PDA

View Full Version : Router password

daviddd
03-Sep-10, 20:59
I just bought an ipod touch and am trying to log onto the internet. I am asked for a password but when I type in my usual one it isn't accepted. I have WPA-PSK security active. Is the password that the ipod is asking for the router password? As far as I can remember (from 2 years ago when the router was set up) the router password was the same as my e-mail etc password.

I have a Plusnet account using a Thomson TG585 router, for which I understand the IP is 192.168.1.254. Can anyone help? I can't get through to Plusnet tonight to ask.

Julia
03-Sep-10, 22:05
Have you tried leaving the password blank?

Niall Fernie
03-Sep-10, 22:44
If you can log into your router's admin from a connected PC then the easiest thing to do would be to reset the password for your wireless security to something very memorable and then update the password on all connecting devices (PCs, xBoxes, iPods etc)

daviddd
04-Sep-10, 07:43
I've tried to log into the router but it's asking for the password Niall. I tried wirelessly - does it make any difference if I try with a cable connection.

Yes, I've tried a blank password Julia

b3n
04-Sep-10, 09:21
your password for wireless will be different from your router password (unless you changed it). If you connect via the ethernet cable you will be able to connect to the internet as it wont ask you for a password but you will still need a password to login to the admin of the router.

the Default for your router is Username = Adminstrator (case sensitive); Password is left blank

daviddd
04-Sep-10, 12:18
B3N's post rang a bell - I remembered at last that the router access was admin / admin! I still didn't find a password though but realised that the WPA-PSK code was the one needed by the ipod - all is now well. Thanks guys.

dx100uk
05-Sep-10, 01:36
doh!

dx