PDA

View Full Version : Starting research on Budge family

Crusoe
05-Sep-10, 01:48
Hello all

Just taking the first steps to research into my wife's family on her mother's side looking for a possible starting point.

According to information passed through the immeadiate family her grandfather was John Alexander Budge from Lybster Caithness. He emmigrated to Canada sometime prior to 1920. He married in Winnipeg Manitoba in 1921 and had 4 daughters Amy, Betty (Elizabeth), Johanna and Mary. John's wife died around 1934 and he returned to Caithness where his sisters helped bring up the children. One of his sisters was possibly called Emma Budge aged around 50 in the mid 1930's and had a shop in Lybster its possible John was involved in the shop before he emmigrated.

John's profession entered in my mother-in-law's marriage certificate is a police constable but we are not sure if that was his profession in Canada or Scotland. John if he was similar age to his late wife would have been born around 1890.

Hope the names and details match with someone else's research just so I can find some starting point for mine.

Thanks

Stan

trinkie
05-Sep-10, 11:55
Good Morning, here's what I found in the 1901 census.

Donald Budge 53 Fisherman
Amelia 45
Maggie 20
John 17
Emma 8
Christina Mary Jessie 8months

all at Main Street, Lybster......

This could possibly be the family your are looking for...
Good Luck,
Trinkie

trinkie
05-Sep-10, 12:03
There's a John Budge going to Ca from Southampton
arriving 2nd June 1911 occ Police Const. I cant make out his age could be 27yrs.

ship '' Arconia''

Trinkie

trinkie
05-Sep-10, 12:14
found Attestation Papers for 1st WW

John Budge Fireman 447 Agnes St W'peg
born Lybster, Caithness Scotland
birth 1886
single

next of kin Donald Budge of Skaill, Lybster Caithness

what do you think ??
Trinkie

trinkie
05-Sep-10, 12:32
I quote

'' 1900-1920

The former shop of Willie Gunn was taken over from his widow Amelia sometime around 1910 by
Mrs Maggie Budge whose people had a shop in Skaill on the north side of Buchollie
When she married in1914 the shop at Quatre Bras was taken over by her sister Emma who conducted
business there for another forty five years. Prior to taking over this shop, Emma Budge was
employed by John Mowat draper, where she knitted stockings on a small machine. ''

taken from The Book of Lybster by Donald A Young
E&OE

Trinkie

trinkie
05-Sep-10, 12:39
What luck !
I've just found a photo of Emma Budge outside her shop in Lybster. Well, you can hardly make her out but it's a nice old picture,

Trinkie

trinkie
05-Sep-10, 18:11
If you go to this site www.graven-images.org.uk

see new Latheron cemetery, look up Budge, Donald number 173. There's a picture of the Gravestone too.

This could well be your family .

You will enjoy looking at that great site, we have to thank our friend Fred for putting it together for us.

Trinkie

Crusoe
05-Sep-10, 23:05
Can't thank you enough Trinkie... all your info seems to correlate with mine. That attestation is definitely my wife's grandfather because she also had the address of her mother in Canada as Agnes Street Winnipeg.

Also the grave inscription matches what she knew about her Aunt Amy and Aunt Betty who both died relatively young.

Just one more thing Trinkie... what is the source of the photo you have of Emma Budge? Is it the book you quoted from? If so I'll have to try and track down a copy.

To be honest I thought my initial post was going to be a bit of a shot in the dark. I never expected so much good information so quickly. In fact I'll probably have to wait till we get back from our holidays to tell my wife all this information because she'll have me spending the entire break sitting in front of the computer trying to find out more :D.

Thanks again Trinkie

Stan

trinkie
06-Sep-10, 07:41
Good !

The Book of Lybster I mentioned above is no longer in print , alas.

Trinkie

Fly
15-Sep-10, 23:10
Good !

The Book of Lybster I mentioned above is no longer in print , alas.

Trinkie

Try Amazon

Oddquine
16-Sep-10, 00:18
Try Amazon

Not at £158.01 plus postage a throw! :eek: I'll make do with periodic reading of the library reference copy!