone. surely a school uniform for teachers and pupils would save both teachers and parents money.

ps. i dont think we should have a unifrom, but if we do get it i think teachers should be made to wear one aswell

Teachers are not pupils, they are professional employees who all have at least one university degree and a teaching qualification. They can't all wear the same uniform as many of them work in different disciplines which require different clothing, please just think about it.

This argument is digressing from the thread anyway.
Some people on the forum (parents I assume) think that there should be a uniform.

I have pointed out that, according to the citizens' advice bureau who are normally pretty sharp about the law, there is no basis in Scottish Law for the enforcement of a uniform; however, parents are perfectly free to enforce it upon their children.

A uniform is solely dependent on a partnership between the school management and the parent(s) of every pupil who attends.

We have seen this thread often on the forum and one of the tricky questions is -'How is it that so many pupils at local primary schools wear uniform, yet when they go to the High School, no-one wears it?'

Well, there is a clear dress code that is published to every single primary pupil before they go to the High School, yet most parents appear to 'cop out' by saying ' No-one else wears it, so wee Johnny's not wearing it'.

Therefore - no uniform! Simple eh? [lol]

sassylass
26-Jul-06, 18:14
The school where I work doesn't require uniforms for students nor staff. Just for fun, some staff members decided to promote Red Friday (instead of Casual Friday) and it was a hit. The students got a kick out of seeing so many staff members wearing red and many students joined in. Then a teacher got the idea to take it a step further and offered to order shirts embroidered with the school name and logo for any staff member who was interested. Then the PTA designed shirts and sweatshirts with the school emblem and made them available to the students and staff.

To make a long story short, school pride has increased dramatically by creating a commonality.

DW
26-Jul-06, 18:23
The school where I work doesn't require uniforms for students nor staff.
SNIP
To make a long story short, school pride has increased dramatically by creating a commonality.

I believe some staff in WHS have been wearing the current sweatshirt offering for some time.

Sadly, it hasn't caught on.

However, I believe in a number of schools, pupils have opted for a more formal blazer and shirt code as opposed to the sweaty/hoody type of thing.

The important thing that sassylass said was that school pride has increased; this is vital.