PDA

View Full Version : Driving shoes?

Vistravi
22-Sep-10, 11:29
What shoes do you wear for driving?

I've just discovered that the shoes i wear to drive my instructors car are no use for our own. In fact in our own car those shoes are annoying as they sometimes get stuck under the clutch(I have to pratically hug the steering wheel as i'm a midget lol). Wear and tear making them bend more easily but its not an issue for my instructors car.

My partner can drive in safety boots and a friend of mine can drive in high heels! :eek:

changilass
22-Sep-10, 11:31
I know my driving instructer wouldn't let me drive in heels, had to wear flats, but don't know if this is still the case as that was a while ago.

Try to see if you can manage in trainers or something like that.

Fluff
22-Sep-10, 11:32
I am still learning but I just wear trainers that I wear everyday. I have driven in sandals (proper granny sandals) when it has been hot.

Vistravi
22-Sep-10, 11:37
My flat ballet pumps that have a strap that keeps them on my feet are fine for my instructors car but for our car i have to wear my trainers which are also slightly heavier than my flats so i have to be careful about how much pressure i put on the pedals.

My friend has been driving for ten years lol. She wear heels everywhere ;)

Scarybiscuits03
22-Sep-10, 12:26
I never used to be able to drive in anything other than flats but I can now drive in heels! Takes a bit of practice though! lol I can drive in them better than walk in them in fact!

young_fishin_neep
22-Sep-10, 13:01
i usually drive in my trainers but once in a while ive driven in my work boots

x

squidge
22-Sep-10, 15:01
I havebeen driving for along time and can drive in anything - high heels, flatties,trainers,boots,bare feet. I havent had driving shoes for many years as i learned a very worth while and embarrassing lesson about being too big for your (driving) boots as a result of having driving shoes. I have no wish to repeat the experience so i drive in whatever i happen to be wearing.

poppett
22-Sep-10, 18:57
When I was taught to drive in 1971 my instructor suggested loafer type shoes for driving, although when teaching clutch control it was done barefoot to get the true feel of the clutch biting.

I used to keep loafers in the car and wore them to drive until one night I wondered why my dance partner was towering above me..........I had forgotten to change into the five inch heels before entering Viewfirth and my midi dress was a maxi thanks to the flat shoes.

I can drive in any footwear now but would suggest flatties for learning.

Corrie 3
22-Sep-10, 19:09
For me its wellingtons in winter and flip flops in summer!!!

C3....;):eek::cool:

changilass
22-Sep-10, 20:26
For short journeys I drive in whatever I am wearing at the time, but for longer ones I tend to go barefoot.

George Brims
22-Sep-10, 20:40
Driving in bare feet is illegal many places. I once drove in flip-flops on the way back from the beach. Coming down a long hill with a hairpin bend at the bottom, I moved my foot from accelerator to brake and the damn flip-flop got tangled with the brake pedal. I couldn't get it untangled in time, so I had to take the car down a couple of gears, then slow down further with the hand brake. Bit of a "need new underwear" moment. Always made sure to change back into some kind of closed in shoe after that.

Dadie
22-Sep-10, 21:02
Driving back from a wedding dance....I swapped my high heels for trainers and thick socks...
The police stopped us and I was mortified incase I had to get out the car as I looked silly in my posh frock and trainer ensemble...
Thankfully I didnt have to get out...
Oh the reason we were stopped in the first place was because someone had run over a cow and it was dead/def down in the middle of the road!

Bazeye
22-Sep-10, 21:16
For short journeys I drive in whatever I am wearing at the time, but for longer ones I tend to go barefoot.

You didnt gorge yourself on Toblerones whilst driving barefoot did you?

Vistravi
22-Sep-10, 21:34
Driving back from a wedding dance....I swapped my high heels for trainers and thick socks...
The police stopped us and I was mortified incase I had to get out the car as I looked silly in my posh frock and trainer ensemble...
Thankfully I didnt have to get out...
Oh the reason we were stopped in the first place was because someone had run over a cow and it was dead/def down in the middle of the road!

I had to do that when i drove the car to wick for my step sisters wedding in july. Had a lovely red dress on and had to wear a pair of flats to drive there. Changed into my 3 inch heels when i arrived there. What a sight i must have looked :lol:

changilass
22-Sep-10, 21:50
You didnt gorge yourself on Toblerones whilst driving barefoot did you?

Ewww cannae stand yon triangular thinggies yeuk.

joxville
23-Sep-10, 00:29
I find slingbacks to be most comfortable when driving my company Volvo. [lol]

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/5595/volvol90.jpg

Logical
23-Sep-10, 11:47
I find in cars with pedals close together, just socks works best.

silverlady
23-Sep-10, 12:35
There is a very good article on the homepage of the BBC site - safety concern over driving shoes. Its a 2min55sec video, and is very informative, especially concerning wedge heels

Vistravi
23-Sep-10, 21:29
I find in cars with pedals close together, just socks works best.

Thats what is wrong in our car. In my instructors car its a different story. lots of room in his car. Socks might be moe comfy than my trainers ;)

Dadie
23-Sep-10, 21:34
Get some ballet pump type shoes then.
New look has loads (on sale at the moment) and just keep them in the car.
I love them but its getting to be the wrong season for them..cold wet feet time of year!

Vistravi
23-Sep-10, 21:56
Get some ballet pump type shoes then.
New look has loads (on sale at the moment) and just keep them in the car.
I love them but its getting to be the wrong season for them..cold wet feet time of year!

Aye i know. Already back wearing my thick water tight boots i wore all winter last year. Not used to the weight of them yet, i can't believe at the moment that i wore them everyday while pregnant and often walking the hour walk to work in them. Won't be long til i'm used to the weight of them though.

They're great for puddles and snow though! Ness islands were flooded a couple of times last winter and when it wasn't completly flooded just the path, i could walk right through the water through ness islands.

Dadie
23-Sep-10, 22:05
If you get the right sort you can squish them up in your bag.
Handy for walking home after a night out too:lol:
High heels in hand and comfy shoes on..bliss:D

sweetpea
25-Sep-10, 10:02
When I first started driving I used to wear trainers but now I can drive in anything, sometimes if I'm wearing heels I take them off and drive barefoot.

smallvolume
28-Sep-10, 07:57
I never used to be able to drive in anything other than flats.
Formal Prom Dress (http://www.goodorient.com/prom_Dress_C333)
Wedding Ideas (http://www.goodorient.com/Wedding_C671)
Cheap Wedding Dress (http://www.goodorient.com/Wedding_C671)

Walter Ego
28-Sep-10, 08:58
I never used to be able to drive in anything other than flats.

Absolutely ignorant and downright dangerous.

You are nothing but a menace to your neighbours.

I'm sick of hearing about yobboes driving round in blocks of flats. Irresponsible behavior.

How do you get the car up to the upper floors? Is it a Smart car?

annemarie482
28-Sep-10, 14:53
had my driving lesson today in my new trainers.......not good!!
felt all wrong lol
think i'll be sticking to me ole faithfuls for my test in a few weeks lol